Bluecoats

See, there you go again. A minute ago, you indicated that "When it comes to the top three they seem to like the craft of subtlety rather than the creative obvious."

So, once again, if you know that the 2009 Bluecoats program is entitled Imagine and that that the visual program is based loosely around the surrealistic work of Renee Magritte, then you have an idea that that program might have something to do with dreaming or imagination. But don't take my word for it. Wikipedia has a small article on Magritte that might point you in the right direction.

Renee Magritte on Wikipedia

Additionally, if you know the lyrics to "Imagine," then you would certainly understand how this fits into the surrealistic setting. Lennon himself was very much into surrealism and indicated as much by saying: "Surrealism had a great effect on me because then I realised that the imagery in my mind wasn't insanity. Surrealism to me is reality."

So, what is it that you are seeking? If you are looking for subtlety, there is a ton of it loaded into the Bluecoats' program this year. Perhaps the subtleties within the program require an aesthetic understanding and an artistic vocabulary through which to connect them; then again, I am sure you know all of this.

To not like something is one thing; to not understand it is another.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know what the show is about besides being inspired by some painter.

Love the show either way. Mingus FTW

Elmo! you explained it well..maybe if they cleaned it up they can win DCI this year. In your opinion is it top three? if so what can they do to get there?

This thread seems like a lot of concern about a theme. That seems like primarily a visual issue which has already been their challenge even with their rise to the top. I would be more concerned that their brass is not scoring at the elite level that it has in recent years. They have gotten away with questionable visuals but they could always count on that brass score bumping them up. I'm sure the brass staff is not questioning how they are going to get the Image theme across better at the next show.

Edited by OICMR corps

The judges can like subtlety in concepts (Cadets 2005, Blue Devils 2007, Phantom 2006).... but I really don't think shows like Blue Devils 2006, Cavaliers 2006, Cavaliers 2008, or Phantom 2008 were that subtle at all. Those were all pretty straight forward including on field murders, robots, and dead fish/horse head flags. Sometimes being blatantly obvious gets your point across better..... of course, I'm not sure what point the Bluecoats are trying to get across, but I love their show anyway.

Your right..it boils down to the execution and the judges favorable/unfavorable opinion of the sophistication and clarity of the concept abstract or not. It appears that Blue Coats are having problems with show concept. Elmo explained the show well however they are not exactly cleaning the top 5 house in all captions.

This thread seems like a lot of concern about a theme. That seems like primarily a visual issue which has already been their challenge even with their rise to the top. I would be more concerned that their brass is not scoring at the elite level that it has in recent years. They have gotten away with questionable visuals but they could always count on that brass score bumping them up. I'm sure the brass staff is not questioning how they are going to get the Image theme across better at the next show.

They have an excellent brass line. "imagine" if BD Brass Staff had them.

This thread seems like a lot of concern about a theme.

well at the beginning of the season people kept saying i dont get the show to certain shows but ehy were all corps on the east coast or on demand and bluecoats were never brought up/ i didnt see this show until today thats why i asked.

It's DRUM CORPS...just go along for the ride. Great drummin', Great brassin', Great marchin' and Great guardin' !!!

Do shows really have to be any more than that?

agreed if it was exhibition...I guess i have too much of that competitive blood in me. But thanks for the gut check! :) :thumbdown:

agreed if it was exhibition...I guess i have too much of that competitive blood in me. But thanks for the gut check! :) :thumbdown:

Agreed... I just think that this show doesn't allow for much creativity and to me the good brass, guard and drums are being lost. It doesn't even have that much to do with the title for me, the show itself is not very creative and the music is rehashed... I expect more from a corps that has consistently been a top tier competitor. This is a step back for them imho...

WP