A Dubuque Review

I think probably because you came on this forum and boasted about it.

The way I read your post, you were VERY PROUD that, while others around you expressed their thanks to the members, you sat and silently protested. That would have been very classy, until you broadcast your action (or non-action, as the case may be).

"Violently opposed" is too strong a characterization, but you certainly want everyone to know.

And now they do.

Feel better?

Yes, thank you. I would feel even better if someone can tell me who and how this bass guitar is being judged. Is it percussion or horn, or colorguard???????? I made no big deal of sitting. I merely mentioned it because I was giving my own sloppy jist of what happened that night at that show with the stupid ice cream and bad brats and bad parking and bad national anthem singing and bad colorguards and bad use of songs and bad use of field coverage...........

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, thank you. I would feel even better if someone can tell me who and how this bass guitar is being judged. Is it percussion or horn, or colorguard???????? I made no big deal of sitting. I merely mentioned it because I was giving my own sloppy jist of what happened that night at that show with the stupid ice cream and bad brats and bad parking and bad national anthem singing and bad colorguards and bad use of songs and bad use of field coverage...........

FWIW (probably not much) I'm with you 84--the reaction to your posts dumbfounds me and is the kind of thing I was referring to in the "can't we get along" thread.

I found Tom's review refreshing. It gives me a base from which to form my own opinions when I see the corps in person in the next week. What I find amasing is the constant reference of many reviewers to compare 2009 productions with productions from fifteen to twenty years ago.

To compare the Blue Stars 2009 show with the Cadets amd Bluecoats 1995 shows is insane. I have been attending shows for over forty years and all I remember about most shows is that they where very good and I found them entertaining at the time. To use up one's brain cells to remember intricate details of past shows is a waste. Enjoy the moment and stop making reference to things most people could care less about.

Wow, your a terrible reviewer.

I disagree with just about everything you said.

Thanks.

He's a terrible reviewer because he has some not nice things to say about an organization with which you were once associated?

That's what it sounds like, at least.

I am sorry, but did you like anything by any of these corps? Your review really boasts of the negatives and barely breathes life into the positives. Coldstone ice cream SOLD OUT. They NEVER have popcorn there, and yes, I was saddened by that to. Did you fail to mention that this was the first Colts show SELLOUT in their history. Cavalier guard that you didn't find exciting was one of the most moving and nonstop action packed guards in the program. Unlike other corps cadet corps, Colt Cadets don't march ageouts and are barely highschool age, so the show is very age appropriate and well done for the level of talent they have to work with. Colts overall, have an ok show, but NOT when going on after Phantom and Cavaliers. See how well that worked out for Madison in Madison. As far as the synth situation, it is what it is. I sat and refused to stand for Spirit in their copout use of equipment. What rock show have you ever seen use steel drums?????? Blue Star are solid and very loud, Phantom is solid and very loud. Your attack on Pioneer was poor in both taste and judgement. They did get better. Saw them twice this year and they were better the second time, so their motto is appropriate, your attack though, was not. Just overall, not a very telling review by you.

I believe my review reflected accurately MY assessment of the evening's events. You disagree. Noted.

As to your specific points...

I did not enjoy the performances by these corps nearly as much as my viewing of other corps in Glendale Arizona. I believe the early season weather has much to do with this. There weren't many positives to be honest with you. Regiment does not tell this story as well in this show. Cavies are not as ready as they have been in the past. Madison's second half was almost unreadable. Colts are small and have a simple show design. Blue Stars have cluttered half the field with stuff and Spirit's solid hornline doesn't play enough. Pioneer and Racine are basically a no change from the past. Still lacking in what it takes to begin any serious movement for competitive improvement.

I liked Colt Cadets show the most given my knowledge and expectations. They may have been the single corps who exceeded my expectations.

I liked the steel drum and the player was outstanding. Would you have rather had a synth patch perform the part?

Cavies guard stood with flags at their sides for much of the last 2 minutes of their show...obvious of work not yet complete.

I could go on, but the review says what I saw. You disagree. Your perogative. And noted.

Your critique of my review borders on a personal attack. I would urge you to restrain such strong emotions. It's only one drum corps show. By the way...I did mention the sell out and suggested the Colts organization look to an alternate location with more seating next year. Dubuque has to have at least one better venue with better parking, more and higher bleacher seats and better logistics for the corps.

Evidently if it's not Academy Tom doesn't like it. The brats were fine, my only recommendation would be to serve them on brat buns instead of hot dog buns. :thumbup:

I would agree. And mine was charred black on the outside.

Also, I very much liked Troopers show and Blue Knights' show so far this year. I think SCV is consistent with the past and as I said in my review, I chalk the Dubuque show up to too much early season bad weather.

So, when the news isn't all positive and rosy...attack the reviewer. Noted.

However, I saw what I saw and I commented accordingly.

Your son was 100% correct. I was 2/3 up on the 40 sitting. I didn't boo, like a lot of you did to the Cadets in the last few years. I just didn't stand. If that in itself broke your sons heart, then I apologise. Just don't expect that any corps that pushes the envelope past the stamp, that everyone should just be fine and happy about it. NO ONE IS FORCED TO MARCH ANYWHERE, so deal with the outcome of marching where you march. Now you guys are starting to feel what the Cadets have felt for years. By the way, is there really a bad brat????? That makes a for a great review. Thanks Tom.

Oh yes...there is a bad brat. My dad...could char the life out of a brat. The one I had was an homage to his grilling efforts.

Wow...you read bad National Anthem singing into my review. I noted his early mistep was all. I thought it was a fine performance overall...as was noted in my review.

I believe you have a personal issue with me and I guess that's your cross to bear. Enjoy the weight.

I would encourage you to let go. It's just a drum corps review. Spend your energy supporting the corps you love so much. In all of life, take what you can, learn and let go. I suggest this as a better approach to reading my review.

Take what you can from reading it.

Learn what you can from it.

And then, let it go.