Musical Cop-Out

Words can be...and often are...part of the music.

Ever hear orchestral arrangements of opera without the words?

Drum corps was never about being the same as the original.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever hear orchestral arrangements of opera without the words?

Drum corps was never about being the same as the original.

OK...and even if the things I mention are allowed...it still wouldn't be.

Nope. Not what I am saying at all. They can play them as a brass choir version of a string or WW choir, but they can't be a string or WW choir. So...if that is what the designer wants to present...they should be able to present anything they wish...using any instruments they wish. If they want a brass version of a string section...fine...but if they want a string version..that should be fine too.

So a brass only drum corps can still play the same variety of shows then, just not in the same voice, correct? Nothing stopping SCV from playing Appalacian Spring without the violins or Phantom playing Tocatta and Fugue without the organ, right?

So this argument:

Being able to use WW...strings...any instruments...will create a DCI with a wider variety of show designs...and will permit corps to present whatever ideas they wish to present musically...which IMO is 'better'...though of course as in any season some shows will work and some will not.

really is entirely bogus.

So a brass only drum corps can still play the same variety of shows then, just not in the same voice, correct? Nothing stopping SCV from playing Appalacian Spring without the violins or Phantom playing Tocatta and Fugue without the organ, right?

So this argument:

really is entirely bogus.

Wrong. Not bogus at all...again, for the nth time..I said this...

will permit corps to present whatever ideas they wish to present musically

If they wish to present music all brass..they can...if they wish to present music with a WW sound...IMO they should be able to.

OK...and even if the things I mention are allowed...it still wouldn't be.

Sure it would be. Why would you insist on WW if you didn't want to sound more like the original orchestra arrangement? We don't want to transpose this WW piece for brass, we want to use the original WW score - push the easy button.

Beside being unnecessary they will eliminate the brass-only sound that was ONLY available during summer at DCI for junior age corps, exactly the way electronics are. Losing an entire genre is too high a price to pay.

Edited by kusankusho

Wrong. Not bogus at all...again, for the nth time..I said this...

If they wish to present music all brass..they can...if they wish to present music with a WW sound...IMO they should be able to.

That's only half of what you said. Here - I'll quote it for the third time....

Being able to use WW...strings...any instruments...will create a DCI with a wider variety of show designs...and will permit corps to present whatever ideas they wish to present musically...which IMO is 'better'...though of course as in any season some shows will work and some will not.

They can still present the ideas they want to present - it will just be in a brass voice. They will can still access the same variety of show designs, but just in a different voice. A unique voice that is chipped away little by little with each rule change.

We're arguing over the difference in voice which I have been saying since day one is the paramount difference between drum corps and band. It seems you agree with me after all.....

Nope. Not what I am saying at all. They can play them as a brass choir version of a string or WW choir, but they can't be a string or WW choir. So...if that is what the designer wants to present...they should be able to present anything they wish...using any instruments they wish. If they want a brass version of a string section...fine...but if they want a string version..that should be fine too.

The designers. The designers. Every time you've made this argument it's always about the designers...what the designers want to do. Never have you put this argument in terms of the audience or the fans. Which goes back to the points I've made. It's not about the audience, it's about the designers and their egotistical view of what THEY think the activity should be.

In any other business if you continue to try to force-feed the public a product they don't want, you go OUT of business. DCI had no problems with attendance until about 25 years ago. Even after, it was still better than recent years. Wonder why? Hmmmmmm...

That's only half of what you said. Here - I'll quote it for the third time....

They can still present the ideas they want to present - it will just be in a brass voice. They will can still access the same variety of show designs, but just in a different voice. A unique voice that is chipped away little by little with each rule change.

Then it's not what they want to present if you force them down one road..in my scenario. That IS the point...if they wish to present something all brass...fine...if they wish to use WW or strings...they should be able to.

The designers. The designers. Every time you've made this argument it's always about the designers...what the designers want to do. Never have you put this argument in terms of the audience or the fans. Which goes back to the points I've made. It's not about the audience, it's about the designers and their egotistical view of what THEY think the activity should be.

In any other business if you continue to try to force-feed the public a product they don't want, you go OUT of business. DCI had no problems with attendance until about 25 years ago. Even after, it was still better than recent years. Wonder why? Hmmmmmm...

Yes, it is about how those who are charged with guiding the direction wish it to go. It has always been that way.

Sure it would be. Why would you insist on WW if you didn't want to sound more like the original orchestra arrangement? We don't want to transpose this WW piece for brass, we want to use the original WW score - push the easy button.

Beside being unnecessary they will eliminate the brass-only sound that was ONLY available during summer at DCI for junior age corps, exactly the way electronics are. Losing an entire genre is too high a price to pay.

It's not losing a genre. It's all the same genre...only one area is missing some of the instruments that should be available.

and it's hardly 'pushing the 'easy button'.