what was the smallest Corps to compete ?

This week I noticed a Corps competing this year with approx. 9 brass players. ( Les Stentors, Quebec, Canada )

Over the years, we've all seen small Drum Corps compete. I ALWAYS give a lot of credit to marchers who marched with Corps that compete with small numbers aginst much larger Corps. I mean think about it..... the marchers know they are going to come in last or next to last. Yet they practice and prepare and go to competitions all summer to perform in front of fans like us. It takes a lot of intestinal fortitude for these kids to do this, and I admire them for it.

Question........ What was the smallest Corps you have ever seen ( or heard about ) compete in an outdoor competition on a field ? Who was that Corps, when was it, and how many brass, percussion, guard did they have out there to compete ?

Edited by BRASSO

Wow....9 brass. That is the smallest I have heard of in DCI. I've seen plenty of MB with extremely small numbers and it does take guts to be out there. I think it would be pretty ###### to be a member in that group and know that everyone must contribute, no one can hide.

Limited Edition 1996

7 Brass, 5 percussion, 4 colorguard and 1 drum major

photo here http://www.jolesch.com/userView.aspx?ID=11...mp;EventID=2960

Edited by Fishbone

Wow....9 brass. That is the smallest I have heard of in DCI. I've seen plenty of MB with extremely small numbers and it does take guts to be out there. I think it would be pretty ###### to be a member in that group and know that everyone must contribute, no one can hide.

It was in Open Class. This is where we'll see or hear about these small Corps out there giving it their all. Some of the Corps this Corps will compete against have more in the bari line than they have in their entire brass line.

I'm sure there were ( or are ) small circuits around the Country that have had small Corps compete too. I was wondering who people remember or have heard about or seen that were some of the smallest Corps that competed.

And how about World Class DCI Corps too ? Who are the smallest in numbers Corps that have competed in this Division that we recall ?

Edited by BRASSO

Limited Edition 1996

7 Brass, 5 percussion, 4 colorguard and 1 drum major

photo here http://www.jolesch.com/userView.aspx?ID=11...mp;EventID=2960

Geez.... this is small. They sure picked out the right name for their Corps. But I give them credit going out there to compete despite being so outnumbered.

Geez.... this is small. They sure picked out the right name for their Corps. But I give them credit going out there to compete despite being so outnumbered.

If memory serves, Mandarins won a Div 3/A-60 championship with nine brass back in the late 80's.

Not big in size, but they sure had the right attitude... :thumbdown:

marching-band.jpg

If memory serves, Mandarins won a Div 3/A-60 championship with nine brass back in the late 80's.

Whoa !..... they WON a Championship in their division with 9 brass ? That's pretty amazing. I'd imagine then that they must have beat out Corps with much larger brass lines., which is pretty cool. ....." A- 60 ", must have meant " total performers no more than 60 " ?

Edited by BRASSO

Mystical a few years back had 5 or 6 brass, all oher sections were proportional. It was their first year being activ and they were based in Newbury Park, CA.

Mystical a few years back had 5 or 6 brass, all oher sections were proportional. It was their first year being activ and they were based in Newbury Park, CA.

Cool. How did they travel to local shows ? Did they go via bus ? I'm guessing they probably did, but maybe not.

With brass lines this small, there is no resting in passages to be played, I'd imagine.

Edited by BRASSO