open note to Spirit bassist

I hate the addition of these instruments to the field of "marching music", but you have done a superb job in a position that puts you in a spotlight of a very volatile topic. You have done great and I enjoyed your musicality. Good job and I hope you never heard the venomous hate that people poured forth at the Garfield singer. I aopologise for not standiing at the conclusion of your show. It is a very entertaining one and it deserved a full standing O. Keep plucking away and know that you converted one old timer to accept the new reality.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not reopen that whole Cadets thing again, and I'm no fan of amplified singing or electronic instruments in drum corps, but it was hard for me to understand the bile directed personally at Amy, and wouldn't want to see any go the Spirit bass player's way as well. Love change or hate it in any form it takes, the one person who is least responsible for it in drum corps is the performer. Sit quietly if you must, email protests to the corps directors, but why boo the performer for decisions others have made?

I hate the addition of these instruments to the field of "marching music", but you have done a superb job in a position that puts you in a spotlight of a very volatile topic. You have done great and I enjoyed your musicality. Good job and I hope you never heard the venomous hate that people poured forth at the Garfield singer. I aopologise for not standiing at the conclusion of your show. It is a very entertaining one and it deserved a full standing O. Keep plucking away and know that you converted one old timer to accept the new reality.

VERY classy note and very good sentiment. Whether we love or hate the changes in our activity, the kids on the field are the LAST ones we should hold responsible. They are just out there working every day trying to make the product they have been given better for the audience that sees them every night.

And I agree, I knew of this young man when he was in High School and he can flat out play... GREAT musician.

I can't wait to see how DCP treats the first sax player in the pit.

I can't wait to see how DCP treats the first sax player in the pit.

It won't be pretty.

I wonder if corps directors prepare performers for this. You've gotta pick the right person, obviously, somebody who thrives on artistic freedom and controversy and who is ready to be a lightning rod if need be.

I must admit that when I read the title of this thread, my first thought was, "oh crap, here we go again."

Thanks, 84skyrydr, for the classy note, and for having the courage to "man up" and come on a public forum like this to admit that the young man changed your mind. You're a class act.

You, sir, are a true gentleman.

First off, nice post by the OP. If electronics are not your thing, or narration, vocals, and what have you, that's perfectly understandable. There have been changes, and not all of them have been with unanimous approval--quite the contrary.

That bass player for Spirit is excellent, and on a general note I am hearing lots of good things coming out of the pits this year. I actually like the inclusion of the synth and all, much more than vocals and narration. What I think works well is sounds clips (like Cadets have in Cool), some well-written synth effects, some electric bass/synth bass (if well orchestrated in appropriate spots), and the merging of all these new sounds.

For me personally, I removed myself from the need to have drum corps be only about brass, drums, and marching many years ago. The guards are so much more integrated (although, this at times presents problems), and there is a lot we can do without taking too much away from the base elements.

There is no doubt these changes will bother some, perhaps even chase some away, but for me, personally, I am really enjoying the colors and sounds that are being achieved. I think too much narration is probably the only thing that bothers me.

Edited by jwillis35