If You Could Pick One Person To Put On Your Staff, Who Would It Be?

I'd really like to know what Jim Ott could do with some of the current hornlines...

Jim Ott + Regiment + Fire of Eternal Glory

Jim Ott + Cadets + Make Our Garden Grow

...well, you get the idea.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup: Don Taylor- Very good brass instructor for Carolina Crown and Magic of Orlando.

I was on the drum staff at Crown while Don was teaching the horns, in 92. He was very good at what he did, and then I was working a tad bit with Lassiter's drum line when he was teaching their horn line in 2000. Don's a great character and did a very good job while at Crown. He taught....

really? dennis delucia? for competition in today's dci? there's about 15 people i would take over him in a heartbeat. i know what he has done, but in the constantly evolving world of drum corps, he has been outdated for about 20 years.

Man, I hate doing these back and forth flame wars, but I think you are both disrespecting and underestimating the person that I've observed to be the single smartest individual I've ever met in 40 years in the activity. Outdated for about 20 years? - his Crossmen shows of the early 90s (okay - 16 or 17 years ago) stand out as some of the most entertaining and well put together shows in the history of the activity.

As show coordinator of Boston, he got them pointed in the right direction in the late '90s before getting out of the way.

My sense is that the 15 people you'd put ahead of him would laugh at the suggestion that he's outdated.

It's probably true that Dennis no longer has the drive to do a full year of big time drum corps - he has a family, a business, and other interests, but never ever confuse that with not having the skill.

The single smartest person I've ever met (for this activity). If you don't dig him - at least respect him. He's earned at least that 1,000 times.

Nothing personal - don't mean to jump on you - just my gut reaction forged over decades of observing.

Edited by rayfallon

and by the way, if I'm starting with one person, it's going to be a show coordinator - and Dennis is the first name I'd go with. I worship Jimmer, and Donnie and a whole bunch of the names included above - but Dennis remains my pick.