'89 Phantom Regiment

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SATURDAY, JULY 22, 1989

Our day began with an early morning parade in Rockton. Small town parades are always interesting, especially when the corps doesn't fit on the skinny roads. Ariving in Madison, we realized there was a nostagic feeling for many veterans who performed at Camp Randall for DCI. The corps performance did not reach the calibur of finals, however. The Regiment won the show anyway, winning awards for various captions.

MADISON WISCONSIN

PHANTOM REGIMENT: 88.5

MADISON SCOUTS: 86.6

STAR OF INDIANA: 86.0

COLTS: 68.2

BLUE STARS: 55.3

PHANTOM REGIMENT CADETS: 46.0

MADISON JR. SCOUTS: 35.3

Yeah, the Cavies did a great job with a difficult circumstance they were given with that piece - - and, if I remember this is when you used the the marching drum heads section - I thought it was quite effective.

That was one of the two years we did that.

The other year was '90. I loved, LOVED '89. Actually, I loved Phantom in '89, but didn't in '90. :tongue:

Ok, need to get caught up here :) Some of the next few days were very memorable to me.

SUNDAY, JULY 23, 1989

Arrived in Dubuque at the worst housing and showers to this date. We had alternative showers that were not any better than our own. Despite all of these distractions, the corps had an intense day of rehearsal; however, that nice day came to an end. The Colts home show was canceled because of a severe thunderstorm and the buses trucks had to be towed out of the mud. What a way to pend the last night before final tour (I think we called it 4th tour).

Note: There was a thread on this canceled show a while back.

MONDAY, JULY 24, 1989

After getting home to Rockford at 1:00 a.m., our day of departure was a hectic one. We departed for final tour after a full corps rehearsal - minus a few strays.

TUESDAY, JULY 25, 1989

This was a big day for the Phantom Regiment. We had an extremely intense rehearsal knowing that tonight would be our toughest contest. Even though we were confident and not afraid of our competition, we put on a timid performance. In spite of this, the Regiment was victorious over the Blue Devils on the first meeting.

PHANTOM REGIMENT: 89.3

BLUE DEVILS: 88.9

MADISON SCOUTS: 86.4

SKY RYDERS: 77.6

FLORIDA WAVE: 70.8

BLUE KNIGHTS: 66.5

SPARTANS: 4.1

(Note: Um, I think that score for the Spartans in the yearbook is wrong - - lol! I can still remember how intense the emotions were in the retreat block when the scores were announced. Beating BD was a big deal for us. I think it meant we might be able to contest for the championship after all. Until this point, I don't think we really believed that; earlier, there were some that thought that Madison would come up and crush us...).

WEDNESDAY, JULY 26, 1989

The staff gave us an extra hour of sleep since we had practiced so diligently the day before. We first did a standstill performance and the drumline took a tour of downtown Minneapolis. After the performance we enjoyed free pizza for lunch. That night the corps was more confident and it showed in our performance. However, we barely squeaked by the Blue Devils by a tenth of a point. Our steak survived its first heavy test. The hospitality we experienced in Stillwater was overwhelming.

MINNEAPOLIS, MN

PHANTOM REGIMENT: 89.6

BLUE DEVILS: 89.5

MADISON SCOUTS: 87.0

VK: 80.0

SKY RYDERS: 78.5

COLTS: 62.2

SPARTANS: 45.0

THURSDAY, JULY 27, 1989

After a long drive through the night we slept until 1:30 PM. There was a corps meeting held before rehearsal. At this meeting we were allowed to express our personal opinions and suggest solutions to one another's problems. The unity of the corps was demonstrated on this day and everyone felt it. Practice was cut short after discovering that our performance time was moved up. Despite a rushed warm up the corps finally performed a totally confident show with all three elements clicking at the same time. The first 90 of the season. This was a championship performance!

MENASHA WISCONSIN

PHANTOM REGIMENT: 90.4

SKY RYDERS: 79.5

VELVET KNIGHTS: 79.2

Sorry for the delay folks - getting back on track.

FRIDAY JULY 28, 1989

Again we had a long ride - this time around Lake Michigan. After a few hours on the floor (in the hallway) we began a day of rehearsal that was more enthusiastic than ever before. The feeling of a championship corps was finally present. The overall show was a good one that night, but it was not good enough to beat the Santa Clara Vanguard. Our 20 win streak came to an end. The corps took the loss well and maintained a positive attitude.

YPSILANTI MI

SCV: 90.1

PHANTOM REGIMENT: 88.6

MADISON SCOUTS: 87.6

FREELANCERS: 75.1

SKY RYDERS: 72.7

KNIGHTS: 49.4

DIVISION II

NORTHERN AURORA: 52.3

BANDETTES: 46.1

EXPRESSIONS: 32.2

MY COMMENTS ... I never saw the 1989 SCV show directly, I just heard parts of it from a distance. Obviously my comparisons between SCV and Regiment would be self-serving and biased, so I've never offered them.

I remember the nervous vibe around the corps that day. And the green and red pancakes.

Sorry for the delay folks - getting back on track.

FRIDAY JULY 28, 1989

Again we had a long ride - this time around Lake Michigan. After a few hours on the floor (in the hallway) we began a day of rehearsal that was more enthusiastic than ever before. The feeling of a championship corps was finally present. The overall show was a good one that night, but it was not good enough to beat the Santa Clara Vanguard. Our 20 win streak came to an end. The corps took the loss well and maintained a positive attitude.

YPSILANTI MI

SCV: 90.1

PHANTOM REGIMENT: 88.6

MADISON SCOUTS: 87.6

FREELANCERS: 75.1

SKY RYDERS: 72.7

KNIGHTS: 49.4

DIVISION II

NORTHERN AURORA: 52.3

BANDETTES: 46.1

EXPRESSIONS: 32.2

MY COMMENTS ... I never saw the 1989 SCV show directly, I just heard parts of it from a distance. Obviously my comparisons between SCV and Regiment would be self-serving and biased, so I've never offered them.

Is that Knights score right?

I know they never scored well in 89 but that seems a little low still.

Is that Knights score right?

I know they never scored well in 89 but that seems a little low still.

We thought so, too. But it's correct. :thumbup:

http://tinyurl.com/mmg845

I remember the nervous vibe around the corps that day. And the green and red pancakes.

I don't remember the pancakes... lol, someone had a sense of humor.

Saturday, July 29, 1989

Another long trip across the Canadian border and Carl Smith (British lad) forgot his passport. the poor guy had to spend that night in an air conditioned hotel room with a king-sized bed. The Sky Ryders didn't compete in prelims because they had a breakdown on the road and missed the show. They were allowed to do an exhibition at finals. That day we had a prelim score of 89.1 and an even better finals score. The corps wasn't upset with second place because we had a good show and knew there was much to be cleaned.

HAMILTON, ONT, CANADA:

PRELIMS

SCV: 90.9

PHANTOM REGIMENT: 89.1

MADISON: 87.1

VK: 81.0

FREELANCERS: 80.6

SPIRIT OF ATLANTA: 75.8

CROSSMEN: 74.9

DUTCHBOY: 74.7

l'iNSOLITE: 62.7

VENTURES: 59.4