Crown 09 and BK 2000's

Recently Carolina Crown has been gathering a ton of supporters (and rightfully so). Last year they introduced a ton of Ballet-esque body movement into their shows. And well, I couldn't help but see a similarity to what The Blue Knights have been doing for several years now. But here's the fun part:

In past years I've heard a ton of "BK is boring" comments. While I, personally, love the different style the The Blue Knights bring to the field year in and year out, I've got to stop and ask: Why not the same comments for Crown?

Maybe not with "Triple Crown" but with "Finis" and definitely this year's show. Seriously. Putting aside the "so and so is better/i like the music more/anything not visual" reasons, the visual approaches are extremely similar, yet I have yet to see post after post of "Boring, going to get a hot dog" while Crown is on the field. The bandwagon seems to have prevailed, IMO.

It make me wonder if preconceived notions and stigmas of certain corps are making us miss what they're going for or how enjoyable their shows can really be. Or am alone in seeing this similarity?

2 things:

BK chose alot of boring music (there were exceptions) Crown rarely/if ever has put out a boring show.

The body movements have been in Crown's rep for quite sometime, but they aren't quite the same as BK's visual program. I'd liken Crown's body visuals to that of SCV moreso than BK.

Crown is playing Promise of Living, Somewhere, Somewhere over the Rainbow, Sensemaya, Church Windows...all pretty accessible stuff.

Yeah... you answered your own question there bud. Crown IS performing better, their music IS more accessable (less so this year, but its still pretty well known), and yes, people just like them more based on the past. If they kept doing these kinds of shows for 5 years, things might change...

Okay, the first time I remember any dance in Crown's show was 2005. The fact that these dance additions to there show are similar to that of BK's is that Crown does it tastefully and it, in fact, adds to the GE of the show. These dance moves are also used through out the show creating a persona through each and every individual on the field. I think that the dance incorporated in BK's show is unnecessary and over the top. If they possibly toned it down a bit, people would relate more to it and not go "grab a hot dog" during their show. I have always loved the sounds that BK's horn line produce, and appreciate the dance styles they put out there every year. Talking with other people about this same thing, and they say it just seems too out there and has nothing to do with their show. I hope they keep at it, and perfect what they are trying to bring to the activity!

Travis

The body movement in the big push during the second piece totally makes it, as the keep moving to the front of the field to finish off. :thumbup:

The body movement in the big push during the second piece totally makes it, as the keep moving to the front of the field to finish off. :thumbup:

Puck is the best part of this show. :tongue:

Two distinctivly different corps and two distinctivly different approaches. An orange tastes good, but it is not an apple. An apple is also good but it is not an orange. BK is great at what they do and have been for many years... Crown has found a nice nitch that they have added to to become elite. I would say that BK has inspired more body movement from many corps, not just Crown, but they still do it their own way and so do the other corps. I feel people who have said BK is "the hot dog corps," "not fan friendly," "too artsy," need to see this year's show and you'll get a taste of what I think is classic BK with some big twists. They have many great drum corps moments and fast pace non stop drill. They have something for everyone. Shiver Me Timber....

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98