Bluecoats

I love the reactions "I don't get it, so it must really suck."

Bluecoats have, yet again, designed a show that is incredibly detailed in their concept while also playing music that those who don't wish to "think" during a drum corps show can appreciate.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine it is not an easy process to get permission from Yoko to use John Lennon songs. Since the Bluecoats went to all the trouble of securing the rights, do people who have seen or heard the music think all we are going to hear is that few seconds of "Imagine" at the beginning of the show. How the show ends right now does not sound like an ending to me. If I were a betting man...

I always enjoy a good conversation, and you make some good points. We may not agree totally but I understand what you're saying... To counter though, I would say this: SCV is doing a classic in The Rite of Spring and it's a bit of a throw back, Cadets are known for WSS, Troopers are making it their own with the intertwining of Billy the Kid, Crown is using music that is classic drum corps lit as well and they are doing it in an inventive way... With that being said, '96 is the recent past.... 13 years is too small of a time frame to play something that helped the Blue Devils win a World Title... Maybe it's just me but being in and around that era and participating the two years after, I cannot hear that Opener and think anything other than BD. It's also that in a show about "Imagine," the arrangement is not very imaginitive... As to enjoying it for drum corps sake, sure I will. I love their sound and have for some time, But, you're talking to a die hard fan of another Blue corps whose corps has taken a lot of flack over the years for showing a theme that's not easy to understand... All the while I say the same comment to all and of course people disagreed... You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink... I will enjoy the performers and the hard work and effort they have put in, but I don't think this show will be a favorite in the end...

Wes P

BK '97 '98

I too enjoy conversation. So here's a thought. In 07 there were two corps (Phantom and Blue Stars) using the same piece of music in their show in the same year. That wasn't a problem...but Bluecoats using a piece that was used 13 years ago is? The major difference I hear between BD and Bluecoats is that the theme is primarily carried by the hornline at BD- whereas in the Bluecoats opener- it is all about the PIT...just my opinion

Personally I think Bluecoats have a really cool show this year. I think they knew before they headed out to tour that some people wouldn't 'get' the show but chose to do something that they thought would be really cool. As for performance quality- I think that by the end of the summer their Percussion section (battery and pit) will be competing for a set of those Yamaha jackets.

BLUUUUUUUU

I too enjoy conversation. So here's a thought. In 07 there were two corps (Phantom and Blue Stars) using the same piece of music in their show in the same year. That wasn't a problem...but Bluecoats using a piece that was used 13 years ago is? The major difference I hear between BD and Bluecoats is that the theme is primarily carried by the hornline at BD- whereas in the Bluecoats opener- it is all about the PIT...just my opinion

Personally I think Bluecoats have a really cool show this year. I think they knew before they headed out to tour that some people wouldn't 'get' the show but chose to do something that they thought would be really cool. As for performance quality- I think that by the end of the summer their Percussion section (battery and pit) will be competing for a set of those Yamaha jackets.

BLUUUUUUUU

Fair enough, good points all... But, don't you think with the level of talent that if they could take home the precussion title and challenge for the brass title, they shouldn't also have a program to compete for the DCI Title? I guess that's what I am getting at, sure there are differences in the arrangements from BD, but it's really nothing new or fresh... They have a good show this year, but not a great one... If they knew that people wouldn't get the show going out on tour wouldn't that tell you it's not very accessable? People will still like the Bluecoats this year and I will for the same reason, they've got Great Talent, but their vehicle is clearly not at the top tier level. I feel that about SCV this year too... AMAZING BRASS!!! But the visual program is very straight laced and not overly difficult... I just think that with the talent that both of those corps have they could be giving much much more in their programming... Just my thoughts...

WP

I am very puzzled by the Bluecoats this year... I like the brass, guard, and drums but feel like they're very very dry... I know I might get flamed for this, but I think the opener musically was a terrible choice. I see and hear it and think Blue Devils... Might be a great comparison except I hear BD '96 not Bluecoats '09... The music has been done and they do nothing unique with it... The show drags and the drill is pedestrian at best... Play, move stop, play move stop, repeat... I am not a Bluecoats hater, go back and look at my posts I have become a big Bluecoat fan since '02 when they started opening my eyes with that killer hornline. But this year? I feel that they have the most to be worried about in the top tier... I see them as pretty darn clean and the corps under them not... I feel in the end B Stars, B Knights and Boston will be battling for 7th with Bluecoats or come finals time... Could be wrong, and I also see their talent as top 4 or 5, but... hmm..

Wes P

BK '97 '98

I can't remember making it all the way through a blue knights show... ever?

I always enjoy a good conversation, and you make some good points. We may not agree totally but I understand what you're saying... To counter though, I would say this: SCV is doing a classic in The Rite of Spring and it's a bit of a throw back, Cadets are known for WSS, Troopers are making it their own with the intertwining of Billy the Kid, Crown is using music that is classic drum corps lit as well and they are doing it in an inventive way... With that being said, '96 is the recent past.... 13 years is too small of a time frame to play something that helped the Blue Devils win a World Title... Maybe it's just me but being in and around that era and participating the two years after, I cannot hear that Opener and think anything other than BD. It's also that in a show about "Imagine," the arrangement is not very imaginitive... As to enjoying it for drum corps sake, sure I will. I love their sound and have for some time, But, you're talking to a die hard fan of another Blue corps whose corps has taken a lot of flack over the years for showing a theme that's not easy to understand... All the while I say the same comment to all and of course people disagreed... You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink... I will enjoy the performers and the hard work and effort they have put in, but I don't think this show will be a favorite in the end...

Wes P

BK '97 '98

You are right. The Rite of Spring IS a classic. So is Appalachian Spring, which is in the SCV show this year. Not sure how one can confuse Copland with a Stravinsky "Ballets Russes" composition.

Fair enough, good points all... But, don't you think with the level of talent that if they could take home the precussion title and challenge for the brass title, they shouldn't also have a program to compete for the DCI Title? I guess that's what I am getting at, sure there are differences in the arrangements from BD, but it's really nothing new or fresh... They have a good show this year, but not a great one... If they knew that people wouldn't get the show going out on tour wouldn't that tell you it's not very accessable? People will still like the Bluecoats this year and I will for the same reason, they've got Great Talent, but their vehicle is clearly not at the top tier level. I feel that about SCV this year too... AMAZING BRASS!!! But the visual program is very straight laced and not overly difficult... I just think that with the talent that both of those corps have they could be giving much much more in their programming... Just my thoughts...

WP

Agreed on all points (about both corps). It is always disappointing for me to see corps with great talent not place up to their potential because of show design. I guess that is just a part of the competition I will have to get used to.