The Glendale Tap!

Maybe they should leave the blankets on for shows! :thumbup::smile:

But seriously, aren't reharsals to make sure EVERYTHING works and is balanced including amps and electronics? Aren't run throughs to be just like a PERFORMANCE? So why would they have the speakers one way for rehearsal and another for performance?

The Problem with that theory is that the corps only gets to be at the show site for shows, not rehearsal. Unless you are a finalist corps you dont get to stay at the show site normally, but sometimes that's not always the case.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Problem with that theory is that the corps only gets to be at the show site for shows, not rehearsal. Unless you are a finalist corps you dont get to stay at the show site normally, but sometimes that's not always the case.

I was responding to a poster who said they had the speakers covered during rehearsal and not in performance. That doesn't make sense to me.

I understand that they don't get to rehearse in the performance venue. But corps manage to balance the brass and percussion at the rehearsal site so why wouldn't the same apply to electronics?

As for it being early in the season wouldn't you balance things based on rehearsal and then after a few shows and hearing how things sound in a stadium make udjustments and not assume they need to crank them louder?

OR

If they cover them up to hear the horn and drum line better for cleaning, well if it's too loud for that maybe it's too loud for everything?

Edited by shawn craig

If they cover them up to hear the horn and drum line better for cleaning, well if it's too loud for that maybe it's too loud for everything?

They cover them up to protect them from sun and heat damage, as far as I know.

I do agree that they should be uncovered, at least for ensemble rehearsals and run-throughs.

or maybe get a couple of the pop-up ramada things to put them under instead of blankets etc. instant shade, sound still comes through unobstructed.

I was responding to a poster who said they had the speakers covered during rehearsal and not in performance. That doesn't make sense to me.

I understand that they don't get to rehearse in the performance venue. But corps manage to balance the brass and percussion at the rehearsal site so why wouldn't the same apply to electronics?

These 2 issues are completely different. You're not understanding the point that I am trying to make. When you put anything in front of a source that is producing sound, it will be softer than if it has nothing in front of it. With that being said they are covering the speakers to get them away from the heat, and therefor causing them to lose probably 3dB or so of sound. (Because the sound is still traveling through the sheets/blankets/etc. . ) And with losing that little bit of dB that they are losing while the speakers are covered, they obviously haven't taken into consideration when they get to the show site that the speakers will be uncovered. . So then they don't drop the main mix down those few dB that they pushed the main mix up during rehearsal.

There are many factors that could be causing the problems of too loud amplification at shows. . . But I think the main one right now is the speakers being covered during rehearsal and uncovered at shows.

Does this make sense to people?

But I agree the speakers should be uncovered during production runs or full runs. But for the 2 corps that I saw yesterday rehearsing. . when they were doing production runs (no full runs) they had their speakers covered.

These 2 issues are completely different. You're not understanding the point that I am trying to make. When you put anything in front of a source that is producing sound, it will be softer than if it has nothing in front of it. With that being said they are covering the speakers to get them away from the heat, and therefor causing them to lose probably 3dB or so of sound. (Because the sound is still traveling through the sheets/blankets/etc. . ) And with losing that little bit of dB that they are losing while the speakers are covered, they obviously haven't taken into consideration when they get to the show site that the speakers will be uncovered. . So then they don't drop the main mix down those few dB that they pushed the main mix up during rehearsal.

There are many factors that could be causing the problems of too loud amplification at shows. . . But I think the main one right now is the speakers being covered during rehearsal and uncovered at shows.

Does this make sense to people?

But I agree the speakers should be uncovered during production runs or full runs. But for the 2 corps that I saw yesterday rehearsing. . when they were doing production runs (no full runs) they had their speakers covered.

Sorry but I do completely understand.

They are covering the speakers for pretection or whatever during rehearsal and they are not covered during performance. I know when you cover a speaker the some of the sound is absorbed and it sounds different then when uncovered (same idea as muting instruments, no).

My point is why at some point during rehearsal, especially a music ensemble rehearsal or a run through would they not uncover the speakers for a short time to get an accurate read on the balance? Isn't that what an ensemble rehearsal is for?

I think the problem is THEY don't understand how having the speakers different from rehearsal to performance is causing balance issues.

Edited by shawn craig

since it was discussed in here, bumped to link to a photo of this year's SCV DM's uni. thanks to wil for the photo :unhappy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildabeast71/...9648588/?page=5

you can find pics of the uniform there