“Double Win” versus “Tie”

A tie is, and always will be, a cop out. They're are indecisive and anti-climatic. All the corps will do well in their own way and deserve praise; but in the end, there will always be winners and those that just come short. If we don't like that aspect of the competition, we might as well get rid of the judges and the placements and just have a big ol' exhibition once every season. No winners, no losers. How's that?

Edit: Now, I do know that sometimes the numbers just add up that way and that I can understand. I guess like some others, I'm not huge on the "everyone's a winner" sort of thing; but if the numbers just add up that way, then I suppose that's just how it goes.

Edited by washingtoncorpsfan

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a bit of hypocrisy in the Tie debate, because I think everyone would be ecstatic if there was a tie for 12th on Friday but a lot of people would be angry if there was a tie for 1st on Saturday.

I'm fine with a tie if there was at least some sort of minor tiebreaker applied first. Rather than the confusion ordinal system that existed before just give the win to the corps that received the higher score from the most judges. If that's a tie, then it's a Tie.

Okay, my comparing DCI to sports was probably not a great example. I thought it would be but like it was stated, sports teams physically affect the outcome of the other. DC does not have that.

Let's get some opinions of people who have actually experienced a tie while marching corps or even marching band. How did it feel to tie someone for a particular place. Did you feel good or cheated? I'm going to guess the those expecting to win and end up tied are the ones who are mad. The people that go in to the competition not expecting to win, the so called "underdog", and end up tied probably feel pretty good about the outcome.

What do you say members of '96, '99, '00? (Or any other year that had a tie somewhere)

In 1996, I was on the field—during the finale victory performances of Blue Devils and Phantom Regiment—with former Blue Devils director Mike Moxley, who stated to me, "This is wonderful. Twice the number of kids get to go home with the trophy."

I never forgot his magnanimous outlook.

(I don't remember for sure who went home with the single trophy that was there that night and which corps got a duplicate trophy later. I seem to remember Blue Devils telling Phantom to take it as it was the corps' first time in that position.)

There is a bit of hypocrisy in the Tie debate, because I think everyone would be ecstatic if there was a tie for 12th on Friday but a lot of people would be angry if there was a tie for 1st on Saturday.

Thats because we'd love to see 13 corps at finals.. its more drum corps!

Football coaches have always been fond of saying that a tie is like kissing your sister - it's nice but it's no big deal. However, Drum Corps isn't football. If two scores are tabulated to a tie then I'm good with that.

Drum corps is not a zero-sum activity. Ties are perfectly reasonable.

The nature of the competition makes picking a suitable score really difficult.

One example might be standardized testing. Say your friend got a 31 on the ACT, and you also got a 31 on the ACT. It doesn't matter if you did better on the math section than your friend but worse on the science, you got a 31/36 possible. Your relative level of perfection is about 86%. Now say a third friend didn't take the ACT since his college choice didn't require it, but instead took the SAT. His score was a 2060 out of 2400 possible, also netting him a relative level of perfection near 86%. The SAT and ACT are obviously different tests, so comparing the relative achievement level is the only way we have of really deciding who scored higher- and even that is fuzzy.

o.k., so in DCI terms now-

It is mid-tour, and your corps, the Orange Devils, has a nearly flawless drumline and an amazing hornline. However, the guard is faltering this year. A rival corps, Canada Crown, is lower in drums but the same in horns and higher in guard. The judges decide that the Orange Devils show last night was about 86% of the way to being a perfect performance of that particular show, and that Canada Crown's show was also about 86% of the way to being a perfect run of their particular show. So since both corps are achieving at the same relative rate of perfection, they tie- unless one corps show is visibly more difficult to perform.

Meanwhile, scores from a third corps, the Orangemen, have come in- 86.025. The judges have clearly decided that the Orangemen are achieving about an 86% perfection level in their performance, but they feel the Orange Devils and Canada Crown performances were somehow slightly less perfect. This may have been subconsciously influenced by many things, including previous scores, performance order, how hungry the judge was, where the judge marched, changing weather and field conditions, fan response, or a perceived difference in performance difficulty, which is very arbitrarily defined. The Orangemen may not have even been at the same show. I personally would say that I wouldn't want to have to make the call, particularly at a regional or finals, if it came down to hundredths of a point. There are enough differentiating factors in the two shows that if you really are looking into the thrid decimal place to find out who was closer to perfect - chances are they were indistinguishable.

It can be pretty tempting to watch two corps back-to-back and thoughtlessly compare them against each other, but what really needs to be happening is that each corps is compared only to itself. There is no reason that if two corps both achieve the same relative level of perfection in their performance that one of them should be stripped of a title.

There can't be ties or double wins win it comes to a world title. There can only be one...

If 2 track athletes run their 400 meter race in exactly the same time, should there be a tiebreaker? Would it be fair to award it to the person who ran the first 100 meters the fastest?

In fact, if DCI wants to break ties, maybe they should give it to the corps who places #1 in FEWER captions. After all, if you are placing #1 in more captions, but finish with the same score as someone else, that means you are not as consistent. Therefore, across the board, maybe you were not the better corps...

There can't be ties or double wins win it comes to a world title. There can only be one...

in the 1984 Olympics there was a tie for gold in pommel horse

in 1988 there was a tie for gold in horizontal bar