Official 2009 Blue Knights Thread

I have to admit that after reading your post I wanted to reply with some kind of response to attack the experience that you had illustrated here. However, I will not do that. I can only say that I am sorry if your efforts were met with the reactions that you describe and that you had to walk away from the organization. As an alumni and a passionate supporter of BK, I would hope that those who support the Blue Knights - members, fans, and alumni alike - see this post for what it is and realize what kind of damage any one person can do to an organization and its volunteers. With that said, I would politely request anyone to use other threads or forums to vent their frustrations. These official threads are meant to be for the members and fans alike for the show this season. I dont question your content, but question why here. Again bstar82 I am sorry for your situation and experiences, but I can assure you that the majority of BK fans and alumni that represent the best that drum corps has to offer.

Thanks for your response Jason. And in no way am I saying the entire corps as a whole has turned me away, just a few select individuals. The only reason I brought it up here is, in a earlier post someone had mentioned how short staffed the corps was when it came to volunteers last year. I was more than ready and able to commit to the entire season. Well this is my valid reason why I am not there. I know my situation and I don't pretend to know why others may have chose not to volunteer. But you are right in that all it takes is one person to ruin another's experience with any group whether it be drum corps, softball, bowling or any activity. And I do wish them well, but not at my expense or time any longer...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the sound of the cold, whistling wind at the end of BK's video clips. Would "sampling" this and playing it electronically be allowed under the new rules? It could make for a really neat sound effect at some point during their show this year.

I bet you could replicated that sound effect by natural means :thumbs-up:

After spending countless hours as a volunteer in the past I’m arguably one of the biggest BK fans ever and can’t wait to see what they have in store for us this year! Great staff and incredible kids!!!! Only 12 more days to their first show in Albuquerque! We already have our tickets and I’m eagerly counting the hours!!!! Yes, we’ll bring the homemade cookies…..

Anybody else think their show has a lot of promise this year? I feel like this may be a good year for BK.

Thanks for your response Jason. And in no way am I saying the entire corps as a whole has turned me away, just a few select individuals. The only reason I brought it up here is, in a earlier post someone had mentioned how short staffed the corps was when it came to volunteers last year. I was more than ready and able to commit to the entire season. Well this is my valid reason why I am not there. I know my situation and I don't pretend to know why others may have chose not to volunteer. But you are right in that all it takes is one person to ruin another's experience with any group whether it be drum corps, softball, bowling or any activity. And I do wish them well, but not at my expense or time any longer...

That's a great sign of maturity.... "I do wish them well, but not at my expense or time any longer." Wow, ok so you're giving up on the kids in the corps because you had a bad experience with staff... Ok, that makes no sense. "Kids, I don't want you to do well because I'm mad at some staff members."

I might be a giant BK Homer and may be a person that "Thinks BK can do no wrong," but that's because I've sent students/and former students there over the past 5 or so years. In fact this year 3 of my current/past students are marching and in my eyes, THEY CAN DO NO WRONG!!! I can't speak for your experience with the corps, but did you ever talk to Mark about it? He's one of the most kind hearted giving people and he would listen to any concerns you have.... If so, I understand, but to use a fan thread to put a political statement? Come on, stop the whining and the drama....

Anyway, back to the thread, I really have a lot of excitement to see this year's BK... A I stated somewhere else, my only qualm is there is no day rehearsal in San Antonio this year. (Mark reconsider, I always love seeing you rehearse here... :thumbup:) But none-the-less my wife and I are going to celebrate her B-Day in style the night before SA and go watch BK in her hometown of Houston. So two shows will still be cool! Gotta give a shout out to my peeps: GO BRITTANY, GO CHRIS AND GO ZACH!!!!!! FREEZE YOUR BUTTS OFF AND SHIVER EVIL!!!! :smile:

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

That's a great sign of maturity.... "I do wish them well, but not at my expense or time any longer." Wow, ok so you're giving up on the kids in the corps because you had a bad experience with staff... Ok, that makes no sense. "Kids, I don't want you to do well because I'm mad at some staff members."

I might be a giant BK Homer and may be a person that "Thinks BK can do no wrong," but that's because I've sent students/and former students there over the past 5 or so years. In fact this year 3 of my current/past students are marching and in my eyes, THEY CAN DO NO WRONG!!! I can't speak for your experience with the corps, but did you ever talk to Mark about it? He's one of the most kind hearted giving people and he would listen to any concerns you have.... If so, I understand, but to use a fan thread to put a political statement? Come on, stop the whining and the drama....

Anyway, back to the thread, I really have a lot of excitement to see this year's BK... A I stated somewhere else, my only qualm is there is no day rehearsal in San Antonio this year. (Mark reconsider, I always love seeing you rehearse here... :thumbup:) But none-the-less my wife and I are going to celebrate her B-Day in style the night before SA and go watch BK in her hometown of Houston. So two shows will still be cool! Gotta give a shout out to my peeps: GO BRITTANY, GO CHRIS AND GO ZACH!!!!!! FREEZE YOUR BUTTS OFF AND SHIVER EVIL!!!! :smile:

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

I never said, " Kids, I don't want you to do well because I'm mad at some staff members". Where did I say that? Show me what page that I made that quote! You cannot because I never said that. You think you know what's going on here, but you have absolutely no idea what I have gone thru so stop pretending. When I house kids in my home on MY dime, and they break the rules of my home, that is an issue, not whining and drama. And when you spend as much money and time as I have supporting a corps here in town working at bingo year round, on the equipment truck and in the kitchen making meals and sponsoring some of the kids so they do not have to pay the corps a single penny and then an issue arises in my home and w/ some staff members? Yes, I am going to say something about it whether you like it or not. Since I wrote about this I have received 1/2 dozen PM's and emails from people involved with the corps being incredibly apologetic and comforting about what has happened. Why can't you especially when you have no idea of the circumstances?

And I'm not going to call them out on here personally, I wouldn't do that. But your lack of sincerity and humility is the exact same kind of attitude I have witnessed from some staff members. You would think as a former member you yourself would do anything possible to keep donors and volunteers around in the corps that you love so much. Not to chastise thier sincere efforts. Shame on you...

My contribution to drum corps is in the thousands of dollars a year anywhere from 5-10k. Why don't you step up with that every year for the next 16 years that I have done it and take my place and we'll call it even?

P.S. Jason can you relate to this a little better now?

Honestly, bstar, it doesn't take a BK alum or supporter to see what you think of them.

Anyway, I'd be happy to volunteer for BK next year. I've sat in on a lot of their rehearsals, and I really like the way they run. Especially the staff. And every other volunteer I've ever talked to has had nothing but great things to say. My gaol as a volunteer will be to be as invisible as possible while trying to help as much as I can. Some volunteers just get in the way and make more work and drama, after all.

I might end up helping out Spokane Thunder instead...if they're around next year, and I really hope they are.

Honestly, bstar, it doesn't take a BK alum or supporter to see what you think of them.

Anyway, I'd be happy to volunteer for BK next year. I've sat in on a lot of their rehearsals, and I really like the way they run. Especially the staff. And every other volunteer I've ever talked to has had nothing but great things to say. My gaol as a volunteer will be to be as invisible as possible while trying to help as much as I can. Some volunteers just get in the way and make more work and drama, after all.

I might end up helping out Spokane Thunder instead...if they're around next year, and I really hope they are.

How do you know I have not been as invisible as possible?

I have a strong love for BK, more than you can possibly imagine, that's what has made this so difficult for me to walk away from. I love how people on here assume how I want them to do horrible and I hate them. I've never said anything close to that. I didn't like their show design and music last year, but that didn't make me dislike them. There was quite a few folks on here who didn't stated they didn't care for their show either. That doesn't automatically make them haters. I loved their shows especially 05-07, some of my favorite shows from any corps this decade. Mark is one of the incredibly passionate caring persons I have ever met. Too bad some of his alumni can't follow his lead, because imo he is a great leader. But some things are out of his control and I understand that and do not blame him personally.