what was the smallest Corps to compete ?

A bit incomparable, but there's a new drum corps in my area, Freedom Drum Corps, saw them at a show this summer. 6 guard, 7 brass, 1 snare drummer.

When I was a kid and marching in the Northeasrtern Circuit in the late 70's, there was a corps from Rhode Island called the WARLORDS. I remember that had a Snare Drummer, Bass Drum, 5 horns and 3 guard.

Edited by CT-Horn

un.... be..... liev...... able.

Did they compete the WHOLE entire season

Dan,

I covered a few of their Eastern Mass. shows for DCW. In one show, they had no horns, so they took a snare player and had him honk away on a soprano so they could compete. In three shows, I think I saw a different person playing a soprano horn, but only one per show. I told their director that if they all showed uo at once, they could experience a chord. He didn't see they humor in it.

INT by far the smallest...but very clean :)

Dan,

I covered a few of their Eastern Mass. shows for DCW. In one show, they had no horns, so they took a snare player and had him honk away on a soprano so they could compete. In three shows, I think I saw a different person playing a soprano horn, but only one per show. I told their director that if they all showed uo at once, they could experience a chord. He didn't see they humor in it.

I think from reading this thread from above, that this Corps name was " The Braintree Braves " from Braintree, Ma. That Director must have been some piece of work to put these kids through THAT.

From reading this, would it be an accurate portrayal to say that this Corps, to use a bad cliche, had " too many Chiefs but not enough Indians " ?

Jeez, at least some kid here could say later pump up his drum corps experience by saying ( correctly ) that he..." marched drum Corps, played different instruments and was a soloist with both those instuments while in Drum Corps ". ( haha !) But still in all...... good grief.

Edited by BRASSO

When I was a kid and marching in the Northeasrtern Circuit in the late 70's, there was a corps from Rhode Island called the WARLORDS. I remember that had a Snare Drummer, Bass Drum, 5 horns and 3 guard.

I was going to ask about what their uniforms were like,... then I thought better and thought......hmmn, nah.

Many corps have smaller numbers this year than last year due to the economy. I still enjoy watching them all.

My corps was greatly reduced in member size for a short time. I loved the experience just as much as when the corps was full, maybe even better. It gave us a chance to get to know each other more and grow as a drum corps family. By building such strong friendships the corps had good member loyalty. It wasn't much longer till the corps was full again. Within just a couple of years the corps made DCI finals for the first time...

Never underestimate the power of a small corps.

We've kidded a bit on this thread, because there is " small " and then there is..... well..... " stupid small ".

I'd be remiss however if I did not give credit to those " small Corps " that really worked hard at putting out a good product on the field, and in many cases ( some cited above ) they succeeded in doing quite well in competition despite being outmanned. Many also provided a good level of entertainment for us as well. I think most of us here can think of lots of small Corps in the past ( as well as even some today ) that fit into this category.

Edited by BRASSO

I seem to remember Marion Cadets in the mid 90's marching 5 brass...no marching percussion ( a pit only) and 4 colorguard.

I think we can safely conclude that trooping the stands after a performance was decidely out with this Corps then, right ?

Blue Stars had something like 13 in the hornline back in 03....crazy to think about