“Double Win” versus “Tie”

Not to get sidetracked, but if DCI is marketing themselves as " a sport " will more booing at these DCI competitions follow ?

My guess...... yes

There are few ' sport " competitions where booing is not commonplace. It is of course one of the unsavory aspects of sport competitions. But booing and sport go together like apple pie and ice cream. And especially at international sporting venues.

As I said, they market themselves as being comparable to some sort of sport, but most people realize (including DCI) that it isn't. And audience make-up being what it is, crowds will behave the way they normally behave at a drum corps/marching band show...booing is a rarity. And it will most likely remain so. To put it another way, DCI has been using this "Summer Music Games" angle (now "Marching Music's Major League") since 1989. That's TWENTY YEARS. If booing hasn't become commonplace by now, what makes anyone think it will all the sudden be?

Edited by rut-roh

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I wonder how much the whole Marching's Major Leagues thing was geared towards getting on ESPN. Now that DCI accomplished that -- and decided it wasn't worth it -- I wonder if this marketing angle will diminish over time.

We'll see, I guess :peek:

As I said, they market themselves as being comparable to some sort of sport, but most people realize (including DCI) that it isn't. And audience make-up being what it is, crowds will behave the way they normally behave at a drum corps/marching band show...booing is a rarity. And it will most likely remain so.

Maybe. But there seems to be a correlation time wise with DCI's decision to emphasis the ' sport " aspect of DCI a couple of years back and a noticeable increase in booing at some Drum Corps shows. Was this unrelated to DCI 's new found emphasis on marketing the " sport competition ' aspect of the activity ? Perhaps. But there could be a corelation to the increased incidents. It's hard to say. But to dismiss the correlation out of hand would be folly in my view.

As for marketing DCI Drum Corps as a competitive " sport " my admonition would be : .... be careful what you wish for.

NCAA football , Basketball, Hockey, etc games are replete with vociferous booing as soon as the 17-22 college aged competitors get off the team bus at some campuses. And umps and refs are booed at just about every sport competition in the world, let alone the US.

' Just sayin'.

Edited by BRASSO

Maybe. But there seems to be a correlation time wise with DCI's decision to emphasis the ' sport " aspect of DCI a couple of years back and a noticeable increase in booing at some Drum Corps shows. Was this unrelated to DCI 's new found emphasis on marketing the " sport competition ' aspect of the activity ? Perhaps. But there could be a corelation to the increased incidents. It's hard to say. But to dismiss the correlation out of hand would be folly in my view.

As I stated above, this marketing approach is nothing new. Certainly a lot older than a couple years. The Summer Music Games thing started in 1988 or 1989, and now it's Marching Music's Major League. If booing hasn't taken off by now, (and a few isolated incidents in the span of hundreds and hundreds of shows through the span of twenty years do not a trend make), then it most likely won't.

As for marketing DCI Drum Corps as a competitive " sport " my admonition would be : .... be careful what you wish for.

If they were actually marketing it as a sport, saying DCI IS A SPORT, then I would agree. They're not. They're marketing it to be something kinda sorta like a sport, but not. Then again, WGI has marketed itself with the sport angle more directly than DCI ever has, calling themselves the "Sport of the Arts." I've been attending WGI Finals events for years and years, and booing is definitely not commonplace.

Edited by rut-roh

As I stated above, this marketing approach is nothing new. Certainly a lot older than a couple years. The Summer Music Games thing started in 1988 or 1989, and now it's Marching Music's Major League. If booing hasn't taken off by now, (and a few isolated incidents in the span of hundreds and hundreds of shows through the span of twenty years do not a trend make), then it most likely won't.

If they were actually marketing it as a sport, saying DCI IS A SPORT, then I would agree. They're not. They're marketing it to be something kinda sorta like a sport, but not. Then again, WGI has marketed itself with the sport angle more directly than DCI ever has, calling themselves the "Sport of the Arts." I've been attending WGI Finals events for years and years, and booing is definitely not commonplace.

going from PBS to ESPN was definately a watershed moment in the activity though.

DCI dipped into different waters with that decision.

The typical audience viewer for most PBS shows is a different breed than your typical ESPN viewer.

A WHOLE lot different demographic audience.

DCI rethought that decision in concert with ESPN 's post show evaluation.

And it appears DCI and ESPN have decided it wasn't a good fit. Perhaps the isolated and sporatic booing we heard at a few shows the last few years will go the way of the Drum Corps and ESPN alliance and not be an issue like you said. Time will tell.

Edited by BRASSO

Perhaps the isolated and sporatic booing we heard at a few shows the last few years will go the way of the Drum Corps and ESPN alliance and not be an issue like you said. Time will tell.

Anything from the last few years pales in comparison to the responses I heard in 1993 whenever Star won a show and 94-97 when Madison didn't get the score that the audience thought they deserved.

Booing has always been with us and will always be with us.

Edited by Pinwiz

yea, why should the other corps get a memento from saturday night? I think all the losing corps should have to stand at attention while the winning corps throws food and sewage at them. They will have to bring out all the corps who ended their season on Friday and Thursday too. Then they will know their place. Know they are not as good. Know they are not worthy.

And they will be so pumped to come back next year to try to win! The bigger their failure, the hungrier they will be for next year, right? The extra uniform cleaning fees that their corps endures will also encourage the losing corps to try harder next year.

After all, if only the 12th place corps tried as hard as the 1st place corps, they could have won.

Wow, if you're going to argue with what I said at least bring a shred of rational thought to the table. Not to mention you completely missed the point of what I was saying. Read it a few more times to absorb what I was actually saying rather than impulsively hitting the reply button next time.

I guess ties can make things interesting between corps from year to year. No doubt there is huge rivaly between the PR and BD camps regarding '96 and last year.

I dunno, with all due respect to PR I doubt there is much of an existing rivalry between a corps that has won a championship 12 times and a corps that has won a championship twice.

well there are bitter BD fans out there who are upset over last year and I know of Phantom fans who are bitter over '96 so I think there is something between the two corps. But perhaps its not as big a rivalry as between other corps.

SO back on the topic, I personally do not like ties.

The way I understand it, under the old rule, if two corps received the same final number (score) at the tabulation, then there was a specific set of criteria that would determine who won. As long as the rule is stated FROM THE BEGINNING and all those participating know what they are, then I feel that the outcome of choosing a "champion or winner" is justified. If you know going in that hypothitically speaking: if you tie for a placement then they will determine the winner of that placement by the group with the highest number of caption points....so if you know this going in and you aim for the highest possible score in each caption, what would be the difference if you tied and won because more of your captions were higher scores then your competitor or you won by 0.001 because of one caption? As designers, staff, members, as long as you know the criteria, then it should be valid......now that they have removed the "tie breaker" isn't this a mute point? :peek: I have been involved with groups as a member and administration that has tied for a placement and in one instance a lot of prize money and I have to say I felt jipped both times. As was said before I find that not always being the winner is what helps you to dig deeper, try harder, play smarter, just mho