A Dubuque Review

Music on the March

Dubuque, Iowa

June 30, 2009

Show Site

Dubuque is situated on the bluffs on the western edge of the Mississippi River. Nestled in these bluffs is Dubuque Central High School, home of Dalzell Field, the site of Music on the March. The stadium was a sell out, however, it’s not that big and is not a tall stadium so even from the mid level (Power Zone) seats, the drill does not stand out very well. This review will reflect this vantage point.

The weather was very cool for late June (lower to mid 60s) and heavy cloud cover continually threatened rain, however we merely got a brief drizzle during the end of the Blue Stars show and it quickly dissipated. It was definitely sweatshirt weather, especially for us Arizonans.

Other Miscellaneous Items

The Colts run a pretty good show. Parking is far from ideal and corps struggle to get in and out of their parking area. It’s just cramped. Also, the Colts were practicing in the stadium as we arrived and this provided some nice pre-show entertainment.

The Colts Honor Area Outstanding Scholastic Musicians at the intermission of the show and this adds to the crowd size and is very smart outreach and marketing. It also appears the Colts have a very loud and loyal fan base who were in good attendance despite the threatening weather. I wonder what a larger stadium would bode for the corps’ home show.

Concessions were…eh. Coffee was weak and there was no creamer or sugar. No popcorn and I was really hoping for popcorn. The brat I had was far from “Iowa’s Best Bratwurst” as advertised. My wife was happy with her hot dog. They had booked frozen confections…Cold Stone Creamery and a Hawaiian Ice guy…I imagine they did not go over well given the chill of the evening.

National Anthem

A Colts Board member sang the National Anthem acappella. After an early falter on the third note…yeah, the really low one, he recovered nicely and went on to sing a rousing rendition. Nice job.

Racine Scouts

First up, the Racine Scouts took the field in the traditional blue and white with the red and chrome helmets. At this point, I just wanted to say, “Good Show, Racine,” but I just can’t. The show was very typical of their recent offerings and was a bit above the talent level of the members. There was one guard member with decent chops, however the overall package wasn’t very easy to decipher. There were several “shimmy” and suggestive moments for them during “Harlem Nocturne” that are frankly unnecessary for a younger group. As far as the horns and drums, they struggled too often with an array of New York themed tunes. Billy Joel’s “New York State of Mind” was barely recognizable as an opener and the 3 bars of “Give My Regards to Broadway” tacked on the end was a jolt after the opener.

As others have said, “Sing, Sang, Sung” is not very accessible for this young group and it shows on the field. There are several weak brass moments where and then these explosions from other brass sections that seem to come from nowhere. Mostly, it’s some members not confident in their work coupled with others who are over blowing their horns to compensate. Of particular note…one mellophone player was just painful to listen to on a couple of hits…keep it under control please. The thing plaguing a corps like this is getting enough quality staff and members to get a more presentable product on the field. Sorry, tonight’s performance was not ready for an audience.

Colt Cadets

I like this show concept a great deal and it is accessible and fun. With a mix of dark and dreamy themes, the Colt Cadets present their 2009 offering, “Lullabye and Good Nightmare.” Ranging from works by Billy Joel to Grieg’s, “In the Hall of the Mountain King,” the Colts take us through a sequence of good nights and scary nightmares and demonstrate how grown up this corps has become. The group really looks like they are enjoying this show and the battery and guard were highlighted at many points in the show and with good reason. There is some cleaning and adjustments needed for “Pee Wee Herman Theme,” but this show is really solidly put together and should do well as we move through the rest of this month and into August.

Some people will not appreciate the following comments and what I will focus on throughout this show and my comments on other corps’ performances, but this show would clearly be a very good high school marching band show, if it hasn’t already been performed at that level somewhere. It’s just solidly built and accessible to these young people.

Pioneer

I was hoping they would be better this year. Unfortunately, I didn’t see that tonight. The drums are marginally better. Brass and guard…on par with past seasons. If your motto is “Getting Better Everyday!” then take heart. You have plenty more days before the first week of August. Yes, Irish music. Yes, still the same uninteresting arrangements of said music. Oh, and contrary to some people’s belief…a synthesizer in the pit. Looks like Regiment is the only non synth corps in WC. I really didn’t matter much though, one could not hear the synth do anything. Maybe it was just tonight, but the corps seemed to be just going through the motions on this. They did not appear engaged in this production at all and that was what I saw reflected in their performance. And that says something, not only about the performers, but for the folks who work to prepare them for the performance as well. As much as I’d love to see this corps move up, I don’t see it happening with this show.

Spirit

Love the show concept and this corps sold it completely. This is another ideal vehicle for high school marching band and it works to a point. Rock music is very difficult to incorporate meaningful brass parts in some instances and that’s what I took away as a critique. Much of the rest I saw little issue with, but the horn parts seemed somewhat tacked on at points.

Much has been said about the string and electric bass and the lack of tuba players. I will address that in my wrap up comments. The brass sound big and as others have indicated, did not play nearly enough for my tastes. Much of the focus was on the pit which featured a fine steel drum player. It’s a rock and roll show and for as many problems as that genre can present for a drum corps, Spirit manages to pull it off for the most part. I already see five to six corps between 11th and 16th all really closely bunched together right now. Spirit will be one of those corps but my hunch is this show gets them close to finals, but most likely not a Saturday spot at this point.

Madison Scouts

I liked the first half of this show. Really. Nice work from all sections and the guard seems a step up from the past couple of years. The mello snake run is very cool and the concept is comic book crazy good fun. The fight scene between brass players and one of the guard should be staged closer to the front sideline and the whole second half of this show needs some major work done on it. Overall, I like this show better than the past two seasons and it should secure them a finals spot once the second half of this show comes together.

Blue Stars

Too much crap on the field. But, that being said…this show begins a clear breaking point between the barely making or on the cusp of making finals corps and a clear finalist production. Blue Stars have some work to do yet and there are some really horrible staging problems, but, the raw material is there to join the other Blue teams clearly in finals.

Where to start…half to tables need to go and replace the “fake” sewing machines with real ones. Move the tenor feature away from the clutter and set up the moments of the boys coming home better…they are really getting lost. Also, this show is it too reminiscent of Cadets’ and Bluecoats’ 1995 productions. Designers…go back and review these shows and then…do it new and fresh and differently.

Factory is a bad title for this show as well and what do brake drums have to do with sewing in a sweatshop? It’s little things like this that confuse the story trying to be told. The members can march and play and have what it takes to be a solid 7-9 place corps. Don’t let this mishmash of semi-creative ideas get in the way. Bring cohesion to the story and let the members perform and tell it. Simple flow is better.

Cavaliers

I asked myself all week…how did Crown beat Cavies all last week. I have my answer now. This show is only beginning of June ready. The corps is clearly two weeks behind where they should be right now and I have to believe it is due to weather forced interruptions to the schedule. I mean much of the work is not even in yet and the standing block near the end won’t be there long. In the past, the Cavies have learned at least two shows a season…one for now…and the other we gradually see develop after Midwest is over.

Well, this year it appears we get unfinished and then the parts keep getting added to build the August product. This show should have them neck and neck with Crown and I’m thinking just ahead of them in placement after it’s all done. So this Great Divide concept led directly to one huge tear in the opener and some lack of color moments from the guard. I was waiting for that Cavies guard moment that just floors you. It’s not in the show…yet I hope.

Phantom Regiment

The Jupiter doubters are very quiet as of late. The tale of these horns might be decided in how well they hold up, but they sound tremendous. Wow, what a powerful set of lungs you have there in Regimentland. The drummers are playing some really solid stuff as well with Paul Rennick’s work. Some people have commented about weak areas in the guard but I have not noticed it in this performance.

I just don’t think this tale of a Red Violin is told in a compelling way right now. It’s not 2005, 2006 good. It’s more akin to 2007’s show. Also, as great as it is to hear the Regiment wail though a swing chart, it’s not clear how the choice of music propels the storyline. I guess maybe I’m of the belief that telling a good compelling story was becoming a niche with Regiment. And perhaps, when all is said and done, this story will unfold. Right now…not a top 3 show.

Colts

I got to see the corps during practice and then in their evening show. The horns look small in number. They also stand and play a lot. This show keeps Colts back behind Madison and Spirit in the long haul of things. It’s just too simple. The guard is one of the high points for me but the brass and drums did not jump out and make me pay much notice. Also, when the corps turns backward, especially in files, the red uniform, especially the shoulders up the neck to the shako and plume show tons of visual dirt and bad body carriage positions.

So, it’s a show about the ocean. Fathoms takes us though a storm, through some fun moments, but in the end, this show doesn’t make it to Saturday night in its current form. Also, the final moments, the ins, outs and the backing into spots was causing me to shut one eye as I expected collision after collision…many close calls tonight. Some of the west coast corps I’ve seen, Troopers and Academy should compete favorably against the “Red Team.” That said, they hosted a pretty darned nice drum corps show and their organization seems healthy and well managed. Congrats on a good show.

Other Comments

Synths…everyone of the WC corps except Regiment had synths. Yes, even Pioneer had a synth in the pit. They did not bother me and there was only one noted malfunction. Unless you were at the Colts late afternoon run thru rehearsal you most likely didn’t notice it. The SOS sound patch they were using did not work correctly in the evening performance.

String bass and electric bass was used in the pit by Spirit. Evidently, it’s legal. I actually liked the effect of the bass in parts of the show. Only 6 tubas so obviously there was some doubling going on. My beef…get some more tuba players. And for those complaining about this use by Spirit…sponsor some tuba players.

Enjoy the season…my last show live so hence, my last review of the season.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry, but did you like anything by any of these corps? Your review really boasts of the negatives and barely breathes life into the positives. Coldstone ice cream SOLD OUT. They NEVER have popcorn there, and yes, I was saddened by that to. Did you fail to mention that this was the first Colts show SELLOUT in their history. Cavalier guard that you didn't find exciting was one of the most moving and nonstop action packed guards in the program. Unlike other corps cadet corps, Colt Cadets don't march ageouts and are barely highschool age, so the show is very age appropriate and well done for the level of talent they have to work with. Colts overall, have an ok show, but NOT when going on after Phantom and Cavaliers. See how well that worked out for Madison in Madison. As far as the synth situation, it is what it is. I sat and refused to stand for Spirit in their copout use of equipment. What rock show have you ever seen use steel drums?????? Blue Star are solid and very loud, Phantom is solid and very loud. Your attack on Pioneer was poor in both taste and judgement. They did get better. Saw them twice this year and they were better the second time, so their motto is appropriate, your attack though, was not. Just overall, not a very telling review by you.

I sat and refused to stand for Spirit in their copout use of equipment.

This makes me sad. The kids you're applauding at a show didn't make those decisions. Voice your opinion to the people who make them if you so violently disapprove (their contact info is widely available), but who are you really speaking out to when you do this at a show?

Mystic Pizza Food Reviewer Wanna Be - thanks for the review. :smile:

Thanks to all the Dubuquers and fans who showed up with their applause and support for EVERY corps who put it out there on the field. And thanks to every corps that gave it their all in Dubuque to make this year's Music on the March such a great sell out. As one who worked concessions for the Colts all night, didn't see the performances, but they sure sounded good to me and made the evening fly by.

Did anyone else get a bad brat?

Evidently if it's not Academy Tom doesn't like it. The brats were fine, my only recommendation would be to serve them on brat buns instead of hot dog buns. :smile:

YO, Tom might not put a ton of sunshine into his reviews, but he was honest about his opinions. Get off of it already. I do like to see more balance in a review but he also pointed out some things that most people are afraid to say on here. Why? Because they get flamed. Hmmmmmmm and guess what's happening right now.

Keep your positive thoughts and weigh them with Tom's assessment. The next time you see the shows, look for his points and judge for yourself if you agree or disagree, but don't flame the dude for writing a review. That's why so few write them anymore. Now kiss and make up or just say THANKS for the REVIEW and go to the next thread.

I sat and refused to stand for Spirit in their copout use of equipment.

Ah, so YOU'RE the one. After the show, we talked to our son on the phone, and when we asked him how the show went, he said, "It went great. We got a standing ovation from everyone except this one guy sitting about 2/3 up on the 40 yard line."

/sarcasm off/

If you really don't feel like the show is worthy of a standing ovation, then by all means, please remain seated. But the fact that you come on here and boast about not standing speaks volumes.

Do you really think the corps members - or staff, for that matter - really noticed that while most of the stands were on their feet showing appreciation of the hard work that had gone into the show they just performed, you were just sitting there?

And you want to jump all over Tom for being negative????? I guess in your book, negativity is wrong against everyone EXCEPT the evil Spirit.

BTW, nice review, Tom. While I hope your prediction of Spirit's show not making finals is wrong, I thought your review was just fine.

Edited by oldsoprano

Ah, so YOU'RE the one. After the show, we talked to our son on the phone, and when we asked him how the show went, he said, "It went great. We got a standing ovation from everyone except this one guy sitting about 2/3 up on the 40 yard line."

/sarcasm off/

If you really don't feel like the show is worthy of a standing ovation, then by all means, please remain seated. But the fact that you come on here and boast about not standing speaks volumes.

Do you really think the corps members - or staff, for that matter - really noticed that while most of the stands were on their feet showing appreciation of the hard work that had gone into the show they just performed, you were just sitting there?

And you want to jump all over Tom for being negative????? I guess in your book, negativity is wrong against everyone EXCEPT the evil Spirit.

BTW, nice review, Tom. While I hope your prediction of Spirit's show not making finals is wrong, I thought your review was just fine.

Your son was 100% correct. I was 2/3 up on the 40 sitting. I didn't boo, like a lot of you did to the Cadets in the last few years. I just didn't stand. If that in itself broke your sons heart, then I apologise. Just don't expect that any corps that pushes the envelope past the stamp, that everyone should just be fine and happy about it. NO ONE IS FORCED TO MARCH ANYWHERE, so deal with the outcome of marching where you march. Now you guys are starting to feel what the Cadets have felt for years. By the way, is there really a bad brat????? That makes a for a great review. Thanks Tom.

This makes me sad. The kids you're applauding at a show didn't make those decisions. Voice your opinion to the people who make them if you so violently disapprove (their contact info is widely available), but who are you really speaking out to when you do this at a show?

The kids choose where to march, and I am not the only one who isn't excited by this use of equipment. On the plus side, the bassist was very good as was the steel drummer, if this was band I would think it is a really well done show, but its drum corps. I don't violently disapprove, I quietly sat and waited for the corps to leave the field. I didn't stand and yell obscentites, I didn't question the talent of the corps or the bassist, I didn't BOOOO. I just sat quietly. How is that "violently opposed"?

The kids choose where to march, and I am not the only one who isn't excited by this use of equipment. On the plus side, the bassist was very good as was the steel drummer, if this was band I would think it is a really well done show, but its drum corps. I don't violently disapprove, I quietly sat and waited for the corps to leave the field. I didn't stand and yell obscentites, I didn't question the talent of the corps or the bassist, I didn't BOOOO. I just sat quietly. How is that "violently opposed"?

I think probably because you came on this forum and boasted about it.

The way I read your post, you were VERY PROUD that, while others around you expressed their thanks to the members, you sat and silently protested. That would have been very classy, until you broadcast your action (or non-action, as the case may be).

"Violently opposed" is too strong a characterization, but you certainly want everyone to know.

And now they do.

Feel better?