"Sterile" shows of 2009

So I've been watching the Houston performances and WOW...is it just me, or is anyone else not feeling much emotionally from BD's or the Cavaliers' shows? Sure, they are clean and perform what they have very well...but where's the excitement? BD sits on chairs for what seems like a quarter of the show, and spells out "1930" like we didn't get it the first 19 times (exaggerating of course), and the Cavaliers have their pretty cool drill (almost always like it), but the music just sits their for me. I really don't want a champion that can't even raise one goosebump on my body.

I am not a hater of these corps...just not liking where potential championship performances are going this year.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've been watching the Houston performances and WOW...is it just me, or is anyone else not feeling much emotionally from BD's or the Cavaliers' shows? Sure, they are clean and perform what they have very well...but where's the excitement? BD sits on chairs for what seems like a quarter of the show, and spells out "1930" like we didn't get it the first 19 times (exaggerating of course), and the Cavaliers have their pretty cool drill (almost always like it), but the music just sits their for me. I really don't want a champion that can't even raise one goosebump on my body.

I am not a hater of these corps...just not liking where potential championship performances are going this year.

Cascades

Colts

Scouts

Academy

Colts (they get 2 mentions for boring me twice)

Spirit (If I wanted to go to a rock concert, I wouldnt go to a DRUM CORPS SHOW)

BK.5 - first half of the show ROCKS! Synth guitar = lost me as well as most of the audinece. As in an "ewwwww" or "ugghhhh" moment

Cavies

PC

BC

I don't care for the Cavaliers show at all this year. Not saying they don't execute well, cause they do, it's just a little boring for me.

Also I was hoping for more from Crossmen, but their show seems exactly like Star 93, but about 30 clicks slower, (and a lot less awesome)

I think it's 100x harder to get any kind of emotional connection through a computer screen. I've watched some of my favorite shows of all time (that I've seen live) and it's a whole different experience on the screen. It just doesn't move me as much.

Live is where it's at.

I think it's 100x harder to get any kind of emotional connection through a computer screen. I've watched some of my favorite shows of all time (that I've seen live) and it's a whole different experience on the screen. It just doesn't move me as much.

Live is where it's at.

Can't wait for Murfreesboro then! Not looking forward to the 7 hour drive though >_<

I don't care for the Cavaliers show at all this year. Not saying they don't execute well, cause they do, it's just a little boring for me.

Also I was hoping for more from Crossmen, but their show seems exactly like Star 93, but about 30 clicks slower, (and a lot less awesome)

I agree with you about Crossmen. It seems the new admin is trying to take the corps in a new direction that is far away from what the corps has always been. This is not a Crossmen show and I was really sad to see this happen. It's like 1983 all over again.

Blue Devils and Cadets for me, really. I just don't get anything from those shows. I've been rooting for Crown/Cavies because of this, because I really do sense the emotion, and well... show design in their shows.

Blue Devils and Cadets for me, really. I just don't get anything from those shows. I've been rooting for Crown/Cavies because of this, because I really do sense the emotion, and well... show design in their shows.

Here I would disagree. I think the Blue Devils are packed with great music and wonderful drill that flows fell. That is a great show. And the Cadets are just magnificent in all aspects. People have said they like their drill but not the music. To the contrary for me. Their music is exciting, riveting, and well crafted. Is it perfect? No. Are there a few spots that they need some enhancement? Yes. But the design is far better than people give it credit for, and the audiences at the shows (live) have been going wild for the Cadets all season.

I can listen to or watch BD and Cadets all day! Now that is drum corps!

it seems like the shows that are really connecting visually arent musically and vice versa for all but a few