"Sterile" shows of 2009

That's a pretty rude tone to take with someone who isn't a part of the Crossmen, especially concerning a non-finalist show that very few people involved in drum corps today have seen.

If you want the Crossmen to succeed, get involved. The support of even one fan or alumnus does a lot for our organization. Wishing the clock could be turned back does nothing.

Well Taylor I don't think what I said was rude and I'm sorry that is your perception. As to your second coment about being involved. Both of my kids marched with Crossmen and from 1982 through 1997 my wife and I served as volunters, board members, fund raisers, cooks, souvie sellers, bus and truck driver among other things like putting up a lot of money to help save the corps from folding twice. In general I've been involved with drum corps since 1954 and 11 of those years as a marcher and many as teaching staff with local Philly corps. After 15 years with Crossmen I have a very good idea of what works for them and I believe they are heading in the wrong direction with this type of programing. I believe my point is valid.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok explain 95? not jazz, yet had that Crossmen drive and passion.

I have tried to block that show from my memory, in fact, I had forgot about it until I saw your post. Yes, the corps made finals with that show and I often wonder why. I hated that show so much I never once went into the stadium to see the corps perform it. I was very content to stay in the souvie trailer and wait for 96 to roll around. I do think the kids and staff did a good job with a bad product in 95.

In my opinion Santa Clara is the biggest disappointment. I have liked several of their past shows-06 and 07 being my favorites but this year is sooooo unlike them. I realize they had a major staff overhaul but it shouldn't have affected things this much. There's no VANGUARD! moment in the show, the cymbal line doesn't form a V and I'm unmoved by the show. I feel like the show is so one layered. The music is sporadic, being played in little chunks here and there for a good portion of the show until we get to the almighty shaker tune. Yes I realize it is a classic folk melody, and it was great when Blast did it in 2001, but I'm just tired of it. Especially when it is basically the orchestral arrangement transferred to the field. With a standard piece like that, it would be nice to hear an inventive arrangement. I don't know, but that's the one I'm most disappointed with.

The things they are doing well: The balls-out extended chord at the end has a pretty good balance. Hard to do with a chord that long, that loud, and played front field. They also execute the show very well, with the marching and performance aspects. Better luck next year in the show design.

You have missed the whole point of the show!! This show is about beauty and elegence.

That's a pretty rude tone to take with someone who isn't a part of the Crossmen, especially concerning a non-finalist show that very few people involved in drum corps today have seen.

If you want the Crossmen to succeed, get involved. The support of even one fan or alumnus does a lot for our organization. Wishing the clock could be turned back does nothing.

To succeed the Crossmen will have to get a new arranger. The visual show is fine, but the music.......

I have tried to block that show from my memory, in fact, I had forgot about it until I saw your post. Yes, the corps made finals with that show and I often wonder why. I hated that show so much I never once went into the stadium to see the corps perform it. I was very content to stay in the souvie trailer and wait for 96 to roll around. I do think the kids and staff did a good job with a bad product in 95.

Wow. If I were involved with the Crossmen, I wouldn't know whether to thank you for all the support you showed over the years, or punch you in the face for flat out refusing to watch the members perform just because their show failed to live up to some standard you have set in your mind of what you think "works best for the corps." Even if you don't like the show, if you can't support the kids on the field when they're giving their heart and soul to what they're doing, then maybe you're doing this drum corps thing for the wrong reasons.

Edited by rut-roh

In my opinion Santa Clara is the biggest disappointment. I have liked several of their past shows-06 and 07 being my favorites but this year is sooooo unlike them. I realize they had a major staff overhaul but it shouldn't have affected things this much. There's no VANGUARD! moment in the show, the cymbal line doesn't form a V and I'm unmoved by the show. I feel like the show is so one layered. The music is sporadic, being played in little chunks here and there for a good portion of the show until we get to the almighty shaker tune. Yes I realize it is a classic folk melody, and it was great when Blast did it in 2001, but I'm just tired of it. Especially when it is basically the orchestral arrangement transferred to the field. With a standard piece like that, it would be nice to hear an inventive arrangement. I don't know, but that's the one I'm most disappointed with.

The things they are doing well: The balls-out extended chord at the end has a pretty good balance. Hard to do with a chord that long, that loud, and played front field. They also execute the show very well, with the marching and performance aspects. Better luck next year in the show design.

I'll respectfully disagree here. Of all the attempts to put this work on the field, I like SCV 09 the best since Garfield's. Certainly the gutsy design decision here was to take Copland's work and merely adapt/interpret it on the field, rather than write an "original composition inspired by..." that borrows a couple of melodies from the original, but otherwise completely ignores its musical structure and intent. I give kudos to Fiedler and Co. for taking this approach - they have by far the most elegant show on the field this summer, and what I'm sure will be a huge audience favorite in Indy.

If your point is that this kind of musical design will not be rewarded competitively in DCI today, you're almost certainly correct. So much the worse for DCI, I'd think.

Well Taylor I don't think what I said was rude and I'm sorry that is your perception. As to your second coment about being involved. Both of my kids marched with Crossmen and from 1982 through 1997 my wife and I served as volunters, board members, fund raisers, cooks, souvie sellers, bus and truck driver among other things like putting up a lot of money to help save the corps from folding twice. In general I've been involved with drum corps since 1954 and 11 of those years as a marcher and many as teaching staff with local Philly corps. After 15 years with Crossmen I have a very good idea of what works for them and I believe they are heading in the wrong direction with this type of programing. I believe my point is valid.

If more people like you had been there when help was needed, maybe things today would be different. I long to hear the kind of music I played with the Crossmen again, but I don't think it will happen. Despite that, I will support Mark Chambers and his people because they are keeping the corps I love alive. If you haven't met Mark or Fred yet, I recommend getting to know them. Even though I don't particularly like the music that is chosen, I like the direction they are taking the organization logistically and I appreciate the consistency they are working toward. I'm still serious about you getting involved: someone of your experience could probably help a lot and would be greatly appreciated.

i'll take that show over 96 any day

I'll respectfully disagree here. Of all the attempts to put this work on the field, I like SCV 09 the best since Garfield's. Certainly the gutsy design decision here was to take Copland's work and merely adapt/interpret it on the field, rather than write an "original composition inspired by..." that borrows a couple of melodies from the original, but otherwise completely ignores its musical structure and intent. I give kudos to Fiedler and Co. for taking this approach - they have by far the most elegant show on the field this summer, and what I'm sure will be a huge audience favorite in Indy.

If your point is that this kind of musical design will not be rewarded competitively in DCI today, you're almost certainly correct. So much the worse for DCI, I'd think.

Oh yeah, I definitely understand what you and several other members are saying, I just feel like they could be doing so much more. I remember sitting in the stands at a show site in 2006; we shared a housing location with SCV and we finished up early so I went to go watch them. That show was the first time I really took notice of them, at the speed at which they were moving, how often they played while marching, and at how difficult and snaky the drill was. I just don't get that from this year's show. I understand that they are trying new things; heading in a different direction and I completely respect their organization for that...........I just hope it's the right direction.

Thank you for your courteous reply as well!

Oh yeah, I definitely understand what you and several other members are saying, I just feel like they could be doing so much more. I remember sitting in the stands at a show site in 2006; we shared a housing location with SCV and we finished up early so I went to go watch them. That show was the first time I really took notice of them, at the speed at which they were moving, how often they played while marching, and at how difficult and snaky the drill was. I just don't get that from this year's show. I understand that they are trying new things; heading in a different direction and I completely respect their organization for that...........I just hope it's the right direction.

IMO, it is. Sometimes, less really is more. I have long believed that in our desire for whip-speed drill and ever-increasingly hyped visual effects, we've sacrificed much of the musical emotion and visceral experience that comes from a beautiful show, well done . . . which was what Santa Clara was inherently about for so many years. IMO, this is what Santa Clara is aiming for. And it really isn't anything new, by the way, but more of a return to a style they were long known for. I, for one, applaud them for doing it, and am really looking forward to experiencing this show in Buffalo!