Cabs at the beach

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL! Only 7 DCA corps have been in competition so far and some people are already declaring Bucs the champs!

Everyone tries to figure out what has made the Bucs so successful over the past half decade. Awesome staff, talented membership, strong volunteer support, etc, etc, etc. Lots of corps have that too. The simple fact of the matter is this: Bucs come storming out of the gate so well prepared they are just that far ahead of their nearest competitors. From then on, it's a chase. Other corps try to catch up to where the Bucs already are. If you want to topple this giant, you need to come out of the gate stronger than they are. This is not the DCA of 30 years ago. The corps that's leading at the beginning of the season isn't just going to relax and have a few beers waiting to be caught down the road. Like I said in my review, Cabs came out with a stronger start than I've ever seen from them. But guess what... so did Reading! They came out more powerful this year than last year (if you can believe that).

And I know what alot of people are thinking... gee, Hawthorne was only 3.725 away. True, but I gotta say (and I mean no disrespect to the Cabs, I think their show is awesome) that in my honest opinion (not that it counts for anything anyway) they weren't even that close. Based on Cabs score (72.713) I would've had Bucs somewhere close to an 80. YES - THEY'RE REALLY THAT GOOD. We'll see how scores shake out after everyone goes head to head, but I highly doubt you're going to see much drama at the top spot. The two best dogfights are going to be for the Top 5 and for the Top 10. That should be interesting. And for Class A, anything goes.

Not so fast with the dynasty talk quite yet. Only 3.725 between Bucs and Cabs. I figure there may be a corps or two between them as well. The caption sheets will tell the real story. If Bucs swept the captions, folks may be in for a LONG year.....

When you win 4 years in a row undefeated I think you have established a dynasty. To me the biggest problem the other corps may have is the relative shortness of the season and opportunities to get at the Bucs. With corps doing between 6-9 shows the year won't be long at all.

Edited by Fastone

Yep, Bucs swept all captions/subcaptions accross every sheet indicating perhaps a much more convincing win than scores might show. Cab's scores indicate a pretty solid first show effort going up against the defending champs, however there will likely be a corp or two (maybe three) between them and the Bucs once everything shakes out over the next few weeks. Cab's prospects for a championship based on this placing (read: slotting), seems improbable at the moment. Didn't really look at Bush's recaps, however this is historically a corp that can make up ground over the course of the season. Can they overtake the Cabs?

never write anyone off. Remember Cabs werent exactly on Brigs tail as 03 started. plus some recent staff changes at cabs, one everyone falls into their new roles, could be beneficial

never write anyone off. Remember Cabs werent exactly on Brigs tail as 03 started. plus some recent staff changes at cabs, one everyone falls into their new roles, could be beneficial

In 2003, the Brigs and Cabs didn't meet until first week of Aug. Brigs won - barely (0.313). But, if you look at the scores the two corps posted in the weeks prior, Cabs were about the same or even higher than Brigs most weekends.

6/28: B=72.800, C=71.275

7/05: B=75.175, C=74.950

7/12: B=78.200, C=80.825

7/19: B=82.900, C=83.650

7/26: B=83.913, C=86.650

It was at West Haven the week before Finals when Cabs spanked us. THAT gave them the Mighty MO going into Nats. Cabs certainly were on OUR radar screens in '03 from the very first week.

Also note that Brigs clobbered Statesmen the first week (5.500) that same year, but by Finals the spread was down to 0.262.

To me the biggest problem the other corps may have is the relative shortness of the season and opportunities to get at the Bucs. With corps doing between 6-9 shows the year won't be long at all.

And, if I note properly, Bucs will not see Hurricanes until Cabs' Grand Prix (7/11), Statesmen until Scranton (8/1), and MBI until Prelims.

Bucs vs Cabs happens 4 times before Finals (and 1 is already done). Bucs vs Hurcs happens 2 times. Bucs vs ES happens 2 times. Bucs vs MBI happens not at all.

So, there are exactly 8 chances for a 2nd-5th corps from 2008 to topple Bucs prior to Finals, and 1 chance is already used up.

(BTW, does anyone honestly think that if it hasn't happened before Prelims that it could happen afterward?)

And I know what alot of people are thinking... gee, Hawthorne was only 3.725 away. True, but I gotta say (and I mean no disrespect to the Cabs, I think their show is awesome) that in my honest opinion (not that it counts for anything anyway) they weren't even that close. Based on Cabs score (72.713) I would've had Bucs somewhere close to an 80. YES - THEY'RE REALLY THAT GOOD.

It's funny how 2 people can be at the same show and come to completely opposite conclusions... :sad:

It's funny how 2 people can be at the same show and come to completely opposite conclusions... :sad:

Yeah, but that's why they're opinions. And the same holds true for judges. Honestly, there was no way on God's green Earth that I would've had Bush's guard in last place Saturday night, but there it is.

Go Bush! See you guys next weekend. :)

Thanks, we Missed ya.

GOBBUSH :sad:

Yeah, but that's why they're opinions. And the same holds true for judges. Honestly, there was no way on God's green Earth that I would've had Bush's guard in last place Saturday night, but there it is.

And then it all flip-flopped. :sad:

We absolutely agree 100% on THAT!!! I was shocked when I saw that on the recaps.