early shows

early shows  

104 members have voted

1. 1. early shows...which do you prefer to see

• complete but dirty show
    • clean first half but stand still second half

now a days who doesnt have a full show done by the end of move ins thats decent on the field?

I've seen it before from "lower tier" corps.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i say world class should be full show but open class if not sure stand still

To be fair, we don't get "complete" shows until the last couple weeks of the season. Phantom THE main offender imho. 2006 and 2008 were good shows that became GREAT when the real ending was put in, and it's a shame that more people didn't get to see it live over the summer.

That being said, I don't mind an incomplete show as long as I can get the main selling point of the ending. When I saw Cadets 2005 the first time the last minute of drill wasn't done but we got the Multiple Schoolgirls which was the key moment in the ending.

Whether or not the show is completely on the field, a corps should have an appropriate ending on any early show day. If you have 3/4 movements done then please end on the third movement. Anything else just looks sloppy.

My 2 cents:

I have never, will never and refuse to understand why, I this day and age with corps doing upwards of 1 months worth of Spring Training why any corps wold ever leave Everydays with an incomplete product. To me, it shows a lack of effort by staff and design team.

I hate refering to MY DAY but I'm going to. In 2002-2003, SW did two weeks flat of everydays and hit the ground running in Toledo for our first show. On staff from 05-07, SW hit the road with a full show as well.

This is why I no longer see June drum corps. It's a shame too, because June typically has all the shows that are close to me. It's what I get for living in Northern Michigan, I guess.

Many corps field a complete show at first, just to have something and then it completely morphs into a different product by then end. Phantom is a good example. They seem to have an idea to put out a fresh spin on their show every week. Granted not all corps have the time or desire to do that so each corps takes it own time.

Whether or not the show is completely on the field, a corps should have an appropriate ending on any early show day. If you have 3/4 movements done then please end on the third movement. Anything else just looks sloppy.

If corps did that, then people would be sitting up in the stands with a confused look on their faces when they hear something that doens't sound like the end of the show. It's too bad things come between a corps having a complete show on the field, like time constraints, not having enough members moving into spring training at the same time, or staff members having other commitments at the same time they're writing for drum corps. Things happen. What really matters is what they have at the end of the season. Hate to say it, but it's really too bad for people who only get a chance to see a corps at the beginning of the season, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. It's been that way for years now and I am not sure it'll change unless all corps had longer spring training and everyone in those corps, staff and members alike, stopped everything that's happening in their real lives and went straight to doing drum corps.

If corps did that, then people would be sitting up in the stands with a confused look on their faces when they hear something that doens't sound like the end of the show.

haha, yeah I saw Cavies in '03 very early in the season and they ended at the company front line, the one just before they start remaking the opening set. The did some tag ending like V - I. It was a total "are they done?" moment.

Frankly, if the choice is between the "complete show" with rough performance at the end, or a shorter show, or the complete musical show with the end standing still, or a full-length presentation with a section of temporarily simplified drill where the standing-O drill highlight will be inserted mid-season....doesn't matter so much to me. Let each corps choose.

I would just like to see all those options judged fairly. That means penalties for corps that fail to meet the minimum time limit, and deductions for incomplete design. A corps with only 8 minutes of show should score 80% of what a 10-minute show of equivalent quality would score.

Frankly, if the choice is between the "complete show" with rough performance at the end, or a shorter show, or the complete musical show with the end standing still, or a full-length presentation with a section of temporarily simplified drill where the standing-O drill highlight will be inserted mid-season....doesn't matter so much to me. Let each corps choose.

I would just like to see all those options judged fairly. That means penalties for corps that fail to meet the minimum time limit, and deductions for incomplete design. A corps with only 8 minutes of show should score 80% of what a 10-minute show of equivalent quality would score.

Let's hope this never happens. Some things you just can't help, especially at the beginning of the season. I would totally agree with you if it were the middle of the season and everyone was there to make sure they had a finished product, but like I said before, it's the beginning of the season and people still have other commitments to take care of before they are totally commited to drum corps for the summer.