Bluecoats

Figured I might as well throw my $.02 in. Heeeeere we go....

Had my first digital viewing of the show today, having heard the audio quite a few times.

I have to say that I think the brass arranging is the real strength of this show. Doug Thrower really took some good source music, some of which has been heard before on the field, and created a cohesive package that definitely has its catchy moments. Drumline arranging is even better than I thought it would be with the departure of Mac, which was a really, really pleasant surprise. Some nice battery features throughout, and Tom Rarick's pit arranging is always spot-on.

With that said, the visual design is... not it. Seriously. Haven't we all seen the Cavaliers from 00-04??? 06??? What about Vanguard in 03, 06-08??? How this passes for visual design of a corps that wants a ring eventually is beyond me. Not that it's a massive on-field abortion. It's solid top 12 drill.

I'm just dying for a Bluecoats designer to watch Niagra Falls or Four Corners and just go, "OH! I GET IT! Let's do drill that's entertaining and effective throughout the whole #### show!!!"

As far as the concept goes, I don't know whether I'm sold. Surrealism can always be good, but I think BD pretty much nailed that last year. Where's more "Imagine" quoting throughout the horn/pit book? I feel like it's 05 again and I'm just dying for that freaking Caravan park n' blow that never came. It just feels like the theme isn't done quite enough to bring it across effectively. Why not just say eff it and just call the show "Good Music with Drill?"

With all that said, this show is dirtier than a Tijuana hooker, and I can't wait to see it get cleaned (without watering, I hope). It looks like they've got an amazingly talented corps, and if the staff plays their cards right, they should be knocking on just about anyone's door. 2009 might be a little out there by Bluecoats standards, but it's definitely a very worthwhile product in my book. :thumbdown:

/end rant

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you aren't understanding the concept of the show then maybe you aren't trying to use your "Imagination"!

As far as the comments that the show isn't creative, I don't see how using the ideas of Renee Magritte are not creative.

Well silver king, I coulndt exactly figure it out either, ill ask my friend (a big bluecoat nut) Anyways, I only saw it once and I liked it, they are alot louder this year, none of that speaking stuff they do :thumbdown: The flugelhorns also added a neat sound in their show, I think they'll move up in place this year though.

Figured I might as well throw my $.02 in. Heeeeere we go....

Had my first digital viewing of the show today, having heard the audio quite a few times.

I have to say that I think the brass arranging is the real strength of this show. Doug Thrower really took some good source music, some of which has been heard before on the field, and created a cohesive package that definitely has its catchy moments. Drumline arranging is even better than I thought it would be with the departure of Mac, which was a really, really pleasant surprise. Some nice battery features throughout, and Tom Rarick's pit arranging is always spot-on.

With that said, the visual design is... not it. Seriously. Haven't we all seen the Cavaliers from 00-04??? 06??? What about Vanguard in 03, 06-08??? How this passes for visual design of a corps that wants a ring eventually is beyond me. Not that it's a massive on-field abortion. It's solid top 12 drill.

I'm just dying for a Bluecoats designer to watch Niagra Falls or Four Corners and just go, "OH! I GET IT! Let's do drill that's entertaining and effective throughout the whole #### show!!!"

As far as the concept goes, I don't know whether I'm sold. Surrealism can always be good, but I think BD pretty much nailed that last year. Where's more "Imagine" quoting throughout the horn/pit book? I feel like it's 05 again and I'm just dying for that freaking Caravan park n' blow that never came. It just feels like the theme isn't done quite enough to bring it across effectively. Why not just say eff it and just call the show "Good Music with Drill?"

With all that said, this show is dirtier than a Tijuana hooker, and I can't wait to see it get cleaned (without watering, I hope). It looks like they've got an amazingly talented corps, and if the staff plays their cards right, they should be knocking on just about anyone's door. 2009 might be a little out there by Bluecoats standards, but it's definitely a very worthwhile product in my book. :huh:

/end rant

:thumbdown::worthy::huh: :huh: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Well Said!

I am very puzzled by the Bluecoats this year... I like the brass, guard, and drums but feel like they're very very dry... I know I might get flamed for this, but I think the opener musically was a terrible choice. I see and hear it and think Blue Devils... Might be a great comparison except I hear BD '96 not Bluecoats '09... The music has been done and they do nothing unique with it... The show drags and the drill is pedestrian at best... Play, move stop, play move stop, repeat...

Wes P

BK '97 '98

I'm all for your honest opinions of the show, and I agree on some of them, but there's one point I can't get behind.

SCV is using music that's been done before ...

Troopers are using music that's been done before ...

CCrown is using music that's been done before ...

Cadets ...

Blue Devils ...

Boston ...

Madison ...

You're saying they can't play something someone played 13 YEARS AGO?? Come on. It's not like they're playing something from "Spartacus". There are performers in the Bluecoats who were only 4-5 years old when BD played that.

If no one can ever play something that someone played before, there wouldn't be enough good music for the drum corps field to go around.

And from what I watched and heard, the Bluecoats are WAY dirty -- WAY dirtier than SCV and only a little bit behind them. Haven't seen anyone else to know, but between those two alone, Bluecoats have a lot more growth potential -- whether they will or not is the question. Bluecoats are dirty and maybe a little fragmented (and I don't like the lack of color) but fun and exciting nonetheless; and SCV is beautiful and clean and flows so well, but a little boring and possibly stagnant soon.

Like someone else said, we'll all see soon enough.

As for the original question -- the title is simply "Imagine" ... what's not to get? Sure, go back to their original winter discussion about it being "unique to drum corps" and I don't get it, but who cares?

DCI should impose a rule that says "No Show Titles in 2010" and just make corps play music and march ... maybe make it a contest ... give each show crowd a card with corps names and show titles and see who can match the most correctly.

So many of us lament the lack of just good, fun, entertaining shows out there ... "show titles" have done a lot to that end -- everyone has to try to understand or "get" a show. Just enjoy it -- it's drum corps, man!!!

If you aren't understanding the concept of the show then maybe you aren't trying to use your "Imagination"!

As far as the comments that the show isn't creative, I don't see how using the ideas of Renee Magritte are not creative.

That my point.....just what exactly are the ideas of Magritte? How does the Coates deliver this on the field? the show design this year requires that the fans/judges have knowledge of Magritte's artistic style and Lennon's lyrics if not then its just cool music and surreal images. I should not have to take a crash course in art 101 to understand the program. I have seen Margritte's work before but without knowledge of who the artist is and history. I wonder what their show narrative says...does it talk about Lennon's lyrics and artist Renee Magritte? There is no clarity of concept in the program. or maybe we are victims of design snobbery.... :thumbdown:

The Bluecoats are supposed to be playing Imagine by Lennon. I've listened and can't find strains of it anywhere in the show. Anyone else find it? Maybe it is hacked to death and I just don't recognize it.

PS: Love Blu this year!

The Bluecoats are supposed to be playing Imagine by Lennon. I've listened and can't find strains of it anywhere in the show. Anyone else find it? Maybe it is hacked to death and I just don't recognize it.

PS: Love Blu this year!

its there..as a background intro when the announcer intros the corps...the pit plays it. It may not be heard in the telecasts. But I was up front in the CA shows..

I'm all for your honest opinions of the show, and I agree on some of them, but there's one point I can't get behind.

Cadets ...

Blue Devils ...

Boston ...

Madison ...

You're saying they can't play something someone played 13 YEARS AGO?? Come on. It's not like they're playing something from "Spartacus". There are performers in the Bluecoats who were only 4-5 years old when BD played that.

If no one can ever play something that someone played before, there wouldn't be enough good music for the drum corps field to go around.

And from what I watched and heard, the Bluecoats are WAY dirty -- WAY dirtier than SCV and only a little bit behind them. Haven't seen anyone else to know, but between those two alone, Bluecoats have a lot more growth potential -- whether they will or not is the question. Bluecoats are dirty and maybe a little fragmented (and I don't like the lack of color) but fun and exciting nonetheless; and SCV is beautiful and clean and flows so well, but a little boring and possibly stagnant soon.

As for the original question -- the title is simply "Imagine" ... what's not to get? Sure, go back to their original winter discussion about it being "unique to drum corps" and I don't get it, but who cares?

DCI should impose a rule that says "No Show Titles in 2010" and just make corps play music and march ... maybe make it a contest ... give each show crowd a card with corps names and show titles and see who can match the most correctly.

So many of us lament the lack of just good, fun, entertaining shows out there ... "show titles" have done a lot to that end -- everyone has to try to understand or "get" a show. Just enjoy it -- it's drum corps, man!!!

Question...would they have picked the Mingus Piece if it did not have the word "dream in it?" Surely there are other unusual melodic lines that could have supported their concept...BTW Mingus was imaginative composer! maybe it is as simple as that...

Cadets ...

Blue Devils ...

Boston ...

Madison ...

I always enjoy a good conversation, and you make some good points. We may not agree totally but I understand what you're saying... To counter though, I would say this: SCV is doing a classic in The Rite of Spring and it's a bit of a throw back, Cadets are known for WSS, Troopers are making it their own with the intertwining of Billy the Kid, Crown is using music that is classic drum corps lit as well and they are doing it in an inventive way... With that being said, '96 is the recent past.... 13 years is too small of a time frame to play something that helped the Blue Devils win a World Title... Maybe it's just me but being in and around that era and participating the two years after, I cannot hear that Opener and think anything other than BD. It's also that in a show about "Imagine," the arrangement is not very imaginitive... As to enjoying it for drum corps sake, sure I will. I love their sound and have for some time, But, you're talking to a die hard fan of another Blue corps whose corps has taken a lot of flack over the years for showing a theme that's not easy to understand... All the while I say the same comment to all and of course people disagreed... You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink... I will enjoy the performers and the hard work and effort they have put in, but I don't think this show will be a favorite in the end...

Wes P

BK '97 '98