Musical Cop-Out

Whoa, not what I meant at all. I was pointing to the fact the the electronic instrument proposal hardly changed a word from the first time until the final submission. Repeatedly proposed, finally passed.

Nothing implied about the character of the voting members. I have said repeatedly that I am sure that each one of them voted for what they honestly believe to be best.

Well...you said this...

Most of the proposals that get presented repeatedly until the oposition gives up...

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well...you said this...

Yeah, poor word choice on my part. I didn't mean for it to have that tone.

How about the question?

Will "corps" continue to be "better" [that the band world] when it is no longer different?

Yeah, poor word choice on my part. I didn't mean for it to have that tone.

How about the question?

Sure...DCI will continue to be better. The single focus summer activity...the audition process...the rehearsal times...the higher average age...will keep drum corps performance levels ahead of the band world...though there are a few of the 10's of thousands of bands that would give some World corps a run for their money.

Sure...DCI will continue to be better. The single focus summer activity...the audition process...the rehearsal times...the higher average age...will keep drum corps performance levels ahead of the band world...though there are a few of the 10's of thousands of bands that would give some World corps a run for their money.

This may be true on the top end, say the level of our current finalist corps. Will this apply to the remaining corps that don't fit that "top x" group of elite corps? Keeping in mind that as you add families of instruments and more equipment, the need arises to add instructional staff, road crew and maintenaince, increase need for rolling stock and fuel costs to tour these added items and personnell, Do you see these corps as also being "better" than the current band world? If not, what do you see as being the future of those groups under the "anything goes" rule scheme?

There can and will be a lot more diversity in drum corps shows and instrumentation when there are fewer limits...why? Because of the examples in the band world.

You just supported my argument. It will all be band. No unique drum corps sound. Bland monotone and boring. Band 12 months of the year. This to you is diversity?????

Which gets to the heart of this...some hate the idea that drum corps would be permitted as much variety as the MB world has today...they don't want diversity in DCI...they want the opposite. They want DCI to be somehow placed in amber...frozen in time...unfortunately, it hasn't and hopefully won't succumb to that. and..those that don't like modern DCI can't really agree on just what that amber-locked DCI should look like...some...not many, just a few...even want pits to be eliminated and marching timpani and mallets dragged back out.

Again - a blatant and purposeful mischaracterization of what we're saying. Nobody's saying freeze it in time, any more than we were saying go back to the '50s when you were trying to sell that story. DCI could continue to grow without the toys. I don't believe for a minute that the well was dry for accoustic drum corps. I have far more faith in the idiom than that.

:sad: you keep using bands as your example of what drum corps creativity is or should be, why?

because he's a band director?

Because drum corps are bands.

Mike - hopefully the last time for asking this - can't you tell the difference between Blue Devils and the USC Marching Trojans?

Being able to use WW...strings...any instruments...will create a DCI with a wider variety of show designs...and will permit corps to present whatever ideas they wish to present musically...which IMO is 'better'...though of course as in any season some shows will work and some will not.

This makes no sense. Drum corps has had absolutely no problem adapting pretty much any musical style to accoustic brass and percussion.

This may be true on the top end, say the level of our current finalist corps. Will this apply to the remaining corps that don't fit that "top x" group of elite corps? Keeping in mind that as you add families of instruments and more equipment, the need arises to add instructional staff, road crew and maintenaince, increase need for rolling stock and fuel costs to tour these added items and personnell, Do you see these corps as also being "better" than the current band world? If not, what do you see as being the future of those groups under the "anything goes" rule scheme?

Well...there are lots of bands that do not compete...or much...or well...plus all of the college bands. I think that the 'lower' corps will still have a place, be they the Open class or lower placing World class...as the 'marching junkies' of various scholastic programs will still want to compete and march...even if not at the top world level.