DCI app

I'm totally pulling this out of my ###, but let's say the market is around 10,000.

10,000 at best. A lot of you are throwing around awfully big numbers. This is a rather tightly focused app with a relatively small interest base. Keep in mind there are three things that massively restrict the market size on this one. All three must be true to make a sale.

1) Must be interested in DCI.

2) Must own an iPhone.

3) Must be willing to pay for information that's already free.

That's a pretty small subset of the overall market. If DCI decided to do this, I'm not sure they would make much money from it. I think it would be more likely to happen as an individual spare-time project.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10,000 at best. A lot of you are throwing around awfully big numbers. This is a rather tightly focused app with a relatively small interest base. Keep in mind there are three things that massively restrict the market size on this one. All three must be true to make a sale.

1) Must be interested in DCI.

2) Must own an iPhone.

3) Must be willing to pay for information that's already free.

That's a pretty small subset of the overall market. If DCI decided to do this, I'm not sure they would make much money from it. I think it would be more likely to happen as an individual spare-time project.

This is all very true, but you're also forgetting about people who own iPhone touches (I have one, but no iPhone). Sure, less of them would get the app than say people with iPhones, but I still am going to stick with my number of around 10,000.

If DCI charged for it, they'd get 70% of the cost of the app if they charged for it. And once it's made, there is no more costs associated with it except for just updating bugs and improvements as time goes on. It could easily interact with their website for scores.

Why spend all that time building an app when they could just design an iPhone-friendly site?

If there is going to be anything, it's going to have to be done by DCI. No one else is going to get approval for an app that relies on data from another website.

Why spend all that time building an app when they could just design an iPhone-friendly site?

Let me guess...you've never used the iPhone before...

Wow....you are awesome there!

Any chance of doing a DCA side as well? I know its hard because they probably don't have an easy way to extract the scores from the website.

Also...recaps. Keep up the good work!