Indianapolis

As expected, Matt is handling this one pretty well.

My random scatterings.

Love the Rock Bottom, but with the way it loads up shoulder-to-shoulder with drum corps folk during BOA weekends (and trust me, they definitely know about downstairs), I expect to stay away.

The Palomino is good yet pricey. Has drum corps connections in mgmt. So that's a good thing.

I'm more comfortable in taverns, real pubs and dives. So The Slippery Noodle is more my style.

If you go to Broadripple, hit up the Brugge Brasserie. Fantastic Belgian beers, brewed here in Terre Haute. Also nod in agreement to Bazbeaux.

If you are with a family, and want good food with a nice price and comfortable eating, The Spaghetti Factory. When we hit the town with big family groups (like last week with the in-laws for the zoo - party of 15. 5 under the age of 5), it always works out well there.

Oh, and I would expect I will hit Champions Sports Bar at some point. Probably be some good fellowship there, in spirit of Jon. Not that I have heard anything. Just a hunch.

Edited by mingusmonk

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, looks like the only activities are surrounded by bars.

What are you looking for? Large family? Dining? Sights? There's plenty more. Just let us know what you're into.

So far, looks like the only activities are surrounded by bars.

I'd invite you to actually read the thread. So far there have been recommendations for:

• shopping in Broad Ripple
  • hiking in Turkey Run
  • sightseeing & shopping in Brown County
  • wine tasting at Oliver Winery
  • Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Museum
  • Indianapolis Zoo
  • Indiana State Museum
  • Eiteljorg Museum of Native American Art
  • NCAA Hall of Champions

Plenty to do in Indiana.

I forget the name of the place we are staying at...I'll let you know when I remember. We will have two old folks (low 50s) and two young guys...both 22...so we'll need a variety of things...some active and some a little more mellow. My wife and I are ok doing some walking/sightseeing/shopping, etc, but we've also done some more active stuff. Last year we rented a speed boat...and let the two guys drive it...so we're open to pretty much anything. And we will have our car, so close to Indianapolis is also an option. As for eateries....it would be nice to stay away from chains that we can go to back here in PA...places specific to the area would be nice...also...the guys like to go put at night after Mom and Dad go to bed...so some good bars near the stadium would be nice also.

We're staying at the Omni Severin...

Thanks!

Gary, you'll love the Omni Severin! Such a nice hotel, indoor pool,decent fitness room, attached to center circle mall, and a stone throw from the stadium. The Omni-Severin has become the hotel of choice for the Penn State Lady lions basketball team for the Big Ten basketball tourney (held annually in Indy). There are numerous local establishments in walking distance from where you'll be staying. The Spagetti Factory (a Blue Band favorite), there is an Italian family style restaurant a few blocks from the hotel (don't remember the name), St Elmo's steakhouse, and a few others I can't recal right now. Bars, The Slippery Noodle has become a favorite for B10 bandos. They def have been the most tolerable of 'in good fun' shenanigans .

I'll check with my fellow B10 bandos on more places. Def update this post, and let you know.

... there is an Italian family style restaurant a few blocks from the hotel (don't remember the name)...

Could that be Buca di Beppo? It's in the area.

rock bottom's food is NOT GOOD. i don't know who perpetuates the myth that it is anything but sub-par bar food.

on the other hand, st. elmo serves one of the great steaks in america, and that's for real, coming from a new yorker who lives and breathes peter luger.

there's a good sushi place on the same street as ram... very stylish as i recall.

rock bottom's food is NOT GOOD. i don't know who perpetuates the myth that it is anything but sub-par bar food.

I don't think it's very good either, though I'd probably call it above average bar food. I've had sub-par bar food, and Rock Bottom certainly isn't that. :thumbup:

I second that. They closed the one in Denver and my wife and I have really missed it.

on the other hand, st. elmo serves one of the great steaks in america, and that's for real, coming from a new yorker who lives and breathes peter luger.

there's a good sushi place on the same street as ram... very stylish as i recall.

Yeah. Rock Bottom is about the hang. Occasionally good beer.

As far as sushi, I'm not a big fan. But the best place in town is located closer to Matt's neighborhood and is not that fancy. Japanese/American ... Ocean World. Again, not my cup of tea, but I have eaten there. And when I worked in Indy, sushi lovers rated it the best. Now I work at a Japanese-owned company outside of Indy, and the Japanese folks agree. Although they ultimately prefer to get their Japanese cuisine in Terre Haute. :thumbup: I know, right? Go figure.

Edited by mingusmonk