Some Bluecoat Love

All the threads started for other corps about how amazing their respective shows are and not one for Bloo yet.

I've watched many of the top 12 so far via fan network, but so far every corps is going about as I expect...with one exception.

Bluecoats seem to have kicked it into high gear in 2009. Many many many parts of the 2009 show leave me going "whoa." It may not be the cleanest or the most intellectual or the fan favorite, but the Bluecoats staff has definitely raised the bar in terms of difficulty this year. If they make good, steady progress in cleaning then this show is going to be ridiculous come August.

Now what does have me worried is whether or not the difficulty level is too much for them this year. Will they drop in placement in favor of grooming the corps for better competitive status in 2010 and 11? I guess we shall see.

Come on, don't be shy! Honk your heart out. :worthy:

All the threads started for other corps about how amazing their respective shows are and not one for Bloo yet.

I've watched many of the top 12 so far via fan network, but so far every corps is going about as I expect...with one exception.

Bluecoats seem to have kicked it into high gear in 2009. Many many many parts of the 2009 show leave me going "whoa." It may not be the cleanest or the most intellectual or the fan favorite, but the Bluecoats staff has definitely raised the bar in terms of difficulty this year. If they make good, steady progress in cleaning then this show is going to be ridiculous come August.

Now what does have me worried is whether or not the difficulty level is too much for them this year. Will they drop in placement in favor of grooming the corps for better competitive status in 2010 and 11? I guess we shall see.

I haven't seen the Bluecoats at all this year (along with not seeing any World Class corps yet), but if what you're saying is true and their show has some difficulty to it, I'm sure the staff will have it alot cleaner come August, and they'll be fine.

I got a sneak peek of it on the site which shall remain nameless, then saw it on the webcast Saturday. This show is pretty much cool. Alot of people on the forbidden site were griping about how similar their "Children's Hour of Dream" was to BD 96. But hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you are a Bluecoats fan, keep the faith. In my opinion, there is a lot of meat in their visual show. It's demanding and offers many more pattern formations than some other Corps. As time goes on, they will ( or should ) be the recepient of a nice scoring and placement bounce once they clean this visually demanding show. Right now, if we are looking for a " sleeper Corps " that has a chance to move up it would be the Bluecoats.

Edited by BRASSO

I haven't seen it in person and probably won't until finals but I saw the on demand video from stanford and gotta say I'm a fan. I've enjoyed several of their shows from the past few years and I'll definitely be rooting for them to be highly competitive this year

Yeah they have an entertaining show, but right now it is WAY too hard for them. I feel like over the last few years they've kind of strayed from what they do best in trying to stay with the rest of the pack. I'm still not sure what I think about this show yet, but I'll give it some time to develop.

I saw them on VOD (or was it the live streaming show?). Anyway, they are awesome, but somehow getting a little lost in the shuffle of a bunch of great shows. When you look at the current top 12, there are some really fun shows this year, of course Blooooo being one of them.

Yeah they have an entertaining show, but right now it is WAY too hard for them. I feel like over the last few years they've kind of strayed from what they do best in trying to stay with the rest of the pack. I'm still not sure what I think about this show yet, but I'll give it some time to develop.

i dont think its TOO hard, its harder than years past, but i think they can pull it off and come out of nowhere in the end :worthy:

i dont think its TOO hard, its harder than years past, but i think they can pull it off and come out of nowhere in the end :worthy:

I've only seen it on the fan network from Stanford, but I love this show! Everyone's right though...it's highly demanding and just really dirty visually. If they can clean it up, hopefully they'll get credit for what they're attempting visually and musically. Those guys are moving.

I've listened to BD '96 and think the Children's Hour arrangement is very different. I guess I'm not hearing how it's the same other than the melody.

I think it's great that they've chosen a show with enough visual and musical meat that it won't be clean until August... I saw an early season rehearsal and I'll be honest- there were some pretty rough parts. I think the brass book is similar in difficulty to their 2007 show- several nice tuba solis, more power this year I think and a couple more counts added to the big impact points relative to years past-

Some criticisms: I don't feel like they use nearly as much as the field as SCV or Crown (though I'm re-watching their latest on-demand video and they do seem to be covering it pretty well- it was just my first impression- seems like SCV and Crown make better use of the 5-5 yardlines...) . I know they have a new drill designer and I know he's written for lots of great high school bands, but I'm unclear if he has written for DCI before- He's got some good stuff- but I find myself recalling the days of 64 member hornlines with explosive precision and super-high exposure and now-a-days you've got 76 or 80 in lots of lines and I feel like the increased numbers take some of the exposure out of the drill (though, SCV still seems to have a lot of exposure in theirs though from what I can tell)- and to give yourself the option for doubly-symmetrical drill patterns (from the front and side) you've either got to pull 16 out the 80 (see how Crown would so often would pull it's 16 contras out of the tougher drill last year to leave them a perfect square of 64 for better drill writing?)- OR make 2 groups of 40- it seems like blue is going for more of the 2 groups of 40 technique for several parts in the show- it's not that i'm complaining- it's a necessary change that has to be made and I would no doubt do the same if I were writing the drill- I think it just takes some adjusting to the style- I wouldn't say it's a "lower expecations" so to speak- it's ACROSS THE BOARD for groups with big hornlines- i guess there are just some big old moves that you could attempt with 64 but not 80 horn line members?

Their guard seems a noticeable 2-steps higher than they were last year- not much mention of that from others year- but some pretty juicy stuff there- might be more like a phantom guard, or a Cadets drill where they are "pretty great" until Mid-july and then something clicks and they are "really awesome/incredible"-- to use technical terms. Has a lot to do with the difficulty attempted- (not unlike a Cadets drill book!)- and from a compeditive standpoint, I'd rather be the corps that does OK in June but GREAT in August because I attempted to do more on the field...