Dennis Dodd... again?

slow clap for that guy....perfect example of American ideals there. Wow thats worse than Jim Rome burning about band. Wes you letter was fantastic. I couldn't write anything better.

I don't know why the cart was there. Maybe its been there every game for the past 20 years and just now someone realized it shouldn't be there. Maybe it was there that one time and the accident happened that very day. Whatever. The writer makes it sound like the band director was driving the cart into the player. (I know he wasn't, but jeez, the cart didn't run into him he ran into it.) This accident could very well happen anywhere on the field. Hmmm, last time I checked there are benches everywhere on the sidelines and even an occasional exercise bike. You can't tell me some day someone is gonna go for a pass in the sideline and end up with broken bones.

The best thing will be to upgrade saftey protocols, not sueing some poor soul who was just doing their job.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so everyone has a better understanding of what actually happened...

This is our stadium:

jc.jpg

the area in black in the south endzone (where the green seats are) represents where the band sits.

the dark gray area in front of it, is a very large concrete wall and a hill.

the red square indicates where our carts used to sit (and where the incident took place).

as you can see, this is a good 15 feet away from the back of the endzone. the carts have been there incident free since 2006. nobody has complained, nobody has gotten hurt. this past season, this guy decided he was going to be a hero and try to catch a ball that was way overthrown. nevermind that he's already out of bounds and catching the ball is still null and void because, oh hey, you're out of bounds.

did Marshall University or the Marching Thunder have evil intentions to maim every receiver in our conference? no.

the MU community has been more than hospitable to this kid, but he keeps wanting more. imo- what he really needs is some Jesus and a lesson on how to not be greedy.

This accident could very well happen anywhere on the field. Hmmm, last time I checked there are benches everywhere on the sidelines and even an occasional exercise bike. You can't tell me some day someone is gonna go for a pass in the sideline and end up with broken bones.

Great point!

...This accident could very well happen anywhere on the field. Hmmm, last time I checked there are benches everywhere on the sidelines and even an occasional exercise bike. You can't tell me some day someone is gonna go for a pass in the sideline and end up with broken bones.

It is of course a tragedy that a student athlete was injured. As has been pointed out, that attitude presented by the commentary is tragic, also.

This gist of the article, starting with the title, is first that blame must be placed, mostly because it can be placed with the band. The closing quote from the injured player seems to imply that had he been injured by running over any of the above mentioned objects, then he would have not been bothered.

"I'm not a mean person," Edwards said. "I'm a forgiving person. I don't hold any grudges [but] it was a band cart."

Ugh. Reading this article reminds me of every sports writer I ever worked with (and I apologize if there are any sports writers here who are exceptions to this). Without fail, each one had a completely dismissive attitude toward marching band (and, by extension, drum corps).

It's a classic case of someone having to observe something they don't understand, don't want to understand, but, having been forced to sit through football halftime shows (which, as we know, are only part of the story), they think they know all there is to know about the activity. But all they really know are the stereotypes . . . which somehow threaten their manhood, thus requiring some sort of public stand in opposition. For most of them, it never gets any farther than rudely ignorant verbal derision, but sometimes -- as is the case here -- those comments make it into an article. Pretty disgusting.

Edited by byline

It seems to me that sportswriters like Jim Rome and Mr. Dodd are either an athletic "has been" or "never was". To alleviate their feelings of inadequacy, they must compensate by attacking a culture that has found a worthwhile avenue to pursue.

I dont recall this..can you give a rundown?

Football coach orders players to run through corps during run-through, injuring two corps members: article

Here's my response...

Mr. Dodd,

I resent your characterization of band members. As a jounalist, I would hope that you could refrain from stereotypes.

As a high schooler, I played basketball for Lute Olson. Shorter than most, I spent more time on the pine. But what I really excelled at was drumming. It was obvious to me that I was a much better drummer than a cager.

That doesn't mean I got off light. The mulitple tenor drums I carried and played weighed 65 pounds. I want you to consider what kind of stamina it takes to march and play for 10 hours of rehearsal a day. But let me tell you a better story.

Several years ago a member of the Bluecoats Drum and Bugle Corps from Canton, OH, (yeah, the host city of the NFL HoF) answered his country's call to duty. In the process of serving in our military, he lost half of his left foot to an anti-personnel mine. He underwent several surgeries as well as months of rehabilitation.

When he had fulfilled his service, he had one additional year of eligibility to perform with the Bluecoats at the Drum Corps International championships. He marched a full season with half a foot, playing and carrying multiple tenor drums.

While I feel for Mr. Edwards and his dilemna, it pales in comparison to this Desert Storm "band geek".

Let me also remind you that Walter Payton played in his high school band. What a "geek", eh?

I can think of any number of "band geeks" that could hand you your ###. Why not put your bias away, come meet some musical athletes and find out what you're really talking about. Until then, consider yourself uninformed.

Edited by CrunchyTenor