The Amazing Bucs are 42-0

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This takes nothing away from the Bucs amazing run over the past 4+ years. But to match up corps records from the 70’s * 80’s may not hold to much water.

Corps had many more contests in the past, if I’m not mistaken and I’m sure John will correct me but seasons started in May back in the day and having Saturday & Sundays back to back shows were commen place. I remember seeing a schedule on Cos’s door with as many as 17 contests a year. During the 84, 85 run 14 + contests a year was our schedule which is another reason why it was so hard to go undefeated.

This takes nothing away from the Bucs amazing run over the past 4+ years. But to match up corps records from the 70’s * 80’s may not hold to much water.

Corps had many more contests in the past, if I’m not mistaken and I’m sure John will correct me but seasons started in May back in the day and having Saturday & Sundays back to back shows were commen place. I remember seeing a schedule on Cos’s door with as many as 17 contests a year. During the 84, 85 run 14 + contests a year was our schedule which is another reason why it was so hard to go undefeated.

we could have 22 shows in a season. did a lot of those. by this date we would have 13 shows under our belt.

we could have 22 shows in a season. did a lot of those. by this date we would have 13 shows under our belt.
What?? And nobody got "burned out"? Geez, never mind the weekend off, folks today would require 2 YEARS off to recover...

At what point does the general health and future of DCA take precedence over whether Bucs go undefeated or not?
That my friend is a GREAT question...and one which should require it's own thread. The question of course then becomes, is the Bucs dominance detrimental and/or related to the general health and future of DCA, and if so, how do we proceed from here....

That my friend is a GREAT question...and one which should require it's own thread. The question of course then becomes, is the Bucs dominance detrimental and/or related to the general health and future of DCA, and if so, how do we proceed from here....

LOL!

Ok, and how to we proceed, then... we ask the government to break them up? :whistle:

At what point does the general health and future of DCA take precedence over whether Bucs go undefeated or not?

OK - I'm sort of sorry for putting it this way - but I think that's the stupidest observation one could possibly make about any competitive activity, e.g. at what point does the health of the Tour de France take precedence over Lance Armstrong's dominance?

The Bucs should, in fact must, win every show that they have the best combination of product and performance. If that makes everyone in the entire activity sad, then cry me a river.

To think otherwise is to make the entire activity meaningless.

There is one proviso to this, which pertains to the product part of what I just wrote: every, repeat every act gets old, especially to judges who see it week in and week out (I guess that Wayne Newton and Celine Dion are probably exempted from this in Vegas). If they had stayed together long enough, we would have tired of the Beatles. At some point the judges will deem someone else's product to be fresher, more entertaining, or whatever and everyone will scream "Cheat! Fix!" or whatever. But everything passes, otherwise Cats would still be playing at the Winter Garden. When the end inevitably comes, it will likely not be because the BUCS membership has slipped, or because DCA wants them out. It will be because the Buccaneer sound and look have been seen and admired for so long that judges will become numb and ready for something else. In all likelihood, so will the audience. Not your fault. Not their fault. It's happened to every DC dynasty, including yours, back in the day.

One of the things you have to give George Hopkins credit for is reinventing Cadets over and over again.

Keep killing them Bucs it isn't going to last forever, and when it ends it won't be your fault, or the judges fault, or the DCA's fault - it'll be a natural process that has been around forever. If he had lived longer, they would have grown even more tired of Beethoven than they had by 1827.

BTW, when it does end, people in the marching activity will talk about this dynasty for a long long time. Well done.

Sorry, that's where I draw the line. The Bucs are great, but it isn't because everyone else is bad.

DCA is healthy and strong. The fact that the Bucs have been the first place corps for X number of years hasn't hurt that. This circuit has NEVER had this much success NATIONWIDE.

If anything, it would be nice if the Bucs would travel the country (or world) promoting the activity, like Empire in the 90's,

or run a DCA Championship, like Empire and the Brigs have.

But that would cut into your practice schedule... if that's your priority.

One thing Empire Founder Vince Bruni always said, and I know the Brigs Admin believed as well: "What's the sense of having that trophy if you don't do anything with it?"

We (Empire) traveled to Brazil in '93 for $500 a person. He used "That Trophy" to secure sponsorships and funding. We didn't win that year, but who cares?

LOL!

Ok, and how to we proceed, then... we ask the government to break them up? :whistle:

Granted, that is kinda silly..BUT if the Yanks win the World Series 5 years straight, would that begin affecting baseball in terms of advertising, TV revenue, fan support, etc. If Bucs extend the undefeated championship streak to say 10 years will we have DCA fans marching on Washington? (only kidding). I just thought the original question was meant to relate the overall health of DCA to such a dominance. Perhaps I misunderstood the post. I of course, agree with Mr. Fallon totally...if the Bucs continue to and deserve to win, so be it. Edited by VOReason