Progressive rule changes you would LIKE to see?

Except fans want to hear scores.

The corps themselves aren't too worried about the early scores in my experience. As long as you are in the ballpark of where you want to be in terms of which corps you are around a spread of even 5 points or so isn't a big deal

and with no scores DCP goes crazy

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The corps themselves aren't too worried about the early scores in my experience. As long as you are in the ballpark of where you want to be in terms of which corps you are around a spread of even 5 points or so isn't a big deal

I agree with this. If (hypothetical example) this weekend Vanguard finishes their show with the last 2 minutes done at standstill, and beats Academy who performs a complete show, it will give all of us a lot to argue/discuss for a few weeks (Academy should have won etc.) but by mid/late July and into August who (other than a few bitter Academy honks) will remember/care?

Not bashing Academy or their fans, this is a hypothetical example, I have no idea if Academy has their show complete or not :sad:

Jet-Packs

Clearly this will be the next rule proposal....I mean who doesn't want 3 Dimensional drill? Or maybe even the robots that play instruments. lets just take all the human aspect out of the drum corps activity and make it so every night everyone scores 100!!

Fans?? Who cares what the fans want??? We're talking Progressive Rule Changes here !!!!! :sad:

What if the judges only ranked at early shows, but didn't score. So the fans still have their "winner" of the show, but we're spared the daily score movement and west coast inflation and all that other nonsense that, as you say, the corps are not worried about but only serve to promote conspiracy theories and general DCP angst.

Edited by Liam

IMO, you take the scores away, you lose fans

so then it could work like other recent changes :sad:

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

The DCI rulebook isn't readily available to the public, so no.

I have no idea if this is officially in a book somewhere, but it was common knowledge at least as far back as 2004. Corps directors are well aware of when timing penalties start each year. It isn't just some mystery that comes out of nowhere.

I'm not convinced that there is any such "common knowledge".

If there was a rule, or a policy, uniformly applied across all of DCI concerning early-season timing penalties and defined in writing, I'd believe it. But I don't think there is one. What I have witnessed is that the policy has varied from region to region, and from contest coordinator to contest coordinator. And the only dissemination of that policy I have witnessed is via word of mouth, at shows. Anyone with better knowledge is welcome to chime in.

I would like to see a set of definitive criteria used to score certain sections of the show. Cracks, missed notes, dirty entrances/releases, etc. shouldn't be reflected in a score as an opinion, but should a defined component of a final score without interpretation concerns.

Judge what is on the field, not what the corps should be doing. Homogenization is a problem. Corps shouldn't be penalized because they don't stick to the ideal corps show formula. This was a greater problem when the Cavies were at the top of their game around 2002 to 2004.

An entertainment factor should be a separate score, maybe a component of GE. While the merits of the guard movement to interpret the music can be discussed to no end, sometimes you have to give pure entertainment credit to Crown's horse race, Madison playing some awesome horn licks, Cadets throwing down phenomenal beats, Phantom running and playing at the same time a couple years ago, etc. Entertainment directly affects DCI's revenue, as well as all corps hosting shows.

I personally believe DCI should go back to a completely acoustical arrangement. The reliance on a sound engineer significantly affects the sound of a show. Too many points are reliant on one person's capabilities (at least it should be scored that way right now). I specifically remember an SCV show where the pit was simply too loud and overbearing relative to the rest of the corps, and that's just one example. Also, a corps ability to buy (or have gifted for marketing purposes) a better electronic set-up (board, mics, speakers, etc.) gives them an unfair technology advantage. While it's one thing to be able to attract better players throughout the corps, you shouldn't be able to flat out buy a better sound.

entertainment factors will never work. no ones entertainment value is the same as anyone elses.

I would like to see a set of definitive criteria used to score certain sections of the show. Cracks, missed notes, dirty entrances/releases, etc. shouldn't be reflected in a score as an opinion, but should a defined component of a final score without interpretation concerns.

Judge what is on the field, not what the corps should be doing.

I seem to remember this working once upon a time. :sad: