'89 Phantom Regiment

JUNE 27-28, 1989

A sigh of relief as we realize the corps has escaped the problems of our post-tour mordem. We're ready to open up the gap back up between us and our competition. We left for Streator late Wednesday night. We were down for a few hours of sleep on arrival.

THURSDAY, JUNE 29, 1989

We awoke to a broght, sunny day for a few hours of practice before demolishing the green guys. The staff found an abandoned mine field behind the stadium a few blocks away to practice on. After a long relaxing dinner we warmed up to blow the faces of our friends, the Streatorians. We succeeded in doing so and also opened up the gap between us and the world. After the the show we headed off to Indiana and had a good night's sleep.

STREATOR, IL

PHANTOM REGIMENT: 79.1

CAVALIERS: 77.0

MADISON SCOUTS: 76.9

SKY RYDERS: 71.5

TROOPERS: 60.0

GLASSMEN: 51.2

LIMITED EDITION: 45.4

KNIGHTS 42.1

NORTHERN AURORA: 40.0

GAURDSMEN: 28.7

Weather information for Streator, IL on 6.29.1989 can be found at http://www08.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=WEA...JUNE+29%2C+1989

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JUNE 27-28, 1989

A sigh of relief as we realize the corps has escaped the problems of our post-tour mordem. We're ready to open up the gap back up between us and our competition. We left for Streator late Wednesday night. We were down for a few hours of sleep on arrival.

THURSDAY, JUNE 29, 1989

We awoke to a broght, sunny day for a few hours of practice before demolishing the green guys. The staff found an abandoned mine field behind the stadium a few blocks away to practice on. After a long relaxing dinner we warmed up to blow the faces of our friends, the Streatorians. We succeeded in doing so and also opened up the gap between us and the world. After the the show we headed off to Indiana and had a good night's sleep.

STREATOR, IL

PHANTOM REGIMENT: 79.1

CAVALIERS: 77.0

MADISON SCOUTS: 76.9

SKY RYDERS: 71.5

TROOPERS: 60.0

GLASSMEN: 51.2

LIMITED EDITION: 45.4

KNIGHTS 42.1

NORTHERN AURORA: 40.0

GAURDSMEN: 28.7

Weather information for Streator, IL on 6.29.1989 can be found at http://www08.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=WEA...JUNE+29%2C+1989

Oops, sorry about that. Well here's the entry for the day:

FRIDAY, JUNE 30, 2989

After another wonderful wake up call, we were back on the field for more practice. We once again set up to beat the Cavies. Victory #9 and a trip back into Illinois..

Mishawaka, IN

PHANTOM REGIMENT: 82.1

CAVALIERS: 79.3

SKY RYDERS: 70.5

KNIGHTS: 43.1

BANDETTES: 42.4

GUARDSMEN: 30.6

Weather report for Mishawaka on 6/30/89 can be found here: http://www09.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Mis...jUNE+30%2C+1989

Oops, sorry about that. Well here's the entry for the day:

FRIDAY, JUNE 30, 2989

After another wonderful wake up call, we were back on the field for more practice. We once again set up to beat the Cavies. Victory #9 and a trip back into Illinois..

Mishawaka, IN

PHANTOM REGIMENT: 82.1

CAVALIERS: 79.3

SKY RYDERS: 70.5

KNIGHTS: 43.1

BANDETTES: 42.4

GUARDSMEN: 30.6

Weather report for Mishawaka on 6/30/89 can be found here: http://www09.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Mis...jUNE+30%2C+1989

Hello. See me in the stands there? This would be my last PR sighting until Kansas City. Oviously in the big picture, we all know what a great show that was. On micro level - I could have sat and watched Marty's last great snare line all day long.

Hello. See me in the stands there? This would be my last PR sighting until Kansas City. Oviously in the big picture, we all know what a great show that was. On micro level - I could have sat and watched Marty's last great snare line all day long.

Wow, it's great to have people remember regional shows like this ... :)

Here's another daily entry:

SATURDAY JULY 1, 1989

This was our Cadet's home show, put on by the Aurora Band Bosters. The staff once again found us a pair of abandoned mine fields to practice on. After a couple of hours on each, sectionals, M&M and ensemble, we let loose to the PR Booster Club Executive Board, who served us steak and beans as a "reward" and "punishment" for the hard worl we did on the car wash in early June. After dinner we warmed up and each of the three corps did a run thru for the other two. An Easy 8 point victory. After the show we had a few problems with the residents of Aurora. Trent and Andy were jumped by a few of the locals while out on the street. After all of the members were back in the building we had a chaotic lights out.

PHANTOM REGIMENT: 80.8

SKY RYDERS: 72.8

AMERICANOS: 47.1

BANDETTES: 44.1

PHANTOM REGIMENT CADETS: 41.3

EMERALD KNIGHTS: 38.3

GUARDSMEN: 33.6

MADISON JR. SCOUTS: 28.3

I had totally forgotten about those guys getting jumped. IIRC, Andy had a major shiner.

I think that was also where the cops came by and said they were expecting some major problems between the Latin Kings and another gang, and advised us to stay inside.

Yeah, I thought what happened to Trent and Andy was later on on the tour. Anyhow, here is a few more days to catch up.

SUNDAY JULY 2, 1989

After a short trip through the suburbs we arrived in Franklin Park to find only three practice fields for all the corps in the show. We snuck in a marching run through before the show. Not the greatest show, the backside line was a three story school that held in the sound and gave a strange echo. It was enough to put us two points above the Cavaqueers. Off to the Naval base and beds.

FRANKLIN PARK, IL

PHANTOM REGIMENT: 81.2

CAVALIERS: 78.9

BANDETTES: 48.9

MONDAY JULY 3, 1989

We awoke to find we wouldn't be the only ones marching on the base. The streets were filled with Navy recruits doing their morning march. After a morning of sectionals, we were brought back for M&M and ensemble. Hey, not even the government makes you work when its this hot! We were observed by recruits at various times of the day. Off to Racine for another show and return trip to GLNRB.

RACINE WISCONSIN

PHANTOM REGIMENT: 82.6

SKY RYDERS: 71.6

COLTS: 61.8

KNIGHTS: 47.2

GUARDSMEN: 36.1

NORTHMEN: 35.3

MONDAY JULY 3, 1989

We awoke to find we wouldn't be the only ones marching on the base. The streets were filled with Navy recruits doing their morning march. After a morning of sectionals, we were brought back for M&M and ensemble. Hey, not even the government makes you work when its this hot! We were observed by recruits at various times of the day. Off to Racine for another show and return trip to GLNRB.

RACINE WISCONSIN

PHANTOM REGIMENT: 82.6

SKY RYDERS: 71.6

COLTS: 61.8

KNIGHTS: 47.2

GUARDSMEN: 36.1

NORTHMEN: 35.3

That was the Great Lakes Naval Training Center. I remember a hundred things about that place:

- the Navy sentry that marched through our housing performing watch duties every two hours

- the instructions for taking a "navy shower" in the shower room

- sitting outside of the "division" where we slept, polishing my horn. A recruit came up to talk to me. Turned out he had marched Suncoast in '85 or '86. He had to take off when another recruit yelled "man, you gonna get us all in trouble talkin' to them!"

- watching the recruits across the street practice what was apparently their graduation marching routine. They were pretty good. Then the DI came hauling out of the building with a recruit in tow. He went off about how the leader could leave "this recruit" hiding in a closet during marching time

- the second day we were there was a black flag day, where the heat index was too hot for the recruits to be outside. But we had full marching rehearsal!

- another DI marching his recruits up to watch us finish a runthrough. When we were done, he called them to attention and ordered them to "Clap!". Which they did.

That was the Great Lakes Naval Training Center. I remember a hundred things about that place:

- the Navy sentry that marched through our housing performing watch duties every two hours

- the instructions for taking a "navy shower" in the shower room

- sitting outside of the "division" where we slept, polishing my horn. A recruit came up to talk to me. Turned out he had marched Suncoast in '85 or '86. He had to take off when another recruit yelled "man, you gonna get us all in trouble talkin' to them!"

- watching the recruits across the street practice what was apparently their graduation marching routine. They were pretty good. Then the DI came hauling out of the building with a recruit in tow. He went off about how the leader could leave "this recruit" hiding in a closet during marching time

- the second day we were there was a black flag day, where the heat index was too hot for the recruits to be outside. But we had full marching rehearsal!

- another DI marching his recruits up to watch us finish a runthrough. When we were done, he called them to attention and ordered them to "Clap!". Which they did.

Yeah, I remember that Navy shower stuff too. Something like: 1. Turn on Water. 2. Rinse off. 3. Turn off Water. 4. Lather up. 5. Turn on water, rinse... I also remember Jerry Mohlman ran with some of the recruits around the yard at the end of their group. No one said anything about it. I thought our color guard was of great interest to the recruits. There is one odd thing however...

If you look at the weather for Chicago, it wasn't that hot until the 9th, 10th and 11th of July. Sooo... I think something might be a little out of whack on the dates, because I remember it was hot, and hotter as it got on during our stay at GLNB. It was a weird environment, but it was nice to have an actual mattress. Finally, weren't we locked down at some point because there was a recruit who went nuts and hand to be apprehended by the MPs?

We had several practice days leading up to DCM prelims and finals. There is no diary entry until the 16th of July, but the scores for DCM were as follows:

DCM Prelims July 14, 1989 - DeKalb, IL

Phantom Regiment: 84.6

Star of Indiana: 83.3

Madison Scouts: 83.2

Cavaliers: 80.9

Blue Coats: 77.4

Sky Ryders: 69.9

Colts: 63.1

____

DCM Finals July 15, 1989

PHANTOM REGIMENT 85.4

STAR OF INDIANA: 84.0