Show etiquette please

1. Children at shows - Most of us who bring a young child to a show are willing to bail on the show if the child is unable to sit through it. My daughter sat through all of Houston last year and sat through all of Rio Rancho this year. She's 5 1/2. But if she was the kind of child who can't handle "concert" style expectations, I wouldn't take her. I wish more people would think to bring distractions for their kids rather than expect them to be totally enthralled with the show. I always bring a few little quiet surprises for my daughter because "3 hours of drum corps" does not trump "new coloring book." :thumbup:

At shows in bigger stadiums, you can also often find a bunch of parents with their kids down around the end zone. Parents can still, sort of, see the shows. Kids can make some noise without bothering anyone.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I know what you mean, At our concerts at our high school, everyone is there no one gets up and leaves no one talks on the phone which is good for us who are performing :thumbup: Now at our contests the people sitting across from us screaming and hollerin like a bunch of baboons when they get 4th or 3rd. We get 1st, 2nds and an occasional 3rd but were taught to stand at attention and do our cheering and everything after all scores are anounced and all the guys are off of the field and all that stuff. Also most of us dont talk during another bands performance some do, but then their yelled at by the section leaders haha, maybe ill get to yell at a few this year :thumbup: just kidding. Anyways I have seen some people break down and cry if we get a 2nd. Happens but yeah. Thats my view. All of these otehr high school band we meet in competitions hoot and holler and its really annoying. I agree with you on that.

"Show Etiquette Please"........Interesting title but sounds one sided. I'm going to take the opportunity here to expound on "Show Etiquette Please". (works both ways).

Lake Erie Fanfare 29 June 2009: As the Erie Thunderbirds were commencing their warm up prior to their pre-show exhibition performance......TEAL SOUNDS ROCK BAND, a mere 40 yards away and facing the TBIRDS, saw fit to begin JAMMING with amps at full force and to the point we could not hear our director who was only several steps away. Did we confront them...? Yes !! Did they cease......? NO!! They said they had every right to be there. REALLY...? Were they part of TEAL SOUNDS SHOW...? Maybe a snippet but, nowhere near the half hour full out mind numbing sound during our pre show rehearsal.

We eventually had to relocate to continue. So yes.........SHOW ETIQUETTE PLEASE...is a TWO-WAY STREET. OR just simply.........RESPECT.

Edited by melligene

It's no coincidence that this takes place now, more than ever. DCI has targeted the BOA kids and families. Rules changes are drawing in "NEW" fan$. Traditional drum corps no longer exists because the alumni of DCI aren't a large enough fan base.

Please! I've been going to shows for decades. Rotten behavior wasn't invented yesterday and not by BOA kids. In fact, some of the worst behavior I've ever seen at shows was from adults who marched (or claimed to) and should have known better.

HH

It's one of the reasons I try to sit down as low as possible. First row at Columbia and Atlanta this year. It's just me and the great corps in front. No distractions, and can enjoy the performance. What I miss in drill, I make up with a wall of sound in my face and a great pit view!! I can see the drill on DVD later in the year.

Fortunately, I had decent seats for the first 3 years of live drum corps I attended. That all went downhill in 07 though. I went to the Atlanta show and had no issues. Two days later in Sevierville, my cousin and I got stuck next to a bunch of high schoolers who couldn't have cared less about what was going on down on the field. It was even worse when Vanguard came on for the encore. To them, the show was over, so why whisper, right? Nothing had held them back the rest of the night. It really drove me over the edge when they got around to playing Music of the Night. Phantom of the Opera was one of those shows I wish I could have seen live, so this was kind of a treat. Too bad I could barely hear it. I've never left a drum corps show so mad in my life. Then we had a group behind us that talked nonstop through the morning show in Atlanta. Fortunately, they didn't show up in the evening after learning the Scouts weren't making the evening show.

Fortunately, I had decent seats for the first 3 years of live drum corps I attended. That all went downhill in 07 though. I went to the Atlanta show and had no issues. Two days later in Sevierville, my cousin and I got stuck next to a bunch of high schoolers who couldn't have cared less about what was going on down on the field. It was even worse when Vanguard came on for the encore. To them, the show was over, so why whisper, right? Nothing had held them back the rest of the night. It really drove me over the edge when they got around to playing Music of the Night. Phantom of the Opera was one of those shows I wish I could have seen live, so this was kind of a treat. Too bad I could barely hear it. I've never left a drum corps show so mad in my life. Then we had a group behind us that talked nonstop through the morning show in Atlanta. Fortunately, they didn't show up in the evening after learning the Scouts weren't making the evening show.

It's stories like these that make me ask 2 questions:

1. Why don't more people speak up and ask for some basic consideration when people are being rude?

2. Why aren't the band directors doing something about it since they are usually there?

It's stories like these that make me ask 2 questions:

1. Why don't more people speak up and ask for some basic consideration when people are being rude?

2. Why aren't the band directors doing something about it since they are usually there?

I remember at a show in Kennesaw, GA, a few years ago, I did speak up. I went to security to address the problem. I did not (at the time) drive from Orlando to Atlanta to hear kids yapping during a show.

That's why I asked,"What are they teaching the kids these days about respect"? If you want to go visit with your friends, go somewhere ELSE!

Band directors? They have to contend with over zealous parents who think their kids are perfect, they're probably afraid to speak up cause the parents will tell on them. :thumbup:

Thanks for the heads up about Sevierville, one of the only shows I plan to attend this year to see BD. You better believe, if it happens while I'm there? I WILL, go get security or whomever I need to address the problem or I will start asking for my money back.

Edited by Lancerlady