Indianapolis

http://www.harryandizzys.com/

I love Harry and Izzy's. It has an old school masculine feel. Go to the site and read their history. This place is owned by the world famous St. Elmo's Steakhouse (and Peyton Manning has a stake in it as well) that is down the street.

St. Elmo's http://www.stelmos.com/ cocktail sauce was recently rated the hottest (or spiciest?) food in the world. Rock stars and athletes usually hit it when in town and I have heard that Mick Jagger had it overnighted to his house for parties. You can get the St. Elmo's shrimp cocktail at Harry and Izzy's as well. It is definitely worth the shock to your sinuses.

There are a number of bars on S. Meridan that attract the 20 something crowd. Here is one to get you started. http://www.cafeindy.com/

5 miles west of downtown in the town of Speedway you can visit the massive Indy 500 track and museum. The museum is open every day but Christmas 9-5. You can get on a bus and take a lap around the track to really get an idea of how huge the oval is and to see how banked the walls are. There are many cars at the museum so you can see how much they've changed since the beginning.

http://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/c..._Fame_Museum/32

Edited by anniem

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forget the name of the place we are staying at...I'll let you know when I remember. We will have two old folks (low 50s) and two young guys...both 22...so we'll need a variety of things...some active and some a little more mellow. My wife and I are ok doing some walking/sightseeing/shopping, etc, but we've also done some more active stuff. Last year we rented a speed boat...and let the two guys drive it...so we're open to pretty much anything. And we will have our car, so close to Indianapolis is also an option. As for eateries....it would be nice to stay away from chains that we can go to back here in PA...places specific to the area would be nice...also...the guys like to go put at night after Mom and Dad go to bed...so some good bars near the stadium would be nice also.

We're staying at the Omni Severin...

Thanks!

With a car, I think you'd both enjoy Broad Ripple. Go during the day, and enjoy the unique shops. The guys might enjoy going at night, as it's definitely the hottest place for nightlife for guys their age. Of course, if you've got the time I like Bloomington even better. Broad Ripple is a slice of the college town atmosphere, while Bloomington is pure college town all the way through. Go to Oliver Winery for some wine and snacks outside by the lake (oh, and pass by Star's old practice fields on the way). Brown County is a gorgeous place as well, and Nashville's a picturesque little town that thrives on tourism. If you've got the time you might enjoy Turkey Run, as well. It's a park in Terre Haute, due west of Indy, with plenty of great trails for hiking. If the water's high enough, you can even go canoeing.

As for downtown, it'd be nice to have a unique restaurant to recommend but those are far between; we've mostly got chains. St. Elmo's is a very nice steak place, famous for their shrimp cocktails. It's probably the most famous name for a unique Indianapolis place. If you're staying at the Hyatt, might as well try Eagle's Nest. I've never been myself, and I hear the food isn't really anything special, but it's on the top of the hotel, giving you a great view of the city, and even rotating slowly around. Yats is a great place that I would recommend. It's got a couple locations but it's local to Indianapolis. You can find it on Mass Ave. Also on Mass Ave is Bazbeaux Pizza, local to central Indiana. I've heard the pizza is pretty tasty. For German food, try the Rathskeller just up the road. I confess I usually go just to drink at the Beer Garden out back, but this is definitely an Indianapolis institution.

A couple places I would recommend that aren't unique to Indianapolis, but aren't common, would be Rock Bottom Brewery and The Ram. Both are on the same street, facing each other, and both have excellent beer brewed right on location. I'm partial to The Ram as I think the food there is better, but you won't go wrong with either. You can usually find plenty of drum corps people in each, as well, whenever DCI is in town.

Me, my friend and two brothers are staying at the Sheraton. We have been making a tradition to go to Fogo de Chao (brazilian steakhouse) and for after Finals: Steak and Shake!

Oh, and getting a growler from Rock Bottom and bringing it back to the hotel!

There's a Rock Bottom on the northwest side, on 86th street, and I want to take this opportunity to brag and say that my apartment is immediately behind it. If I have a few too many, I can just walk home. :thumbup:

rock bottom brewery has really good food. Been there with school the past 3 years

this is where Phantom Regiment will be having their alumni/Phan mixer during championship week.

posted on their FB page by an alumnus (i think):

Start making your plans to attend the alumni and friends of PR gathering in Indy the day of finals (August 8th)! We will be at the Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery beginning at noon - plan to have lunch and a few drinks with old friends! Find us at 10 West Washington Street in Indianapolis which is located about 4 blocks north and 2 blocks east of Lucas Oil Stadium.

oh by the way, do we need to make a "where are you staying" thread? or just use this as an all inclusive thread?

Edited by chaos001

this is where Phantom Regiment will be having their alumni/Phan mixer during championship week.

posted on their FB page by an alumni (i think):

oh by the way, do we need to make a "where are you staying" thread? or just use this as an all inclusive thread?

I am totally going to the Phan mixer! I did last year (by accident or happenstance) and we will be near there, so may as well stop in!

Also, I think we should have a separate "Where are you staying" thread, because that will probably get lost on this one. You want to start it?

There's a Rock Bottom on the northwest side, on 86th street, and I want to take this opportunity to brag and say that my apartment is immediately behind it. If I have a few too many, I can just walk home. :thumbup:

I live on 96th St. and meet my husband at that location for lunch often. Love their beer!

I am totally going to the Phan mixer! I did last year (by accident or happenstance) and we will be near there, so may as well stop in!

Also, I think we should have a separate "Where are you staying" thread, because that will probably get lost on this one. You want to start it?

sure, as long as matt says it's ok to do. you know how those mods like to merge related ideas. :thumbup: