Musical Cop-Out

I had criticized the performance last night in Rockford by Spirit on another thread. I did not like the bass player and amplified string bass thingy he played. Spirit had seven tubas but it sounded like they had 20. People rebutted my response by saying it was a rock themed show (chosen by Spirit) and that a bass was appropriate. "Don't blame Spirit" is what I was told. So...I thought I'd start a new thread . . . just for fun. :rolleyes:

I do not think that these new additions to Drum Corps are good. That's another discussion that could probably chew up at least 30 pages on here (and already has).

My main point (while trying to type on my little iPhone with my gnarly, crooked fingers last night) was that with Spirit it seemed like a big "musical cop-out." Perhaps they had the bass too loud on the amplification, but not only did the bass play specific parts, but it also played the same part at times (to my untrained ear) as the Tubas. One would have thought they had 20 tubas out there with as bottom heavy as it was. Nice effect? maybe. BUT, let's just say that I think that effect should be achieved with guys and girls rupturing a lung on their tuba versus a single guy pluckin' some strings.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had criticized the performance last night in Rockford by Spirit on another thread. I did not like the bass player and amplified string bass thingy he played. Spirit had seven tubas but it sounded like they had 20. People rebutted my response by saying it was a rock themed show (chosen by Spirit) and that a bass was appropriate. "Don't blame Spirit" is what I was told. So...I thought I'd start a new thread . . . just for fun. :rolleyes:

I do not think that these new additions to Drum Corps are good. That's another discussion that could probably chew up at least 30 pages on here (and already has).

My main point (while trying to type on my little iPhone with my gnarly, crooked fingers last night) was that with Spirit it seemed like a big "musical cop-out." Perhaps they had the bass too loud on the amplification, but not only did the bass play specific parts, but it also played the same part at times (to my untrained ear) as the Tubas. One would have thought they had 20 tubas out there with as bottom heavy as it was. Nice effect? maybe. BUT, let's just say that I think that effect should be achieved with guys and girls rupturing a lung on their tuba versus a single guy pluckin' some strings.

I don't like the new editions either, but it is the world we live in now and I will support the kids out there no matter what they are playing.

I would in no way call it a "musical cop-out" that seems a little disrespectful. The kids out there are producing a musical book and show and working their ##### of just as much as everyone else, whether it is a bass player or tuba. I would imagine the bass player, as you said standing there "pluckin' some strings", is working his tail off just as mush as the rest of the corps. The thing that came to mind with what you said is "Work smarter, not harder". We do this in businesses all the time. If you can do something that achieves the end result goal and you are able to capitolize on this in another area (add more trumpets, mellos, snares) or add greater effect then do it. The thing you seem to be zeroing in on is the lack of tubas (whatever happened to contras) on the field, there will be more, they had holes, they have been filled and the kids will catch up with the rest of the corps.

Intersting to call out Spirit only on this as there are many other corps that are using synths to acheive the same "musical cop-out" that you are discussing.

let's just say that I think that effect should be achieved with guys and girls rupturing a lung on their tuba versus a single guy pluckin' some strings.

your absolute right on this point......spirit has recently filled a couple contra holes......but ya know, as much as we all want a full line, it doesn't always happen. For one reason or another, not all drum corps will have a full line....maybe it's not the intention of spirit to cover up for fewer tubas, but hey at least the bottom sound is there. it's not like they said we only want 7 tubas so that we can use a bass to compensate. maybe you could financially sponsor a tuba player to help fill up the line????

Nice effect? maybe. BUT, let's just say that I think that effect should be achieved with guys and girls rupturing a lung on their tuba versus a single guy pluckin' some strings.

... why?

... why?

:rolleyes:

Maybe because it's drum corps?

I totally agree with Granny.

And I think we should completely eliminate the pit and go back to the time when EVERYBODY marched!

It's Marching Music's Major League, right! So let's all MARCH.

... why?

While having an entire drum corps tuba-line on the sideline the entire time sounds much easier, it makes your corps look like a bunch of #######. Recruitment probably goes down even further because no one wants to march contra for no reason. (I have no idea if this would actually happen, but it seems the logical outcome of this direction)

Yeah I said the P word.

your absolute right on this point......spirit has recently filled a couple contra holes......but ya know, as much as we all want a full line, it doesn't always happen. For one reason or another, not all drum corps will have a full line....maybe it's not the intention of spirit to cover up for fewer tubas, but hey at least the bottom sound is there. it's not like they said we only want 7 tubas so that we can use a bass to compensate. maybe you could financially sponsor a tuba player to help fill up the line????

You know it's not about numbers i remember one year Boston marched 20+ horns and they had a rich full sound and they did it with heart .Did not make top twelve that year but was close and gained a lot of respect that year.Lets cut cost we can march 10 - 15 horns 4 synths and wow what a big sound .Pump up that volume nob and get the danceing chickens started all in the name of change.

Well...I know what Granny Smith was trying to say, and I don't like the fact that drum corps is changing from when I marched. Nobody else mentioned this, but I was reading the post and read where Granny Smith did NOT like the bass player and stringy bass thing he was playing and couldn't help but wonder what the **** the bass player ever did personally to Granny Smith?...All joking aside, I know what GS meant...

I know a lot of people will criticize Spirit for this "bass" thing, but I think for Spirit to go out on a limb and take advantage of an opportunity to be creative and innovative is totalling something they needed to do. Give them credit. Parking the front ensemble in the early 80's was a huge deal and some had issues with that. Now we couldn't imagine a corps not having a pit at all. I do have a concern that one day drum corps will have a pitted orchestra, but I don't ever believe what Spirit is doing will lead to that. Think about it...it totally fits their show.

Ask yourself?

1. Was pitting the front ensemble a cop out?

2. Was going to 3 valves a cop out?

3. Was the vocal stuff that Cadets and Bluecoats did a cop out?

4. Was going from 128 members and increasing the corps sizes a cop out?

4. Is having a bass player for effect a cop out?

I think the activity has been trying to find itself, or innovate, just as many corps are. I will say that I believe Spirit has been reborn with this show. I am glad that they is taking a chance and doing something that stirs the pot, if you will.

Thanks for reading...

I and others have raised this point before. Why should one individual (esp synth but any elect will do) have such inordinate power relative to volume and scope of sound? How is this individuals contribution to be assessed compared to the other 100 musicians who are constrained by the ability to produce only one musical timbre at asuch a limited

dynamic range? To me it is common sense that NO ELECTRONICS should be allowed!