• 8 - good
    • 7 - decent
    • 6 - okay
    • 5 - neutral
    • 4 - meh
    • 3 - bad
    • 2 - god-awful
    • 1 - one of the worst ever

I'm disappointed this season. BD is just sittin' around, Cadets prove they are cruel to animals by severely beating Bernstein's horse, Crown is just mowing the grass, Cavies are yodeling back and forth some song not worth remembering, Vanguard is trying to be something they're not, a ballet troupe. PR is just...I'm not going to go there.

I've decided not to go to any shows this year. I guess it's the danger of the online video age. I see what's out there this season and I'd rather just go see Harry Potter tonight than drive to a show.

Flame on. I'm wearing a nomex uniform.

:tongue::worthy::tongue::smile: :smile: :worthy:

:worthy:

I've had more laughs reading this board today than ever before. Thanks.

As to the topic, I voted 8. The upsets and close scores make it interesting. I'm not that crazy about several of the shows and somewhat agree with the quote above. I am glad that the Cadets aren't being hammered YET AGAIN about narration. I'm sad because I think BD are gonna win again with a show that's just not that creative.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is easy for me.

This is the first year I've been following drum corps. So IMO, it's a 10! I know it's a cop out, but what can I say. I'll probably feel the same way next year and so on and so on. I have to admit, I don't watch the shows for all the technical mumbo jumbo (would that be a technical term?) I just watch with my mouth open in amazement at what these "kids" can do and have mastered in such a relatively short time.

I've really only been involved in HS band, and use to think "Geez a full week of camp, that is brutal!" .. Now I have a new amount of respect and admiration for what every group has and will accomplish this season! It is so exciting to watch the boards, WAIT for scores (I thought last night was going to kill me!). I can only imagine what the next 3 weeks will hold!!

:tongue:

I'll tell you after I find out who wins and where my team finshes. That could be the determining factor whether this is a GREAT season or a disappointing season.

ON a side note, is there anyone on the east coast that is buying into the notion that SCV is the fan favorite this year? Just curious

Hmmm. "Team" stopped me dead in my tracks. I like Santa Clara. Season so far is "interesting." As in the Chinese proverb.

I'll wait.

Puppet

My official rating of 2009 won’t occur until at least 2010

But so far this season really sucks

2/3 shows I was to attend got rained out, I really should get the fan network for free or something because I would have had more fun setting fire to $200 bucks than driving to the shows, getting in the stands and then being sent home

The show I did see…looked really dirty, all the corps looked early June dirty when it was late June…I was rather under-whelmed by performance and uninspired by their show designs

I’m hating electronics, I have not seen them used well at all

Saw about the worse designed drum corps show ever this year (won’t name names)

The climb towards mediocrity continues – many think the corps are getting better, generally I think they are all getting worse which is way they are getting more bunched upped in the scores

I’m not rooting for any show because none of the ones I’ve seen have merited it – they seem stale, rehashed, or insipid

I’m thinking it’s a 2 now but that may change when I see more shows

Pretty sure I’m done as a Friend of DCI, even going to finals next year is in doubt as it just doesn’t seem worth it

I kind of want my money back - so maybe I should change that to a 1 as I've never felt that way before

Oh and for the context –I went to DCI in 72 when I was 4 years old and most of them since in one form or another, so I've seen a lot

Edited by cowtown

I'm not sure if I like the shows more than the last couple years but I like the "storylines" Cadets vs. Crown, Blue Stars beating Phantom, SCV being SCV again.... all really entertaining.

My official rating of 2009 won’t occur until at least 2010

But so far this season really sucks

2/3 shows I was to attend got rained out, I really should get the fan network for free or something because I would have had more fun setting fire to $200 bucks than driving to the shows, getting in the stands and then being sent home

The show I did see…looked really dirty, all the corps looked early June dirty when it was late June…I was rather under-whelmed by performance and uninspired by their show designs

I’m hating electronics, I have not seen them used well at all

Saw about the worse designed drum corps show ever this year (won’t name names)

The climb towards mediocrity continues – many think the corps are getting better, generally I think they are all getting worse which is way they are getting more bunched upped in the scores

I’m not rooting for any show because none of the ones I’ve seen have merited it – they seem stale, rehashed, or insipid

I’m thinking it’s a 2 now but that may change when I see more shows

Pretty sure I’m done as a Friend of DCI, even going to finals next year is in doubt as it just doesn’t seem worth it

I kind of want my money back - so maybe I should change that to a 1 as I've never felt that way before

Oh and for the context –I went to DCI in 72 when I was 4 years old and most of them since in one form or another, so I've seen a lot

I hear ya with the rainouts. That's happened several times to me, but I try not to take it out on DCI. At least finals is in a Dome. That is a + and a -, but at least it won't get rained out.

Well, I chose "Meh.". I just am not that excited at all by any of the shows this year. It's not as bad as 2005, but it's close. The electronic synthesizers being used in many of the corps' shows this year doesn't help either. I'm sick of the "fake bass". Other "Meh" years for me: 2007, 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992. I am seriously debating not going to the semifinals theater broadcast this year, I just don't care. Carry on...

Edited by Cardman

Well - I haven't seen everyone live, but I was very entertained and blown away by the performances

at Drums Along the Rockies....so for me, this is the best season since 92. I voted 10.

So many great shows...Bluecoats rocked the house, BK has their best corps since 94,

Cavaliers were great as usual, Blue Devils were stunning and exciting...thought the chairs

were visually awesome...and Vanguard...HOLY CRAP! :blink:

*San Antonio Night Traffic Bump*

I agree with Cowtown. I know of no other entetainment venue that a refund or rain check is not given to the consumer in the event of a cancellation. I drove to Rockford and Naperville, spent big bucks on tickets, gas to get there and 12 hours total drive time only to be told "Sorry the show is cancelled due to the weather." How does DCI expect to promote the activity when they treat fans as if they can throw money away without getting what they paid for. Locals looking for a night of enjoyment that have never been to a show before will certainly never go again and more than likely tell many others how they were shafted by not getting their money back. In the service industry it comes down to CUSTOMER SERVICE and DCI is providing an entertainment service. They should not bite the hand that feeds them.