Possible shows themes/music now that electronics are legal

Thanks but I'd rather stick needles in my eyes....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no don't merge w/ synth threads, don't be such a wet blanket. You've got ideas for shows integrating synth? This is the place!

Merged synths threads.

Good decision!

Merged synths threads.

now no one's gonna read my show ideas, or add any of their own. Oh, I think the decision to merge threads was based on the moderator trying to subvert my positive enthusiasm for synths in drum corps, with their dominant hegemony of repression.

LoL

no don't merge w/ synth threads, don't be such a wet blanket. You've got ideas for shows integrating synth? This is the place!

i have a great idea for it.

no shows with them.

now no one's gonna read my show ideas, or add any of their own. Oh, I think the decision to merge threads was based on the moderator trying to subvert my positive enthusiasm for synths in drum corps, with their dominant hegemony of repression.

LoL

um, allow me to search for the proper response.

oh wait here it is:

wah

LoL

I actually liked a couple of your ideas to be honest. But after giving synths another try this year, I would rather just see them GO WAY!! It's not that I don't think the addition could be used for more effects and more ideas. I see a lot of great possibilities with using synths and electronics in general. But I love "drum corps" so I can hear those ideas arranged for a pure accoustic brass sound!!! Sorry, but that's my main problem. The addition of synths and electronics has taken away a lot of that sound and I miss it!!! It has nothing to do with me not liking the effect when done well, because I do. But I can just go watch BOA for that and enjoy it. And one of my favorite musical qualitites of "drum corps" will soon be lost.

Edited by Feathers Up

I actually liked a couple of your ideas to be honest. But after giving synths another try this year, I would rather just see them GO WAY!! It's not that I don't think the addition could be used for more effects and more ideas. I see a lot of great possibilities with using synths and electronics in general. But I love "drum corps" so I can hear those ideas arranged for a pure accoustic brass sound!!! Sorry, but that's my main problem. The addition of synths and electronics has taken away a lot of that sound and I miss it!!! It has nothing to do with me not liking the effect when done well, because I do. But I can just go watch BOA for that and enjoy it. And one of my favorite musical qualitites of "drum corps" will soon be lost.

Part of the reason I recommended my shows ideas to corps not among the elites is because I believe not everyone has to do the same thing. I don't think there should be a caption for electronic instruments, and I think the elite corps should stick w/ what works for them. At the same time it is difficult to completely remove electronics from the sheets because it would effect the Music GE judge. Your comparison to BOA is apt-- sometimes I think a really good marching band sounds better than a drum corps because of the woodwinds. A bad drum corps arrangement tends to sound like "band in a can." Anything we can do to enrich the timbre of drum corps seems like a positive step--isn't that why we invented the pit in the first place?