Alamodome Catwalk Cam

My view is that BD and Cadets (actually Hoppy) have been pushing the edges of the activity in design. BD's has proved less risky (no pun intended) in that they are moving is a sort of Cirque kind of direction (though not completely). Their guard are actors and dancers that intertwine/interact with the brass. THIS is the big difference between Cavies/BD and Crown/SCV. For the later, the guard is window dressing (beautiful, exceptional window dressing). They pass by one another or act among themselves almost like two parallel non-converging performances. Crown 2007 was the complete opposite -- totally integrated and amazing! To some degree the Cadets this year (with a few exceptions that are touching and interacting with the brass as characters) are similarly arrayed with their guard, parallel non-integrated. So that is one big design difference. BD's brass and guard have a raucous good time together, they recognize each other and share space. Big difference! Cavies to a less degree but they do climb all over the brass!

Hoppy did try to take the activity down a road it wasn't ready to go and they paid a price. This year, it's like he's saying to all the crowd from last year "OK you ####ers, you want Drum Corps, in your face!" But look to him for another push at the edges in the future, I think it's just his nature.

PR was a straight up design anomaly last year, that won't happen again for a while. Stories are frickin' hard to sell on the field, so like someone else mentioned...themes are the best design framework and then you're free to create with no boundaries, timelines or events to fit, just beautiful structure!

I have more to say on this but this is getting a bit long.

This is what DCP is for... Well, that and fighting all of the time, but that's kinda boring.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what DCP is for... Well, that and fighting all of the time, but that's kinda boring.

Touche' :tongue:

Yea, people thought I was gonna attack BDs chairs this year, but I threw a curve ball. :tongue:

That was a sweet show. ( bass drum run!) Was that 1995?

...And the judges then didn't reward that design with enough points to win.

Will the judges be able to give a similiar idea from the 2009 BD a shot in the end?

They've been rewarding them so far. And I don't remember Cadets being successful in placing 1st all season to Blue Devils (who beat them all season up until Finals week), and possible Cavaliers (though they were beating Cavs early/mid season I seem to remember). They seemed to be a solid 2nd all season long for the most part, whereas Blue Devils have so far been a very solid 1st.

They've been rewarding them so far. And I don't remember Cadets being successful in placing 1st all season to Blue Devils (who beat them all season up until Finals week), and possible Cavaliers (though they were beating Cavs early/mid season I seem to remember). They seemed to be a solid 2nd all season long for the most part, whereas Blue Devils have so far been a very solid 1st.

I would think that the concern would be in a couple of weeks when other corps really clean up visually. Who am I to say what should win, but I think there are some people who will complain about BDs current visual direction versus what they see from HNC or even Cavies. I can see why these people would complain, but I'm trying to look at the situation from a BD point of view and see where the merits of their approach to visual take me and more importantly the activity. We all know that the winner usually if heavily followed. So, if BD wins with this type of design we can expect copies.

Did anyone else even notice how DIRTY Crown was visually? That video just told me why they are not doing well in large stadiums. When the judges are higher up...it's not a pretty picture. They might look pretty rolling around and such, but the drill is very dirty. Can I have spatial relationships for 400 Alex?????

Did anyone else even notice how DIRTY Crown was visually? That video just told me why they are not doing well in large stadiums. When the judges are higher up...it's not a pretty picture. They might look pretty rolling around and such, but the drill is very dirty. Can I have spatial relationships for 400 Alex?????

I didn't think they were particularly dirty compared to the other corps. I did notice that they march more than I originally thought.

I didn't think they were particularly dirty compared to the other corps. I did notice that they march more than I originally thought.

There are a few sets where Crown is pretty dirty, but I blame that on poor drill design in certain areas of the show.