Blue Devils show

Not a fan of BD, Cuban just made claims of being able to march BD's show in 9th grade, and other claims that required a decent amount of credibility. I would hope I'm not a fan of BD, or the Cadets'll kill me. Might wanna look at my profile, or even my signature, before you make claims like that. Just something to think about.

Hey acolli17, this Phantom1701 is yet another angry troll who can't explain himself/herself. Just a way to vent and stand outside of the fence and yell obscenities. It's really kind of sad. I suggested in another thread to change his/her name as the magnificent Phantom family would not appreciate his association with them.

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey acolli17, this Phantom1701 is yet another angry troll who can't explain himself/herself. Just a way to vent and stand outside of the fence and yell obscenities. It's really kind of sad. I suggested in another thread to change his/her name as the magnificent Phantom family would not appreciate his association with them.

Yeah, I saw you say that, I just think I'm in a confrontational mood this morning. This could also be the last morning I can get on here for about a week, so I think I'm compensating for it. :blink:

Yeah, I saw you say that, I just think I'm in a confrontational mood this morning. This could also be the last morning I can get on here for about a week, so I think I'm compensating for it. :blink:

Cool! :tongue: Always appreciate your thoughtful and well put comments (even though we don't always agree! :shutup: ). Hurry back! :ph34r:

Cool! :shutup: Always appreciate your thoughtful and well put comments (even though we don't always agree! :blink: ). Hurry back! :tongue:

I will. And hopefully I can find a place with internet connection in the podunk town I'm going to, not only to watch San Antonio, but also to get on here and see what everyone is thinking.

Yeah, you have to be careful. All of the BD fans on DCP require hard, written and visual evidence before you can make any kind of statement with regard to their beloved corps.

Yeah, God forbid we require evidence to back up your claims. I really should go criticize all my elementary school teachers who taught me to back up my arguments with specific examples. What a terrible persuasive technique.

Dear Close Friends with Many of the Top 12 Brass Caption Heads (is this like Friends of DCI or something?),

The brass caption isn't always won by those who are playing the cleanest... there is a lot more to it than that.

There are many cases in which even fundamentally different approaches are equally rewarded. Illustrating this point using a familiar example, is the tie in the brass caption between Blue Devils and Star in 1993. I don't think it could be possible to demonstrate two more radically different approaches and emphasis that arrive at the same quality of result.

There were loads of other lines out there that were much, much cleaner than Blue Devils' that year, but really none were even close in terms of the level of individual musicianship of that line. Likewise, there were many lines out there that had much better individual players out there than Star, but their ensemble playing was otherworldly (... especially considering they were on a set 2 valve horns that had been through 9 seasons... crazy).

Both books had an insane amount of difficulty, but were difficult in very different ways.

Was it only because of difficulty? No. What is because they were clean? Cadets and Phantom played cleaner than Blue Devils that year.

It is simply about overall achievement in the caption.

Anyway, it takes a lot more than just incredible brass lines to win (if that's all it took, instead of in 5th, Blue Devils would have won in 1991 with a score of 107.3).

Back to the whole point of this thread... a perception of the Blue Devils are not challenging their members.

Blue Devils went through a lot of changes between 1988 and 1994... a period in which it could be argued that there was an emphasis on some captions over others... to where they finally arrived at a formula that is extremely balanced across ALL captions. They seem to have really perfected this, becoming, indisputably. the most consistent organization in the activity.

It just seems a rather absurd to argue that an organization that has demonstrated, year on year, such a high level of achievement across ALL captions, cannot be challenging their members. It could even be argued that in an organization has been in the Top 3 27 times in the last 33 years, the pressure placed on performers to maintain this is pretty intense.

It should also be noted that part of what allows the group to be so consistent on the field is not only the level of instruction or talent (there are other groups out there with as great staff and as just much talent these days, but are less consistent), but the fact that the organization is so well run that kids don't have to worry about anything other than their responsibilities on the field. The influence this complete lack of distraction from other issues has on the educators ability to focus only on performance-related issues and the kid's ability to focus on show related issue cannot be understated.

Anyway, back to the discussion that the Blue Devils would be a much better drum corps if they did more pin wheelie things.

Carry on.

Wait... I didnt say that. So please take that quote off because I for sure did not say that lol. Im not friends with any brass captiobn heads or anything

Wait... I didnt say that. So please take that quote off because I for sure did not say that lol. Im not friends with any brass captiobn heads or anything

CORRECTION

Earlier in the Forum, I replied to someone who replied to me. I incorrectly replied to their quote, therefore, it looks like I wrote it. However I didn't. It was my fault for not replying to the quote the right way. I messed up somehow. Long story short, the brass caption head remark was not written by me, I just replied to the person who said that.

Edited by MariaCrown2010

Look, the OP in this thread is right. Compared to the top 4, BD's is the easiest.

That doesn't mean it's EASY, or that it can't WIN by having great performance, but it's tough to like a show that is not as difficult as its peers. There is a clear distinction between "easiest among the top 4" and "easy".

I think that's more what the OP is getting at here - of course it's tough and it's near the top of Div. 1 and all, but compared to the other top corps it'd be nice to see something more visually demanding.