Mission Drums- A Hot Ticket

For many years, Mission Drums was a must-see happening in the Boston area as legendary senior corps vied for the title and bragging rights. Even today, veterans argue about who won versus who should have won in 1960 and in a few other highly contested years.

Last year, Mission Drums was reincarnated at a new venue, Lawrence Memorial Stadium in Lawrence, MA. My 85 year old father commented on how beautiful and clean the venue is. (A visit to the men's room at more recent drum corps shows in old Manning Bowl was a fairly disgusting experience.) The neighborhood is safe and everyone I know had a positive experience as did drum corps fans who attended the DCI East Coast Classic at the same stadium within a couple of weeks of Mission Drums.

Although the crowd last year was moderate, this year's show has been advertised extensively the last two weeks in the Boston Globe as attempts to really establish it have been made. My corps, the Boston Crusaders Seniors, was allotted 72 tickets, and I sold all of them with a couple of additional requests referred to the DCA web site.

Our corps has 4 or 5 veterans (fogies?) including myself that competed in the earlier editions of Mission Drums. This year, health permitting, I will be honored to perform with Jim (Papa) Lutz who marched with Prince in the very first Mission Drums in 1958.

Mission Drums is a special happening for me, and I hope all Drum Corps Planet folks will attend.

For many years, Mission Drums was a must-see happening in the Boston area as legendary senior corps vied for the title and bragging rights. Even today, veterans argue about who won versus who should have won in 1960 and in a few other highly contested years.

Last year, Mission Drums was reincarnated at a new venue, Lawrence Memorial Stadium in Lawrence, MA. My 85 year old father commented on how beautiful and clean the venue is. (A visit to the men's room at more recent drum corps shows in old Manning Bowl was a fairly disgusting experience.) The neighborhood is safe and everyone I know had a positive experience as did drum corps fans who attended the DCI East Coast Classic at the same stadium within a couple of weeks of Mission Drums.

Although the crowd last year was moderate, this year's show has been advertised extensively the last two weeks in the Boston Globe as attempts to really establish it have been made. My corps, the Boston Crusaders Seniors, was allotted 72 tickets, and I sold all of them with a couple of additional requests referred to the DCA web site.

Our corps has 4 or 5 veterans (fogies?) including myself that competed in the earlier editions of Mission Drums. This year, health permitting, I will be honored to perform with Jim (Papa) Lutz who marched with Prince in the very first Mission Drums in 1958.

Mission Drums is a special happening for me, and I hope all Drum Corps Planet folks will attend.

Glad to hear the Senior Mr. Lutz will be there!!! Sort of makes it official!!!

:w00t::devil::w00t:

When I was a kid my dad being a Princeman Alumnus (cannot remember what year!!!) always talked about what a great show "Mission Drums" was. It was the Main Event every year in Boston for Drum Corps.

It's too bad my Dad is no longer with us but I know he will be there in spirit.

Hope the turnout is great and the weather holds up!!! :devil:

Mrs. & I got our tickets months ago - Had a great time last year, can't wait for next weekend !

OP's right - This a a show that you need to be at if you can. Great stadium, should be really exciting competitively-speaking, not-the-usual-suspects for exhibition corps (Not that there's anything wrong with the usual suspects, but variety's great too!).

And it's not too far to Woodman's for the best fried clams IN THE WORLD :devil:

How is the parking?

Any nearby resturants?

Fisrt time in the area - any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Plenty of street parking - If you get there early enough, some only yards from the entry gate. Can't help you with restaurants in the immediate area - Mrs. & I head up to Woodman's in Essex before the show.

Plenty of street parking - If you get there early enough, some only yards from the entry gate. Can't help you with restaurants in the immediate area - Mrs. & I head up to Woodman's in Essex before the show.

Woodman's (and its magnificent casual seafood) would be my choice as well, although there are also some outstanding places in Gloucester, but for those not willing to drive to the shore, one place to check out (if it still exists) is the Prince Grotto in Lowell. It's a part of the Prince Spaghetti factory. Haven't been there for years, but their veal marsala was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

You may want to check it out - and it's not far from the stadium.

Andy

Woodman's (and its magnificent casual seafood) would be my choice as well, although there are also some outstanding places in Gloucester, but for those not willing to drive to the shore, one place to check out (if it still exists) is the Prince Grotto in Lowell. It's a part of the Prince Spaghetti factory. Haven't been there for years, but their veal marsala was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

You may want to check it out - and it's not far from the stadium.

Andy

The Prince Grotto hasn't been in business for a long time. Lowell has several other excellent restaurants such as La Bonich for French food, and Ricardo's. I ate at Woodman's (actually in Essex) last week and it's still good for clams and other seafood.

In the Boston area, Rt. 1 is loaded with restaurants from one end to another which can satisfy the palate and budget of everyone.

If you look at the girth of the members of our horn line (Crusaders Seniors) you'll see that no one goes hungry around here.

For Italian, I recommend Polcari's, for steak, either Jimmy's steerhouse or the Hilltop, and for Chinese, the Kowloon is pretty good.

The Prince Grotto hasn't been in business for a long time. Lowell has several other excellent restaurants such as La Bonich for French food, and Ricardo's. I ate at Woodman's (actually in Essex) last week and it's still good for clams and other seafood.

In the Boston area, Rt. 1 is loaded with restaurants from one end to another which can satisfy the palate and budget of everyone.

If you look at the girth of the members of our horn line (Crusaders Seniors) you'll see that no one goes hungry around here.

For Italian, I recommend Polcari's, for steak, either Jimmy's steerhouse or the Hilltop, and for Chinese, the Kowloon is pretty good.

Drat!!! I'm saddened that Prince Grotto is gone. As I indicated earlier, if the announcement was made that the world would end in three hours, I'd rush up there for the veal marsala.

In any event, the list of restaurants that you've given here is a good one. Nobody should starve.

Just 4 days till Mission Drums... Finally get to see Statesmen... Looking forward to a great show.. Hurricanes, Caballeros, Statesmen, Crusadors and lot's more.. Bring a friend....