Progressive rule changes you would LIKE to see?

There's no provision in judging criteria that dictates what a complete, finished show is, either.

True. What is judged is the performance in it's totality. The Corps have a minimum time they must perform and a maximum time. The Corps is judged on the entire performance within that time frame that is required. If the visual is outstanding for 80% of the show because it was written and practiced, but the last 20% of the show was subpar because the visual was not written and practiced and thus the Corps last 20 % was sub par at best, the judges don't just judge the first 80 %.... they judge the full 100% of the performance, Or under the guidelines, they are SUPPOSED to anyway. In essence, the judges are instructed to compare and contrast the 100% full performances of all the competing Corps on that night. And in the performing arts, any entertainer will tell you that the finish is the most critical segment of any performance.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh! DUNK tanks. Never mind.

I thought we would need to up the ticket prices to post bail.

Rule changes I would like to see..........

(1) a draw for random appearance order throughout the season........especially at championships........

(a) this would assure a more "even" audience for all corps

(b) this would keep the judge on their toes and would most likely result in less "slotting"

(2) Going into finals, only the 13th - 17th place scores are announced...........plus you have random order......

Going into semis, only 18th to the bottom scores are announced

(3) Sequester finals judges......they are not in town until the morning of finals, and they do not know

"who came in where", plus the appearance order is random........

(4) allow soloists (only) to play any instrument, and it can also be miked, and reverb and delay can be added....

(5) require any world class corps to make a decision on a new member who is there from the beginning no later

than 1/30, which will allow that member to comfortably pursue other corps if they are cut.

Any prospect that comes at another time must be decided on at the end of a 3rd camp, or 6 days of rehearsal.

Begin corps exits at retreat at finals 5 minutes after announcing the scores, and all corps are to pass in review and play to the champion on the move.

Announce semifinalists and finalist corps immediately after the scores are tabulated (corps names only....no scores), and have the ageout ceremony and awards afterwards, so those not interested in staying for these presentations can leave.

GB

Yeah, I snipped...and then you said this.

Announce semifinalists and finalist corps immediately after the scores are tabulated (corps names only....no scores), and have the ageout ceremony and awards afterwards, so those not interested in staying for these presentations can leave.

GB

Yes, just list the corps in alpha order. No placements either. Just alpha until finals night. Sort of like...this corps goes through to the next round. That's it.

I kind of like it from both the fans and the judges side of things. We are almost getting to the dreaded critiques and no scores that I have frequently advocated.

No scores until regionals perhaps?

Not a rules change per se, but throwing a bone to the fans:

At all shows with 6 or fewer corps, each corps arcs up and performs an "instant encore" of ~5 minutes. This wouldn't take the place of the regularly scheduled post-score-announcement encore.

(1) a draw for random appearance order throughout the season........especially at championships........

(b) this would keep the judge on their toes and would most likely result in less "slotting"

(2) Going into finals, only the 13th - 17th place scores are announced...........plus you have random order......

(3) Sequester finals judges......they are not in town until the morning of finals, and they do not know

"who came in where", plus the appearance order is random........

(4) allow soloists (only) to play any instrument, and it can also be miked, and reverb and delay can be added....

(5) require any world class corps to make a decision on a new member who is there from the beginning no later

than 1/30, which will allow that member to comfortably pursue other corps if they are cut.

Any prospect that comes at another time must be decided on at the end of a 3rd camp, or 6 days of rehearsal.

Begin corps exits at retreat at finals 5 minutes after announcing the scores, and all corps are to pass in review and play to the champion on the move.

GB

Good stuff here..... me like!

Entire Post.

GB

Very nice. I like all of these.

(snip)

Sounds a lot like BOA.

Sounds a lot like BOA.

But it doesn't lead to the corps themselves sounding a lot like BOA.

We always hear about how the new changes and whatnot are bad, but what do some of you guys want to see in terms of rule changes?

For me, I'd love to see woodwinds and strings in the pit. I know that's a controversial idea, but that's what I think. I just don't think that it would kill drum corps if the Blue Devils had a sax player or if Phantom had a small string quintet. Could you imagine The Red Violin WITH VIOLINS? I guess I'm a little biased though, because I'd love to be able to go to a drum corps with my best instrument.

What about you guys? Anything you would want to see?

Woodwind and strings in the pit?

You need to stay away from Drum corps and follow the BOA circuit and stick with your high school band.Stick with what you enjoy and quit trying to ruin what drum corps vets hold near and dear.