Choosing a corps

choosing a corps  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What factor most influenced your choice to march with a particular corps?

• Region - I marched with the local corps
    • My corps plays my kind of music
    • My friend(s) march at this corps
    • cost
    • Random - Picked a corps out of a hat
    • Saw an advertisment at a souvie booth/dcp
    • Staff members
    • got cut and joined another corps
    • Wanted to win gold
    • legacy - family marches with this corps
    • wanted to march more than one corps
    • It was my dream corps (even if it was 2000 miles away)
    • other: please post what it is

I've spent my career marching with whichever corps I thought I could be useful with. It started out being the smaller local corps and then branched out to smaller corps that happen to be further and further from home.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it was a couple of reasons:

* I marched a corps that a good friend of mine taught

* I marched a corps that had never made finals, and in their first year of World Class did very well. I was hoping to be in the corps when they first made finals: to me, that would've been SO much cooler than winning a ring with a corps that wins them often. My dream was to make history by helping push the corps into Finals for the first time. Alas, it didn't happen (came close: throughout the year we beat finalist corps several times, and we got the highest score in the corps' history).

* I marched in the corps because when I went to my first camp it just felt right. I really clicked with the vets and I had a great vibe about the staff. I had experience with another corps who was Top 3 and had won Championships, but I didn't like the vibe of that corps at all; I was just trying to make the corps because I liked their shows, not because I was actually enjoying any part of the experience. But when I went to the non-finalist corps, I loved the vibe and it felt like 'home' long before I ever marched a show.

Both local and friends. I was convinced to fill a hole in early June and it was one of he best decisions I've made. Dunno about next year though.

This is a good poll and find it quite interesting that the powers that be currently lend no credence to the importance of divisional or regional competition or growth while The poll so far has regional considerations ahead well over 2-1. hmmmmmmmm....??????? I know this poll is early but am I missing something here?

Hmm.. I haven't moved in yet :(

but I wentout for my dream corps, got cut, wasn't going to march... then was convinced by friend/horn seargant to fly 2000 miles to go march his corps. Was not a mistake at all.

I'd still like to try out my dream corps... but it will probably never happen.

I wish I could choose more than 1.

Thunder - region

Phantom - Dream corps

Magic - region

Madison - staff

My first summer, I've had 3 yrs of experiencs and after this summer will have 3 more.

I went purely on what I thought God had Given me. I went with a Corps that I had never heard of, was completely at the other side of the country, knew nobody. All I knew was they needed a Contra player and my dream was to march. I tool it... had no clue what I was gettin myself into. stayed with that corps my 2nd year, went on to a different Corps, for financial reasons mainly, and had a good time. I'm now going back to my Original Corps in 2010 and am proud of it. I'll be a 3rd year, and in a uniform that I feel right in.