Crown - was the Wizard of Oz the basis?

After watching Crown several times On Demand, it seems like the basis for the concept is the general Wizard of Oz story. They start out in the 'Heartland' i.e. Kansas playing the Promise of Living. The drill then has a tornado like effect that 'spins' them out into an alternate reality for Sensemaya. They then long for home in the Somewhere over the Rainbow/Somewhere amalgamation, and finally are spun out again into the Tenderland reprise.

I LOVE this show, and could easily see it winning the Title this year. I also love the Cadets show, Crown just seems more 'modern' and dare I say 'innovative'...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching Crown several times On Demand, it seems like the basis for the concept is the general Wizard of Oz story. They start out in the 'Heartland' i.e. Kansas playing the Promise of Living. The drill then has a tornado like effect that 'spins' them out into an alternate reality for Sensemaya. They then long for home in the Somewhere over the Rainbow/Somewhere amalgamation, and finally are spun out again into the Tenderland reprise.

yes

Yeah I thought that's what the show was this whole time... Didn't they say that? or..?

I haven't read anything officially from the corps saying it was based on the Wizard of Oz. There have been topics on here about the show concept. Those just mentioned that it was a group of Fairy Tale Characters going to an alternate reality similar to Cadets 05. I do wonder why they choose to outfit the guard in variations on Fairy Tale characters?

I LOVE this show, and could easily see it winning the Title this year. I also love the Cadets show, Crown just seems more 'modern' and dare I say 'innovative'...

Glad you made the connection..

This show continues to grow on me. I've never been a huge Crown fan, but this year and last just might make me come around. One of the most innovative of the year!!!

Pretty much what I thought. The whole thing starts of calm, then there's tornado-like chromatic runs and stuff to get to Oz (or Never Never Land since we have Peter Pan on the field, too), and then at the end, there's a definite "there's no place like home" feel. It's really very cutesy. Innovative isn't a word I use for it. It's people marching around playing music to some sort of storyline.

I've heard the metaphor can be extended to something else, though.