Beverly's Beanpot Surprise.

I was eager to hear Cadets WSS 2009 treatment 25 years after the 1984 masterpiece. Unfortunately for me, it suffered in comparison. It just seemed too choppy and there were some obvious phasing problems in the beginning. It lacked the flow and momentum of the '84 show and seemed rushed, forced, and frenetic. Now, granted, there was no high view at Beverly and this show may have more coherence from a big picture high view perspective. I did enjoy the final 1/3 of the show (after the big punch), but my overall impression was that this program will not match Crown's without some revisions as well as better execution.

Crown, bravo for a beautiful brass sound! Very polished performance especially for early season. For me, the program lacks the emotion and easily accessible appeal of their shows over the prior several seasons. This show is more abstract and intellectual, but I think it will grow on me. They are a for real top three. It will be interesting to see how they stack up against Blue Devils and don't count out SCV, Phantom, and Cavaliers!

I agree that the point spread of the Boston Crusaders from Cadets and Crown seems too great. They are performing a great program well. I love the attitude which their battery projects. It should be interesting to see how they stack up against Blue Stars. The corps seem close for the #7 spot.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cadets do what the Cadets do, and it doesn't matter if they win or not. They're still going to put a whole bunch of effort in. That's why people like them, even in their "off" years.

As far as Crown being different than everyone, I agree. I don't think they are "zag" to everyone's "zig", but they are certainly different. I don't think in a good way, either. I haven't liked their shows since '07, because they seem to not give a hoot about drum corps. The seem like an advanced band with no respect to traditions (which I guess comes with being a new corps). But if you watch them in the lot, entering the gate, etc., you just see a corps that does thing slightly off of what you would expect of a World Class corps. I guess that also comes with not having an identity.

last year...with all the nods to great drum corps past, especially visually....was not respecting traditions?

:thumbdown:

I was eager to hear Cadets WSS 2009 treatment 25 years after the 1984 masterpiece. Unfortunately for me, it suffered in comparison. It just seemed too choppy and there were some obvious phasing problems in the beginning. It lacked the flow and momentum of the '84 show and seemed rushed, forced, and frenetic. Now, granted, there was no high view at Beverly and this show may have more coherence from a big picture high view perspective. I did enjoy the final 1/3 of the show (after the big punch), but my overall impression was that this program will not match Crown's without some revisions as well as better execution.

Crown, bravo for a beautiful brass sound! Very polished performance especially for early season. For me, the program lacks the emotion and easily accessible appeal of their shows over the prior several seasons. This show is more abstract and intellectual, but I think it will grow on me. They are a for real top three. It will be interesting to see how they stack up against Blue Devils and don't count out SCV, Phantom, and Cavaliers!

I agree that the point spread of the Boston Crusaders from Cadets and Crown seems too great. They are performing a great program well. I love the attitude which their battery projects. It should be interesting to see how they stack up against Blue Stars. The corps seem close for the #7 spot.

I'm in agreement with your take here as well, Geneva. I personally think the 1984 Cadets version of West Side Story is head and shoulders better than this 2009 Holy Name Cadets West Side Story version. ( I even like Cadets '94 version of WSS better than this 2009 WSS version ) I don't know, maybe the expectation bar was set too high for this year's version.. But I did not like the musical arrangements here at all. Nor the percussion parts This 2009 WSS version right now is very choppy and has a harshness in sound that was rather surprising. The show is missing something that I just can't put my finger on....... Crown's horn line just has a nicer sound that is coming out of the brass and this is definately a step up in complexity and demand here from them. Both the Carolina Crown Corps unis and the Guard unis I don't care for at all. And the performance movements in the Guard are a little too whimsical and effeminate for my tastes, so I try not to watch that segment of their Corps. But the Percussion and Brass are top notch and the visual demand in their show is there. I'm not sure I like this year's show the best of Crown's shows, but they are putting out a quality show that a lot of design thought went into it appears. They are getting the scores they deserve in my opinion....... like you, I also think the spread between Boston and Cadets seem larger than warranted right now too. Boston is putting out a great product this year for them.

Edited by BRASSO

any thoughts at 8:20 of Crossmens show?

I feel like a lot of the opinions out there are Cadets seem like they're the Transformers 2 of drum corps. Amazing special effects, but in the end, lacking core value and substance. An amazing movie in idea that turned out to have 28% on rottentomatoes.com (hopefully some of you know the site). A show/movie that was given so much hype and excitement that everyone's disappointed when it finally comes out.

Not personally my opinion, I love the show. Just trying to compare the vibe I get from reading DCP over the last 2 weeks.

wow...Crown missing a bass, and on VOD you cant tell unless you see the hole in the drill

I feel like a lot of the opinions out there are Cadets seem like they're the Transformers 2 of drum corps. Amazing special effects, but in the end, lacking core value and substance. An amazing movie in idea that turned out to have 28% on rottentomatoes.com (hopefully some of you know the site). A show/movie that was given so much hype and excitement that everyone's disappointed when it finally comes out.

Not personally my opinion, I love the show. Just trying to compare the vibe I get from reading DCP over the last 2 weeks.

c- ish rating from critics brought in 200 million in one week

any thoughts at 8:20 of Crossmens show?

I might be in a minority here on the 2009 Crossmen show, but their show this year works for me. It is a very dark theme for them this year, but the musical arrangements are well crafted in my opinion for such a theme, and the visual fits the theme nicely and the Guard compliments the theme rather well too.. It is a unique show that stands out among the others, and in my opinion if the Crossmen intend to get back into the Finals some year they are going to have to be more than a " me- too " Corps. So the capes, and the black and dark theme, etc this year seems an attempt to do just that and I applaud them for this. Right now, what is holding them back is execution. They have a ton or work to do in this regard, as their visual patterns, formations, feet, cover, brass playing, drums,, etc are simply behind the pack right now. They have MUCH work to do in cleaning this show. How much they are able to clean will ultimately tell the story for them this year.

Edited by BRASSO

c- ish rating from critics brought in 200 million in one week

touche

I might be in a minority here on the 2009 Crossmen show, but their show this year works for me. It is a very dark theme for them this year, but the musical arrangements are well crafted in my opinion for such a theme, and the visual fits the theme nicely and the Guard compliments the theme rather well too.. It is a unique show that stands out among the others, and in my opinion if the Crossmen intend to get back into the Finals some year they are going to have to be more than a " me- too " Corps. So the capes, and the black and dark theme, etc this year seems an attempt to do just that and I applaud them for this. Right now, what is holding them back is execution. They have a ton or work to do in this regard, as their visual patterns, formations, feet, cover, brass playing, drums,, etc are simply behind the pack right now. They have MUCH work to do in cleaning this show. How much they are able to clean will ultimately tell the story for them this year.

listen to the on demand and you will no what im talking about