Memories of Past Corps

I was always a proponent of not being a groupie for one of the "big" corps. However, in the privacy of my home it was a different story. I would listen to every recording of Hawthorne I could get my hands on. Cold chills every time.

Who could forget the snare line and the famous "Hawthorne Stare"

5 tics for the drum line in 1975.

Jeff Kievit. My vote as the greatest soloist ever. The crowd would cheer...than hush when he was about to play. Oh yeah, he would play on one foot while jumping up and down. Oh yeah, he would do this with a valve rotory horn, probably a Getzen. He would fill the entire stadium with sound. He even "outplayed" the helicopter taking off during the 1974 prelims at Cornell.

We will never know what their placement would have been in '75. The only thing I do know, is that there seemed to be a few holes in some of the corps competing in finals that night....hmmm.

Finally, for some of the non old timers. Back in the pre-historic days. Senior corps ruled. The goal for junior corps kids was to be able to march with a Senior corps. The Muchachos started as a feeder corps for the Cabs. I guess that would explain why the Cabs were always the front runners.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loudest corps...... EVER! Even corps today with 70 horns can't compete.

Too bad they felt they had to cheat to win. They were one of my favorate corps up until then.

Now, now! Like they were the only corps doing that?

Too bad they felt they had to cheat to win. They were one of my favorate corps up until then.

Well ... not.

Muchachosdrumline.jpg

But I did love this drum line.

Puppet

I found this on Facebook. Great picture. I think I read it was Jeff Kievit and Bob Clark

JeffK.jpg

Looks like besides being able to play, you had to meet a height requirement to march in that snare line. Those were the good old days!

:laughing:

Fred O.

I found this on Facebook. Great picture. I think I read it was Jeff Kievit and Bob Clark

JeffK.jpg

Soprano ... not so much.

Puppet

Looks like besides being able to play, you had to meet a height requirement to march in that snare line. Those were the good old days!

:laughing:

Fred O.

I think the low-slung snare makes them all look a little taller. Part of the image, I would imagine.