Decatur Spigot.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't consider them an underdog anymore after last year.

More of an under-horse? :blink:

Had to miss the Toledo Show ... so this will be my first live competition this year... looking for a fine time 2nite.

I will probably add my .02 tomorrow about my take on all the corps present.

Ok, as promised. Random thoughts from last nights show. Got there early due to gen adm seating, and got a good vantage point.

Capitol Regiment.. Great to see them back. did a fine job with a nice tight drumline. Larger numbers in the guard would help a lot.

Crossmen. You can tell they have not preformed as many shows as the others. Capes are great for the pre-show, but become quite distracting as the show progresses. Should shed them as they did in '08 Good solid hornline sound.

Boston. Great hornline moments. pit was a bit too amplified for my tastes. .Guard sells the show.

Glassmen. (I am a homer here as I am a gmen parent) MUCH inproved since my last viewing on FN and miles better than my last live look at family day.

I like the re-writes in the closer a lot. hornline is far ahead of this time a year ago. They have lowered the applification on the pit a bit (which was needed,) and the balance is much better. It was apparent why they narrowed the gap with Boston I can realisticaly see them outscoring them as the season progresses.

Crown....Easily the best show of the night . Seeing them live, it is apparent why they are outscoring Cavies, as they did last night. Their hornline just keeps getting better and better. When they crank the horns up with those 16 contras. (as in the "somewhere"hit) they sound like a ginormous pipe organ.

Cavies. Still great. with all those nifty visuals especially good guard this season, Brass sound is good, but hurts them going on after Crown as comparison. Pit is very talented.

Edited by Widge

Hey Everyone,

I went to the Decatur show and thought I'd comment on some of the corps. Color guard guy here - so comments mostly about the guard.

Capital Reg - only 5 in the guard. good show - about storms - reminded me of Crown in 95. The horns had some nice moments and the drumline was big and full. They will do good in Open Class.

Racine Scouts - it was sad as right before they were going to start they announced that the 2005 volunteer of the year from Racine Scouts died that day. Heart breaking. The corps did a nice job with their New York show - 9 in the color guard - they just need to clean it up - but its June.

Revolution - havent seen them since way back when they won Div III. The guard work was a bit too hard for these kids - everything was on a 45 degree angle - and it wasnt necessary. Chose to watch horns and drums instead. Will do good in Open class.

Crossmen - my age out team. I appreciated the horns and drums all have capes on - kind of cool. I didnt get what was going on from a show perspective. They were trying to be spooky I guess - like the corps vs. guard? The guard work was good this year and good talented kids - they are in the right direction. Appreciated the Star of Indiana 93 music.

Boston Crusaders - very provacotive - didnt get why - but then heard the Bachonale (sp?) and got why they were provacotive. The guard was very good - and the horn line was very good - loud. Liked it.

Glassmen - kind of blah this year. Guard was good, corps was good, just nothing memorable. Loved the Glassmen last year.

Carolina Crown - pretty cool show - love the Tenderlands - love the green - the guard is so talented, whenever Adam Sage is involved you know it is going to be a great show. They just have to complete their ideas and polish it up and the show has so much potential - cool stuff.

Cavaliers - really good this year - they too just have to polish up their ideas and it will be a great show. Interesting concept with climbing and the ropes. I imagine they will have some cool visual moments being added in throughout the season. It is worth seeing their guard - in my opinion best guard of the night. Very clean for June and the best color guard work. I wouldnt count them out yet - they could catch up to Crown.

All of this is my opinion - great job with everyone - have a good season.