DCE Corps to compete at DCA 2010

Awesome.

This is pretty cool. DCA has been in the past, but is now even more International.

I have a question and I am sure I am not the only one to think of this. It appears that they intend to come over here in 2010 as a one time tour of the DCA shows and championships and they do not plan to return in 2011 or even possibly later.

Lets assume they are an outstanding corps since they have previously been crowned the DCUK champions. Now, in 2010, they qualify for finals making them one of the top 10 and earning a voting member position. Since they are not a regular competing DCA corps and are not returning for the 2011 season, would they still be given a voting position or would that go to the 11th highest scoring "regular" DCA corps?

This is pretty cool. DCA has been in the past, but is now even more International.

I have a question and I am sure I am not the only one to think of this. It appears that they intend to come over here in 2010 as a one time tour of the DCA shows and championships and they do not plan to return in 2011 or even possibly later.

Lets assume they are an outstanding corps since they have previously been crowned the DCUK champions. Now, in 2010, they qualify for finals making them one of the top 10 and earning a voting member position. Since they are not a regular competing DCA corps and are not returning for the 2011 season, would they still be given a voting position or would that go to the 11th highest scoring "regular" DCA corps?

My guess is they'd simply relinquish their voting position, and it would go to the next North American corps down the ranking. I think that's what happened with Inspires? Or was it Southern Knights?

Anywho's - This is way freakin' cool !

Sam - I expect this is a one time trip for all the reasons that sank Dangenham... I would be pleased if they came every few years as they can properly afford it.

As for Voting membership... we had the forethought to think of this... the voting membership is not open to corps outside of North America... They compete, they can win awards they can even be crowned champion - but no voting membership.

Besides no one has mentioned this... we all know the British corps are very good but small... they invented Class A quality before DCA discovered it... I have no idea how big they'll be but in the back of my mind I"m thinking Class A???? THAT could be interesting...

lot's of fun to speculate and we have a year to wonder...

Thrilled to have them coming and only wish Inspires (or another Japanese corps) could come back...

It is so exciting to see unexpected quality... I was the first DCA official to see Inspires that first year in rehearsal after they arrived... After about 3 minutes... I grabbed the cell phone and called Mickey Petrone and said something like "Boss, we have a situation here - you have to come see this" as I told him the only question was HOW HIGH they would finish in finals...

Sam - I expect this is a one time trip for all the reasons that sank Dangenham... I would be pleased if they came every few years as they can properly afford it.

Agreed....on both counts.

I would LOVE to see Inspires in teh States again....but the cost was very high when they last came over...now? No thanks....rather not bankrupt them.

It is so exciting to see unexpected quality... I was the first DCA official to see Inspires that first year in rehearsal after they arrived... After about 3 minutes... I grabbed the cell phone and called Mickey Petrone and said something like "Boss, we have a situation here - you have to come see this" as I told him the only question was HOW HIGH they would finish in finals...

LOL....Tom, I remember you coming up to us the Friday afternoon before championships that year (2002), as the Inspires set up for their concert in front of Scranton City Hall (they were being welcomed with a "key to the city" ceremony), and telling us "wait until you hear these guys!!!!"

You were soooo right.... a couple of minutes into their performance, my jaw was unhinged. LOL

Fran

Man....I wish Dagenham was still around....I'd be making arrangements to perform with them.

Sadly, the 1988 trip to the US -- plus the additional expense of new uniforms -- killed them.

They have reformed this year :thumbup::worthy::worthy::tongue: This is one of the corps's that got me hooked on drum corps in my earlier years.

Roger Treacher