Whatever they use to draw a crowd for this show definitely works, what a great crowd.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's been steady since the show came back in 03, and actually didnt get rained out from 04 on.

very good committee who markets it well

The show was very well run. Big CV thanks go out to our host in Mifflinburg, band director Matt Wagner. The town itself was very quaint and welcoming. Several of our younger members were surprised to see actual horse-drawn buggys on the nearby roads. All-in-all a very sucessful trip for the CorpsVets.

Thanks Jeff for your review of the show. And I will also ditto the other posts on the great crowd as well as the over logistics involved with this show. The Lewisburg folks have this down to a science. Our facilities at the Lewisburg Middle School where excellent with scaffolding provided for the main drill field.....a nice added touch.

The local Domino's stayed open beyond there normal hours to account for when our bus came in on Friday night. The entire community there loves Drum Corps and looks forward to this show every year.......as do we!

The show was very well run. Big CV thanks go out to our host in Mifflinburg, band director Matt Wagner. The town itself was very quaint and welcoming. Several of our younger members were surprised to see actual horse-drawn buggys on the nearby roads. All-in-all a very sucessful trip for the CorpsVets.

awesome you got to meet Matt! He was a teacher of mine more years ago than he'll like me to admit, and I learned much from him and have kept in touch with him since graduation.

Whatever they use to draw a crowd for this show definitely works, what a great crowd.

HAHA ... hey Frank ... the prisoners at the State pen there make great fans ... half of them knew JoJo in 68 ...

:-)

####. I applaud you guys. I ##### driving an hour to see a show :tongue:

We're use to it.

Sky Alumni: that street beat. that snare sound. You have to love it, and I do, even if the snare line shrank since last year. In fact, the whole corps did or many bodies were missing. yes, as Scott said in April, the snare line serves up more singles than Wendys. If you want fun in a drum corps show, let Jomba on the podium...in fact, just waiting for him to get up is good, because he'll play to the crowd...he's a ham. Loved hearing Somethings Coming, Give My Regards to Broadway was off the albums, Miserlou always a thrill, and of course Slaughter into Little Old NY into the Skyliner ending. My only real issues of the night were the smaller hornline being overpowered by the snare line at times. 7 snares overpowering 30 or so brass when standing still is an issue. Also...why bury the tenors in your set up? let em be seen!

Yes Jeff, it was a smaller corps than planned. Between work, family, illness/injury or previous commitments, we were down approximately 19 horns, 3 snares, 2 cymbals and 1 drum major. Sometimes life does get in the way.

The tenors are usually in line with the snares, but with the depleted hornline, the spread from side to side would have been too much for this corps and would have caused more problems than we needed. Over all, we thought we did a pretty good job with some minor glitches.

The Lewisburg fans are still as knowledgeable and appreciative as I remember them from the 60s and 70s. We always enjoy playing for those folks.

Thanks again to the Cavalcade of Champions committee for their wonderful hospitality and for providing great venues for practice and performing. It was a real pleasure to be back at Bucknell once again.

And thanks, also, to you for your upfront and unbiased comments. We appreciate it.

And as for Jomba, or any of our majors for that matter, the real drama is watching them step down from the podium! LOL

Ray

HAHA ... hey Frank ... the prisoners at the State pen there make great fans ... half of them knew JoJo in 68 ...

:-)

It's actually a FEDERAL pen, Andy. Mr Hoffa was a "guest" there in 1968 when we performed for our 'shut-in' friends, some of whom had done some time with other well known senior corps of the era. I'm surprised they hadn't asked the warden about organizing their own corps or a least a mini corps.

I can still remember some of the cons yelling out questions to us, i.e., " how's Reilly doing?", " Are the Rebels going to be here too?", and "what do you hear from Prince?". Obviously fans from all over, but I doubt any of them had a subscription to Drum Corps News back then. LOL

Ray