Scouts looking for a new member

Hey, if your looking for a male character performer who can play a middle-aged, balding, slightly overweight IT professional, I may just be your man....IF of course you can make up my lost salary and house me in a five star hotel at DCI finals!! Oh, a corporate card for my expenses would also be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, if your looking for a male character performer who can play a middle-aged, balding, slightly overweight IT professional, I may just be your man....IF of course you can make up my lost salary and house me in a five star hotel at DCI finals!! Oh, a corporate card for my expenses would also be greatly appreciated.

I've already thought of that, and were it not for the age limit, I might have given it a try. I would name my anti-hero, "Repulso."

Good luck to the Scouts to work out whatever they feel the show needs in the last few weeks. This is the opportunity of a lifetime for someone who couldn't march this entire season for whatever reason.

Edited by Michael Boo

Robes are supposed to represent a voodoo/shaman/underworld figure according to the San Antonio commentary. The story is that the "regular guy" who was a petty thief was revived by a Shaman and given superpowers by her, which she had him use for her benefit to start, and then he later decided to use the powers for good instead. IMO, the robes represent the voodoo/shaman/underworld concept pretty well.

Ok, this is the problem with the degree to which corps are focusing on theme these days. That is WAY to involved of a story line to pull off on a drum corps field. FOCUS ON THE MUSIC AND THE MARCHING, and stop trying to send everyone home with a new book to read.

Yeah, because if anything is going to get them to Saturday night, it's a "male character performer."

"Desperation is a stinky cologne, John."

Movie? Anyone?

One can practically write your Scouts comments before one has read them. Scott Stewart must have p*ssed in your Cheerios one day long ago.

Robes are supposed to represent a voodoo/shaman/underworld figure according to the San Antonio commentary. The story is that the "regular guy" who was a petty thief was revived by a Shaman and given superpowers by her, which she had him use for her benefit to start, and then he later decided to use the powers for good instead. IMO, the robes represent the voodoo/shaman/underworld concept pretty well.

I belive the libretto must be better and more easily explained on the field when you are dealing with unfamiliar stories.

Reminds me of "Madison Scouts Subtlety" as expressed by their famous 70s arranger Ray Baumgardt. Basically he described various things which were not subtle at all like sticking a knife in ones face or stomping them with iron workboots or getting up in peoples faces and making their ears bleed and referred to that as Madison subtlety.

Maybe they dont need to follow that exact direction, but something more along those lines perhaps?

I belive the libretto must be better and more easily explained on the field when you are dealing with unfamiliar stories.

Reminds me of "Madison Scouts Subtlety" as expressed by their famous 70s arranger Ray Baumgardt. Basically he described various things which were not subtle at all like sticking a knife in ones face or stomping them with iron workboots or getting up in peoples faces and making their ears bleed and referred to that as Madison subtlety.

Maybe they dont need to follow that exact direction, but something more along those lines perhaps?

I think the robes are effective in giving that "creepy" voodoo feeling that they intended, but dropping that aspect entirely after the first part of the opener doesn't make sense. If they are really exploring the voodoo/witch doctor's role in creating the superhero and how the superhero ultimately defies her and turns to good, then keeping the voodoo aspect present throughout the show in some form would make the theme more cohesive. I know that the flags are supposed to represent good/evil with the light/dark snakes, but having the whole guard in the same superhero unis makes it hard to differentiate. Wondering if they already have something up their sleeves to fix this, and if this new character performer will be part of the solution.

I think the robes are effective in giving that "creepy" voodoo feeling that they intended, but dropping that aspect entirely after the first part of the opener doesn't make sense. If they are really exploring the voodoo/witch doctor's role in creating the superhero and how the superhero ultimately defies her and turns to good, then keeping the voodoo aspect present throughout the show in some form would make the theme more cohesive. I know that the flags are supposed to represent good/evil with the light/dark snakes, but having the whole guard in the same superhero unis makes it hard to differentiate. Wondering if they already have something up their sleeves to fix this, and if this new character performer will be part of the solution.

Ken Karlin gave an excellent description of the story during his San Antonio commentary. The robes and costumes make sense. It's not high concept art, but it is fun and engaging.