'89 Phantom Regiment

Had many friends age out that year with Phantom. Marched with a smaller corps that had folded a few years prior and basically became another feeder for Phantom. I was told our corps had as many people end up aging out from Phantom that year as the P.R. Cadets had produced. That was my favorite show of all time, somewhat biased I guess.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well - we changed and added in alot of things during the year (including the famous "snake" drill) - it really ended up being a great show. I also remember beating you guys once that year - and that was the only time where we didn't have a retreat.

Later

Mike

Yeah, the Cavies did a great job with a difficult circumstance they were given with that piece - - and, if I remember this is when you used the the marching drum heads section - I thought it was quite effective.

SUNDAY, JUNE 18, 1989

Woke up and traveled to Youngstown, Ohio. The poractice field was a fine example of Louisiana swamp land without trees. Once again our M&M staff/repair crew came to the rescue with the ultimate cure - kitty litter. Flat show, but won by four points.

PHANTOM REGIMENT: 74.1

CAVALIERS: 70.3

BLUE COATS: 63.5

COLTS: 44.0

GLASSMEN: 38.6

LIMITED EDITION: 32.9

NORTHMEN: 25.8

GUARDSMEN: 21.1

FRIDAY, JUNE 16, 1989:

Woke up to a brisk day of practice, however, the warm showers made up for it. Out first show was a success, prevailing over the Star of Indiana and finally beating Blue Coats in an opening show. No breakdown yet, but we did have to pack a lunch for the hike to the practice field.

PHANTOM REGIMENT : 72.1

STAR OF INDIANA: 68.9

BLUE COATS: 63.7

COLTS: 46.1

GLASSMEN: 38.4

KNIGHTS: 37.8

NORTHMEN: 22.7

GUARDSMEN: 17.9

First - I can't believe that was 20 years ago.

Second - Phantom was great all year. Congratulations to all involved.

Third - Guardsmen scored a 17.9?!? That is the lowest score I can ever remember in a non-tic scoring system. Yikes.

First - I can't believe that was 20 years ago.

Second - Phantom was great all year. Congratulations to all involved.

Third - Guardsmen scored a 17.9?!? That is the lowest score I can ever remember in a non-tic scoring system. Yikes.

I think they marched 10 or 11 horns that summer.

I think they marched 10 or 11 horns that summer.

also I belive they had 1 snare and 1 tenor, although I remember that snare player had some wicked chops.

1989? Really? Hard to believe it wasn't before that.

Scott,

Since the OP marched 88 and 89 for Phantom I think he was refferring to his own personal experience. 1987 was the 1st time we ever beat Phantom and that was at the 1st show, and then we did it again the next year so I guess in 1989 when we didn't beat them at the first show they kinda saw that as a good thing.

SUNDAY, JUNE 18, 1989

Woke up and traveled to Youngstown, Ohio. The poractice field was a fine example of Louisiana swamp land without trees. Once again our M&M staff/repair crew came to the rescue with the ultimate cure - kitty litter. Flat show, but won by four points.

PHANTOM REGIMENT: 74.1

CAVALIERS: 70.3

BLUE COATS: 63.5

COLTS: 44.0

GLASSMEN: 38.6

LIMITED EDITION: 32.9

NORTHMEN: 25.8

GUARDSMEN: 21.1

Hey! I had to jump on and borrow my buddy's user name. 1989 was my rookie year in PR and from the Louisiana reference, I can assume this diary was done by one of the many cajuns in the corps that year. I don't know who as most were in the drum line and I played sop, but maybe one of those guys could come around here and fill us in. Guys like Troy Breaux Dean Ponsetti, etc.

1st show was in Goshen and I was so nervous I almost threw up! Man, how times have changed since then!

Chip

Hey Chip! I was in the same soprano line as you, and I even know you are a former ECU Pirate! Yarrrrg.

I guess I didn't explain this very well, but the yearbook diary was written by someone else, I think a guard member. Perhaps that person could be identified, but I'm not the original writer. So, the opinions are not necessarily mine (but probably are!). Occasionally I will make my own observations from things I remember. For example, when we were tracking with the Colts on this part of first tour we wound up next to them a few times in the retreat block. They brought their pit out with cymbals and for several nights in a row there was one girl who locked her knees and - SPLAT! face first down in the grass. I felt bad for her.

Oh yeah, one other thing that's worth pointing out about the season in general - - I don't think most of the members knew how good we were that year, until August.

Hey Chip! I was in the same soprano line as you, and I even know you are a former ECU Pirate! Yarrrrg.

I guess I didn't explain this very well, but the yearbook diary was written by someone else, I think a guard member. Perhaps that person could be identified, but I'm not the original writer. So, the opinions are not necessarily mine (but probably are!). Occasionally I will make my own observations from things I remember. For example, when we were tracking with the Colts on this part of first tour we wound up next to them a few times in the retreat block. They brought their pit out with cymbals and for several nights in a row there was one girl who locked her knees and - SPLAT! face first down in the grass. I felt bad for her.

Oh yeah, one other thing that's worth pointing out about the season in general - - I don't think most of the members knew how good we were that year, until August.

You know, my take was that a lot of us knew we were good from the beginning. But almost no one cared about that - we were just going to work hard and grab hold of the opportunity. I've always viewed that as a testament to the incredible vets in the corps (kids with 4, 7, 10 or even 14 years of drum corps experience) and to the really driven caption heads and design team.