Indianapolis

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Fogo de Chao is kind-of disgusting and if I were to go again, I’d do the option of salad bar only. It’s a really good salad bar. Here is the thing, almost all the meat is seasoned the same way, rock salt. So when you try the different types meats you are just trying the different cuts of meat so you start comparing the textures and the meat becomes really fleshy. Never was I so aware that I was chewing on different parts of a dead cow as I was at that place, it was really off putting. I’ve been to much better churrascia that featured different meats (chix, duck, lamb, fish thing) and different seasoning combination (and better salad bars) that avoided the issue of…this one is really chewy, this one not so much…must be muscle. To be fair, they did have a garlic sausage but I was already grossed out by the time that came around

Probably already mentioned, but...

Sharpiro's is a great deli that's within a stones throw of the stadium. It's a Kosher deli with an old fashioned cafeteria line. There's usually a really bossy lady keeping the line moving. I wonder if she was aver an instructor for a corps? This place has large portions. A Reuben easily feeds two. Shapiro's

If you're looking for something to do, the American Legion national office is located downtown (a few blocks from where I live). If you call in advance, they will give you a free walking tour of the facility. There's a small museum and some very interesting artifacts and displays throughout. Of course, the archive contains some interesting drum corps items, including one of Holy Name Cadets' national championship trophies, and I vaguely recall seeing an Argonauts drum trophy in the library. Price is free. American Legion National Office

A couple of blocks over is the Scottish Rites Cathedral. It costs a couple of bucks for the tour, but it's an incredible building. It has a performance theater that features incredibly ornate wood carvings. Lots of interesting history in the building. Scottish Rite Cathedral

If you're stuck with a spouse on the trip who is really into Victorian architecture and culture, you should visit the Riley House. It's in the Lockerbie neighborhood in downtown Indy (my neighborhood!) and offers tours Tuesday thru Saturday. Riley House

There's also a very interesting (and free) War Memorial that's a block away from the Legion and a couple of blocks away from the Scottish Rite Cathedral. Admission is free and it includes a small war museum. Indiana War Memorial

There is also a great canal that winds through the city. It has several interesting small memorials along its path that includes the USS Indianapolis memorial and a really interesting Congressional Medal of Honor memorial.

Mass Ave is also a cool place downtown with lots of artsy shops. There's a great eclectic pizza joint on Mass Ave called Bazbeux. Across the street is a semi-authentic Scottish pub called McNiven's that has lots of imported brews and Indy's only source of Haggis!

There's also a neat beirgarten called the Rathskeller. Authentic German cuisine and lots and lots of imported beer.

The Indiana State Museum is worth a looksee. It also sports one of several IMAX theaters in town. It's next door to the Eitlejorg, a great museum devoted to Native Americans and Western Art.

Victory Field is a great minor league ball park for the local Pittsburgh Pirates farm team.

Hey, you're going to love the city!

Edited by Scooter Pirtle

Drive back to Bloomington. Better selection for reasonably priced restaurants than downtown Indy within walking distance of Lucas Oil. (I'm not big on most chain restaurants and bars, though, which is why I prefer the really good family-run places in Bloomington, which of course has its share of chains, too. If you're happy in chain restaurants, there are lots within a few blocks of Lucas Oil. You won't have a problem finding a place to eat to the north.)

Heading just a few blocks away from the heart of downtown to Mass Ave. or a few miles away to Broad Ripple would yield the same results (non-chain eateries) without all of the drive time.

How about ribs? Can anyone recommend a good rib place.

Someone recommended Fat Jack's (i think) in Bloomington last year & that was good.

Anything closer?

thx

For ribs, you should try the Weber Grill just north of the Arts Garden on Illinois street. (Near circle center mall.)

Also, McCormick and Schmick's at Market street and Illinois is a great place for good seafood. For a quick and cheap option for lunch, try the City Market and there is a lot of selection.

For ribs, you should try the Weber Grill just north of the Arts Garden on Illinois street. (Near circle center mall.)

Also, McCormick and Schmick's at Market street and Illinois is a great place for good seafood. For a quick and cheap option for lunch, try the City Market and there is a lot of selection.

Don't forget Squealers!

:sad:

I went to a concert in Bloomington a few weeks back, and busted it out of town straight from work just so that I'd have enough time to eat at Mother Bear's!

St. Elmo's - old time steakhouse walking distance from the venue. I eat there every time I'm in Indy. St. Elmo Steakhouse Watch out for the horseradish! :sad: