Musical Cop-Out

See, I don't get that attitude. I feel like some people on here think we should like every show every year because the kids work hard... look, I'm not saying the kids work hard... I never aim any comments at them... however we don't have to like every show. Sometimes I feel like some people are so afraid of criticizing the activity for whatever reason (should we remove judges? 'cause that's basically their job...), maybe you don't want to make the kids feel bad or whatever... but the idea we should just appreciate every show is ludicrous... let me rephrase, I can appreciate every show and the work it took to put it on the field... but to expect me to like every show is just plain wrong... I want to be entertained so if the show doesn't entertain me then, well, it doesn't.

Huh? Nowhere in my post that you quoted did I say that everyone has to like the show. Of course everyone doesn't have to like the show.

All I said is that I feel like most of those being critical of it hadn't even heard it live yet. If you haven't heard it and are already criticizing it, that's what I have a problem with.

You're more than welcome to like what you want and don't like what you want, and if you don't like it AFTER hearing it live, then feel free to criticize it - to a point. Once you've made your dislike of the show heard, then it's time to move on.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please refrain from attacking other members, folks. I know it's a passionate subject, but we don't need to insult other corps or members of the Community in the process.

We're all bigger than this, so let's act like it, m'kay? :sad:

I agree, this thread's been close-to-overheating, and many of us including me can do a little better in keeping things cool. I know one common reason for the passion on both sides is that most if not all of us want all the corps and DCI to thrive, and we just disagree about the means. But we need to find friendlier ways to handle the disagreement and keep our common goal in mind.

Edited by Peel Paint

Huh? Nowhere in my post that you quoted did I say that everyone has to like the show. Of course everyone doesn't have to like the show.

All I said is that I feel like most of those being critical of it hadn't even heard it live yet. If you haven't heard it and are already criticizing it, that's what I have a problem with.

You're more than welcome to like what you want and don't like what you want, and if you don't like it AFTER hearing it live, then feel free to criticize it - to a point. Once you've made your dislike of the show heard, then it's time to move on.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was blasting you... I'm just starting to get frustrated with a lot of posters on here acting like if you even THINK about criticizing a corps or show that you're going to Hell... I just hope people realize that these aren't 8 and 9 year old little league kids... these are young adults...

Electronics

There was a clarification made regarding the use of electronics, a rule passed in 2008 for implementation in 2009. The following is the entire new section in the rule book:.

4.8 Use of Electronic Equipment

4.8.1 Terminology:

• "Music" (or "Musical") shall be defined as the organization of melodic, harmonic and/or rhythmic sound through time.

• An "Electronic Instrument shall be defined as any pieces of electronic equipment that produces "Musical" sound.

• A "Sequence" or "Loop" shall be defined as "Music" that is pre-recorded or programmed during a performance.

• "Human Voice" shall be defined as spoken word.

4.8.2 Music from Electronic Instruments is allowed given that the Music is being performed live, in real time during the performance.

4.8.3 Sequenced Music will not be allowed.

4.8.4 Musical Loops will not be allowed.

4.8.5 Pre-recorded Sound Effects and Human Voice can be used without penalty.

Permission must be obtained for all copyrighted material.

Monterastelli explains, "The Judges Advisory Committee and the instructors decided clarification of the electronics rules was necessary. We are allowing for electronic musical instruments and pre-recorded sounds. We are allowing for pre-recorded voice as well, but not for singing. For example, a corps could use the Martin Luther King Jr. 'I Have a Dream' speech, or bird sounds, or the sounds of a waterfall.

"However, a corps can't have someone on a recording sing by just hitting a key. One single keystroke can only result in a single event. A single keystroke can't result in multiple musical tones."

"For further clarification, corps staff members have been instructed to send their questions to judge administrator John Phillips between now and the beginning of the season," said Monterastelli. "He will publish the answers for everybody after discussing with the Judges Advisory Committee if necessary."

I think it's clear that an electric bass guitar played by an eligible member of a DCI corps is legal under this rule.

I totally understand the argument and respect everyones opinions. The 4 of us that were at the Rockford show really dug Spirits use of electronics. The sounds to me, enhanced the show, especially in the beginning. Not saying the use of electronics is ok, but we just happend to think it worked for Spirit.

I hope we all agree on one thing, whether you support electronics or not... Sequenced music, music loops, or any other fashion in which music isn't played in real-time but is simply sampled should NEVER be allowed...

I've read those rules before, but I had thought previously about keyboards for some reason. As I read them through again, it is actually really wide open. This is not encouraging. I sure hope they repeal this, although I'm not hopeful.

I totally understand the argument and respect everyones opinions. The 4 of us that were at the Rockford show really dug Spirits use of electronics. The sounds to me, enhanced the show, especially in the beginning. Not saying the use of electronics is ok, but we just happend to think it worked for Spirit.

That's cool, and I'm glad to hear it.

I hope we all agree on one thing, whether you support electronics or not... Sequenced music, music loops, or any other fashion in which music isn't played in real-time but is simply sampled should NEVER be allowed...

Yeah, I don't think that even George Hopkins wants sampled music to be legal. It has no or at the most very little support among DCI directors. It wouldn't pass a Rules Congress.