Troopers top Scouts

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Madison should just fold.. They have been around far too long and why should DCI fans care if there is one less corps at every show. Right?

My god, I hope this was intended to be read in a sarcastic tone!

Madison has given their fans such fantastic shows for so many decades that if they have a show which isn't up to par everyone freaks out. What is the deal people?

There are worse shows than this one every year, and there will be again. You can't expect Madison to do exactly what YOU think they should do every single year.

If they don't make finals this year - so what, the staff will learn from their mistakes.

Personally, I actually like the corps uniforms this year, and I LOVE the guard uni's.

I think the music kicks ###, and yes they have a LOT of cleaning to do, and yes I agree that the show is not conveying the theme very well, but the show isn't THAT bad, jeesh.

Maybe next year they will fill half the field with tables that fall down during the performance - would that make you happy? Ok, that isn't very nice to say, but that's NOT what Madison does.

Different corps for different folks...

Oh, and one more thing...

GO TROOPERS!!!

Maybe next year they will fill half the field with tables that fall down during the performance - would that make you happy? Ok, that isn't very nice to say, but that's NOT what Madison does.

No need to slam a fellow Wisconsin corps...they might just start the old sports chant about the scoreboard.

You say the tables are NOT Madison. What in this year's show IS Madison? If this show was being performed by another corps do you really think people would be saying "that's a Madison kind of show."

I don't think you would.

I'm not slamming them - "different corps for different folks". I know that some people really like the tables all over the field, and they really were falling down in Mankato, revealing the costume shift going on behind them.

Some people like the synthesizers, voice-overs, and some people even want woodwinds and pyrotechnics in D&B corps - to each his own, variety is the spice of life, etc...

I'm not saying that Madison has a superior approach, just different from other corps. Isn't that a good thing?

The Latin music this year feels Madison, and the theme is based on a Latin superhero. Madison has become known for Latin jazz. Also, the show isn't gimmicky, which we would also expect from Madison.

I always say, just sit back and enjoy the performances. Sometimes it's difficult though, when there are distractions such as prop failures. The more stuff you drag onto the field, the more that can go wrong.

Since their last finals appearance in 1986 (11th), the Troopers have finished 17, 19, 18, 17, 21, 19, 19, 14, 14, 25, 24, 21, 19, 19, 21, 22, 23, 22, 20 and 16. The 25th place in 97 was behind 9 Div II/III corps.

The last time they were this close to finals was 94/95. After the inactive year of 2006, it is totally understandable why there is so much enthusiasm and support from FMM of Troopers and many, many long time Troopers fans.

Last year after semis, I wore a Scouts shirt to participate in my own little homage to their finals qualification. My Troopers shirt is clean, folded and ready for wear on the Saturday of finals. Whether I wear it or not (I'll probably wear it to the quarterfinals CineCast anyway!) is yet to be determined.

The fact is that only 12 corps make it to Saturday, but that doesn't mean they haven't had a successful season. That's really based on each corps' first show and how well they improved over the course of the season. In the Troopers case, like Scouts last year, the enthusiasm is increased due to their history the last 23 years, but especially the last 4.

Having participated in bringing a corps back from inactivity to their first time finals appearance, I appreciate everything the staff and members of the Troopers have accomplished maybe a little more than the average fan, but I'm sure it pales in comparison to the Troopers' family themselves.

All that said, I wish the best to every corps for a safe summer, a successful summer (however they measure it), and lets stand behind all of them.

Garry in Vegas

Having participated in bringing a corps back from inactivity to their first time finals appearance,

That's awesome - which corps?

That's awesome - which corps?

VK was inactive in 1980. Their best DCI placing up until then was 24th in 77. 1984 was their first finals appearance ever. It was an exciting night in Hotlanta!

While I haven't been active in their rebirth the last couple of years, you can be sure I would be if I didn;t live a couple hundred miles away!

Garry in Vegas

Watching the VOD from Denver again, I think people are really giving Madison short shrift. Here's what I see (and hear).

1. Madison MOVES for their entire show. Troopers have a lot of park and blow, example - their entire low brass during One Hand.

2. Every tempo Madison has is 10-20 bpm faster than Troopers.

3. Madison uses the entire field. This leads to some staging issues that affect the brass impacts, but that will resolve as they get better. Troopers spend a lot of time between the 30s. Helps their brass, but not great for Vis GE.

4. Almost every set for Madison is a blind set. It's up to each individual to hit their dot. Not happening right now. Troopers have a lot of follow-the-leader.

5. Troopers have a lot of nice musical moments and are better in control of their show right now. Horns have some questionable moments even during easier passages. Mid-voices in particular.

6. Madison has a lot more musical demand - multiple tonguing sections, upper register work, etc - just a more complex musical book in general. Coupled with the drill demand, this is hurting their impacts. Mellos in opener :thumbdown:

7. Troopers generally play in a lower register and in darker keys. Makes their brass sound a bit fuller. Trumpets have some high passages that were surprisingly good. I love it when corps take risks like that. But they were standing still during those passages. Madison is playing in higher/brighter keys for the entire show. The low brass is there, they are just playing in a higher register.

8. I heard many more individuals sticking out of Troopers brass line than Madisons.

Overall impression: Troopers have an automatic crowd-pleaser with the WSS material. They also have some really sweet musical moments. The dark uni's hide a ton of visual dirt. But, Madison has the more difficult show, by far, and they will have to work harder to sell the unfamiliar material. Once they start to master it, and the guard starts selling the character, it will start to pop. Troopers also have a lot of cleaning to do, but I do not see them beating Madison down the stretch.

Arc burst?

I still think they're going to add it in at the ending. The drill's set up to go into it if they decide, but we won't know until they have their three days off from performing after San Antonio.

I'm hoping they add it Finals night!