Alamodome Catwalk Cam

I really think that HNC needs to march less and do more individual visual "stuff". :tongue:

Maybe they could bring some park benches and trees onto the field?

Nah; that didn't work out so great for them in the past :tongue:

(Of course, 2nd isn't too shabby, and I LOVE that show)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddly enough, I accept that explanation. :tongue: I had the wrong idea! My apologies!

I do consider myself a homer for BD but not a destructive one. I only get feisty when it appears yet another venom filled assault is underway on these top level performers having no substance, just a punk ### comment designed to minimize their accomplishments (in hopes it will somehow elevate their particular favorite corps in the bargain). By the way, I do realize that BD doesn't need my help! They're fine without it, thank you!

I have posted 2 negative comments to say about the corps this year: Crowns guard and Cadets percussion (one fixable, one maybe not). But I do not snipe these corps as they are all superb and it's a matter of one better than other, not one worse than another. I think that's a civil approach to take when it comes to the corps (but punk posters are fair game). :tongue:

Well then can we start fresh with my intentions maybe a little better explained?

Let's talk BD. They obviously are doing things a little differently to enhance their visuals this year. It isn't good or bad, it's just different.

Is this the sign of things to come from all corps? ( Really great staging, etc...)

Crown is doing some body movement this year ( ala Star '93). I like the way the are on the 50 in a "company front" and jump up and down. It makes them look like a stereo equalizer.

Cavies did the drop and roll thing a couple of years ago to many jeers on here.

This year, Cavies have a guard member climbing some of the hornline this year. They also have the whole section of the show that is basically a trumpet and guard feature where they have a lot of non drill visual.

Is this effective? Is this the type of show that will be properly rewarded in the end by the judges? Does the fan prefer just full on drill and playing during the whole show?

My thoughts are that fans and judges will want more drill than these alternate visual techniques.

Let's see what you all think.

Yea, sorry I went away for a while too. I think there are some BD honks who think I'm trying to pick on their corps. All I'm really trying to do is talk about the design of the drill of these corps, mostly the hornline since that's where most of the member of these corps are... I think they expect me to attack them by saying they don't march as much or have an easy show.

I'm instead trying to talk about the fact that their show design is different than the other top 3 corps, especially Cadets and Cavies. I think BD is choosing a different route to the visual aspect of their show and the FN clip proves me right. It also would explain why maybe they're cleaner visually, and maybe also musically. Lots of possibilities.

There is a large portion of their show where they are spread so widely that they are not even seen by the Cat Walk camera. It's not really possible to quote EXACTLY what they are doing, because if you watch the show, their staging is so well done that you don't even notice that the horn line is no longer blowing your face off on the front side line, but framing this beautiful curvilinear around the color guard while the drum line is playing some major beats!

Their design is so different in that it flows differently. Cavies and BD's drill seems to flow quite consistently between longer holds. Where Crown and Cadets have some different visual packages, it is not quite as flowing IMO.

Nah; that didn't work out so great for them in the past :tongue:

(Of course, 2nd isn't too shabby, and I LOVE that show)

Yea, people thought I was gonna attack BDs chairs this year, but I threw a curve ball. :tongue:

That was a sweet show. ( bass drum run!) Was that 1995?

...And the judges then didn't reward that design with enough points to win.

Will the judges be able to give a similiar idea from the 2009 BD a shot in the end?

There is a large portion of their show where they are spread so widely that they are not even seen by the Cat Walk camera. It's not really possible to quote EXACTLY what they are doing, because if you watch the show, their staging is so well done that you don't even notice that the horn line is no longer blowing your face off on the front side line, but framing this beautiful curvilinear around the color guard while the drum line is playing some major beats!

Their design is so different in that it flows differently. Cavies and BD's drill seems to flow quite consistently between longer holds. Where Crown and Cadets have some different visual packages, it is not quite as flowing IMO.

Yea, that's why I've got the VOD from San Antonio. I wanted to see what BD was doing during this part of the show. The thing for me with BD is that their guard greatly, greatly enhances the visual product. The hornline drill is very flowing, especially in that middle section where they disappear off the high cam.

It's hard for me to judge the Cavies show because it is soooo smooth between each part of the show visually.

The Cadets march their butts off, but the transitions are as flowing. They're definitely going to try to power their way to the top. I see lots of drill and not as much "alternative" visual in their shows.

Crown is a hybrid. They're doing a lot of individual body work, but they also march their butts off. I didn't realize how much they marched until I looked at the high cam. They're booking!

Edited by jjeffeory

Yea, people thought I was gonna attack BDs chairs this year, but I threw a curve ball. :tongue:

That was a sweet show. ( bass drum run!) Was that 1995?

...And the judges then didn't reward that design with enough points to win.

Will the judges be able to give a similiar idea from the 2009 BD a shot in the end?

Yeah, '95 American Quintet. High visual demand that year. No win but it didn't help that a handful of Cadets fell.

Yea, that's why I've got the VOD from San Antonio. I wanted to see what BD was doing during this part of the show. The thing for me with BD is that their guard greatly, greatly enhances the visual product. The hornline drill is very flowing, especially in that middle section where they disappear off the high cam.

It's heard for me to judge the Cavies show because it is soooo smooth between each part of the show visually.

The Cadets march their butts off, but the transitions are as flowing. They're definitely going to try to power their way to the top. I see lots of drill and not as much "alternative" visual in their shows.

Crown is a hybrid. They're doing a lot of individual body work, but they also march their butts off. I didn't realize how much they marched until I looked at the high cam. They're booking!

Yeah, these four have some insane visual books this year! Each with their own take on how to do them! And I think the judges are getting it right for the time being! Visually it gets dirtier from top to bottom if you watch the VOD's in 1, 2, 3, 4 order! I just can't wait to see where SCV comes into play! They are visually clean, but the demand isn't quite there with the other 4. I can't believe how much fun I'm having just analyzing all the shows this year! It is tough not marching, but this sure does help to fill that void!

Yeah, these four have some insane visual books this year! Each with their own take on how to do them! And I think the judges are getting it right for the time being! Visually it gets dirtier from top to bottom if you watch the VOD's in 1, 2, 3, 4 order! I just can't wait to see where SCV comes into play! They are visually clean, but the demand isn't quite there with the other 4. I can't believe how much fun I'm having just analyzing all the shows this year! It is tough not marching, but this sure does help to fill that void!

SCV is a breath of fresh air in terms of design, despite less visual demand. It really paces out the top 8 well when there this kind of variety and that does make it enjoyable for me.

SCV is a breath of fresh air in terms of design, despite less visual demand. It really paces out the top 8 well when there this kind of variety and that does make it enjoyable for me.

I'm not going to lie, when I first saw them in Walnut at the beginning of the season, I was blown away. But I DIDN'T KNOW WHY! The music was brilliantly performed, but for the majority of the show they are marching smaller then 8 to 5. I think that is allowing them to perform this masterpiece with such emotion and sophistication. I think once the other four shows clean their feet even more, I think the demand will bring down the Visual Comp and Rep. But they are doing amazingly right now! I think the new technique they are using is also really allowing them to play with such control! A LA Cavaliers old staff!

Well then can we start fresh with my intentions maybe a little better explained?

Let's talk BD. They obviously are doing things a little differently to enhance their visuals this year. It isn't good or bad, it's just different.

Is this the sign of things to come from all corps? ( Really great staging, etc...)

Crown is doing some body movement this year ( ala Star '93). I like the way the are on the 50 in a "company front" and jump up and down. It makes them look like a stereo equalizer.

Cavies did the drop and roll thing a couple of years ago to many jeers on here.

This year, Cavies have a guard member climbing some of the hornline this year. They also have the whole section of the show that is basically a trumpet and guard feature where they have a lot of non drill visual.

Is this effective? Is this the type of show that will be properly rewarded in the end by the judges? Does the fan prefer just full on drill and playing during the whole show?

My thoughts are that fans and judges will want more drill than these alternate visual techniques.

Let's see what you all think.

My view is that BD and Cadets (actually Hoppy) have been pushing the edges of the activity in design. BD's has proved less risky (no pun intended) in that they are moving is a sort of Cirque kind of direction (though not completely). Their guard are actors and dancers that intertwine/interact with the brass. THIS is the big difference between Cavies/BD and Crown/SCV. For the later, the guard is window dressing (beautiful, exceptional window dressing). They pass by one another or act among themselves almost like two parallel non-converging performances. Crown 2007 was the complete opposite -- totally integrated and amazing! To some degree the Cadets this year (with a few exceptions that are touching and interacting with the brass as characters) are similarly arrayed with their guard, parallel non-integrated. So that is one big design difference. BD's brass and guard have a raucous good time together, they recognize each other and share space. Big difference! Cavies to a less degree but they do climb all over the brass!

Hoppy did try to take the activity down a road it wasn't ready to go and they paid a price. This year, it's like he's saying to all the crowd from last year "OK you ####ers, you want Drum Corps, in your face!" But look to him for another push at the edges in the future, I think it's just his nature.

PR was a straight up design anomaly last year, that won't happen again for a while. Stories are frickin' hard to sell on the field, so like someone else mentioned...themes are the best design framework and then you're free to create with no boundaries, timelines or events to fit, just beautiful structure!

I have more to say on this but this is getting a bit long.